Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Ex DUB logistics and positioning | clinic thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pilot37
This is a "clinic" thread, so a great way to find out how to go via Dublin Airport en route to somewhere else (probably!). It covers issues such as back to back flights, overnight stopovers, passport and security issues, and logistical issues. There have been some recent posts about the viability of back to back trips, for which more reports of recent experiences would be helpful. See post 1468 onwards for more information.

Other threads which may well be useful include:
BA Tier Point Runs 2017
Premium Fare deals (J and F)
Ex-Mainland Europe Travel Planning Guide
Back-to-back / Immediate Turnarounds at BA Destinations
Travel with BA from Cork, Shannon and Knock - a pictorial guide

These sorts of flight arrangements aren't for everyone. If you have a family and luggage to check in, the potential cost savings have to weighed against the additional hassle and risk. Generally speaking it is safest to go either back to back or overnight - the latter is easier with checked luggage. The underlying logic for this is in this post.
Print Wikipost

Ex DUB logistics and positioning | clinic thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2017, 1:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Not sure if it's been mentioned already, but the 200 gate pier at DUB is now arrivals/departures segregated.

Anyone doing back to backs good luck, you'll need it!
Thanks for confirming, I guess we knew this was going to happen at some point.

It doesn't rule out B2B, until fairly recently it was often done there, despite the need for passport control, security, and the walk around airside-landside-airside. But no-one is going to pretend it is stress-free now, there are going to be better places for B2B.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 1:10 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

It doesn't rule out B2B, it was often done there despite the need for passport control, security, and the walk around airside-landside-airside. But no-one is going to pretend it is stress-free now.
I think the problem now with a b2b is that the immigration lines at the 200 gates from what I have seen reported are much more likely to be busy slowing you down. The 300 gates of course used to involve going landside but the immigration queues there rarely seemed to be busy so you could exit quite quickly.

Not sure what that means for the rating for DUB in the b2b thread. It's not a "good" anymore I guess. I also wonder if this means BA will continue using the 200 gates or may swap back to the 300 gates.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 