Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Precheck [BA participation]

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2018, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by johnaalex
Must adit I am not sure if I have entered my KTN correctly for an upcoming trip to Phoenix, would the BA website spot an incorrect KTN?

TIA
In general, probably not - I would go and enter it again.

rb211.
johnaalex likes this.
Old May 20, 2018, 7:38 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
One other advantage of having global entry is that customs can be a lot quicker too. Here at SAN, passengers are required to have their luggage X-rayed when coming into the country. Depending on how long it takes your luggage to come out, that queue can get rather long pretty quickly. Passenger with GE can bypass the X-ray line and head straight to the customs officer. That has saved me a bunch of time when the priority bag tags don't do their job.
Old May 20, 2018, 7:40 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Marriott LTP
TSA Pre worked perfectly at SAN Diego today. Printed on my boarding pass. I had entered KTN into the booking on ba.com as well as asking my TA to do it.
Old May 21, 2018, 1:45 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by abligh
But returning to TSA Pre: I wouldn't bother at JFK.
It's always a bit of a letdown when you go through this process, especially when it is new to the TSA staff in the terminal and there are inconsistencies. I would consider no shoes/jackets removal a nice bonus, but yes, when it is like this (as it is in several airports across the US where there isn't room to add extra lanes) it is not exactly a life changer. Is there or will there be a TSA Pre line at the main security area in T7? Does anyone know?

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Wouldn’t JFK T7 premium uphill ramp be a large majority of BA passengers and therefore have the pre now? Does this mean the CW and F desks will be far busier with passengers getting their BP printed manually?! You could almost do with the agent at the front of the premium ramp printing paper BPs.
Technically you should not need this in such a line, as the marker for having TSA Pre is not your BP as such, but what happens when you scan. The beeps are different if you have PreCheck and this will happen with a mobile BP as well; the app just doesn't have the little green check above the QR code you get on AA, for example. When the lines are distinct there's often an airport staff managing entrance sans scanning, so you do need something visible to show (eg at SFO T2 when you head towards the far left PreCheck lane or at LAX when you approach the escalator to go up to the PreCheck area), but if you're heading towards the same line it shouldn't matter. Will work better where they give you a plastic card, as LondonElite describes, than if they try to stamp something, though
Old May 21, 2018, 3:20 am

Related question to those that might know the answer

I printed a BP for a US friend flying LHR-LAX today, and it has TSA Pre Check under the bar code. What's the point of this ex-LHR?
Old May 21, 2018, 3:26 am

Zero point, but it always prints out because the KTN is associated with the whole booking and most airlines code their systems to print or mark a boarding pass if there is a valid KTN on the booking. They don't check origin, whether you are on a connection and won't need to clear security etc etc. They just print it.

Incidentally, as a rule, the system should do some form of validity checking: if you put on a BS KTN you should get nothing on the BP. Someone might want to try
Old May 21, 2018, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by MarkedMan
Zero point, but it always prints out because the KTN is associated with the whole booking and most airlines code their systems to print or mark a boarding pass if there is a valid KTN on the booking. They don't check origin, whether you are on a connection and won't need to clear security etc etc. They just print it.

Incidentally, as a rule, the system should do some form of validity checking: if you put on a BS KTN you should get nothing on the BP. Someone might want to try
Thank you. Incidentally there was no KTN entered.
Old May 21, 2018, 3:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by lavajava
I printed a BP for a US friend flying LHR-LAX today, and it has TSA Pre Check under the bar code. What's the point of this ex-LHR?
If it was an AA flight it would remove a security check at LHR (and for BA, bearing in mind Joint Business and potentially irrops there could be a flight swap). If there was an connecting flight from LAX then the next boarding pass should also have PreCheck, which is the bigger benefit.
lavajava likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If it was an AA flight it would remove a security check at LHR (and for BA, bearing in mind Joint Business and potentially irrops there could be a flight swap). If there was an connecting flight from LAX then the next boarding pass should also have PreCheck, which is the bigger benefit.
Really? Can't say I ever noticed and always got the security quiz and my boarding pass flagged me as PreCheck, UK Security is unconcerned by all this, so no difference there. is this a new thing? Haven't been on AA out of LHR in about two and a half years now.
Old May 21, 2018, 3:08 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de Actes Bénéfiques pour les Autres, BAEC Gold.
I was a little concerned yesterday when I did my online check in for my flight today from Boston to London, that no Known Traveller box appeared to input my KTN..

How upon checking in at Logan, the check in lady said they were already aware of my KTN and the printed boarding card had TSA PRE on the top.

There is no separate TSA PRE lane at Logan Terminal E.

Going through security my Boarding pass was stamped in red with the words ‘TSA Boston EXPEDITED’ and I was instructed that although laptops and iPads/kindles had to be removed from baggage, anything else such as small liquids/iPhones could stay in the bag. Also there was no need to remove shoes going through the archway. The two Spanish ladies behind me were most put out that they had to remove their shoes but that I didn’t have to!

As usual my crutches had to go through the X-ray but no swabbing them here.

BM
Old May 21, 2018, 3:13 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by MarkedMan
. is this a new thing? Haven't been on AA out of LHR in about two and a half years now.
It changed about 6 months ago, I would guess.
lavajava likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by BarneyMcGrew
I was a little concerned yesterday when I did my online check in for my flight today from Boston to London, that no Known Traveller box appeared to input my KTN..

How upon checking in at Logan, the check in lady said they were already aware of my KTN and the printed boarding card had TSA PRE on the top.

There is no separate TSA PRE lane at Logan Terminal E.

Going through security my Boarding pass was stamped in red with the words ‘TSA Boston EXPEDITED’ and I was instructed that although laptops and iPads/kindles had to be removed from baggage, anything else such as small liquids/iPhones could stay in the bag. Also there was no need to remove shoes going through the archway. The two Spanish ladies behind me were most put out that they had to remove their shoes but that I didn’t have to!

As usual my crutches had to go through the X-ray but no swabbing them here.

BM
Although not intuitive to do so and certainly not at the same time as an El Al flight there is another security channel to the right of the BA desks at BOS and down the escalator/lift.

They seem to be using a new type of machine that doesn't require anything out of the bags (I think CT). Been a breeze last couple of times, pre Pre Check.

Appreciate not ideal if you cannot manage the extra walk to the gate/lounge.
ExpatExp and BarneyMcGrew like this.
Old May 21, 2018, 11:43 pm

It changed about 6 months ago, I would guess.
Nice, would help with T3 transfers I guess, no need to stop at the AA desks on the way through.
Old May 23, 2018, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by abligh
But returning to TSA Pre: I wouldn't bother at JFK.
There's a note out that TSA PreCheck in its full version is coming to JFK T7 in late July (sodium dosage needed) with the new security channels currently under construction. There will be a dedicated PreCheck line, working in the usual way there (shoes on, bags unopened). What I can't work out is how this will work for (say) a Bronze passenger with PreCheck travelling WTP - it can't be in the new First Wing, unless there will either be 2 lines or a clever queuing / feeding system on one side the First Wing.

BOS and EWR may get full PreCheck if the numbers demand it, but they are sticking with the current "expedited" arrangements for the time being.

Apparently all other BA stations in the USA are covered by existing PreChecks.
Steve_ZA and rockflyertalk like this.
Old May 23, 2018, 7:23 pm

Apparently all other BA stations in the USA are covered by existing PreChecks.
I can't think of one that isn't for sure, although the last time I was in MIA you still had the "card in hand" setup for E gate security (although you could of course walk over to the D side and clear there). It could be another set up like T8 where there is a line for F pax which takes you to the front of the PreCheck line; I would have to think you'd be rrouted somewhere else anyway as I can't see how you'd get two lines through the current hole. Hopefully it will be there by August 26th.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.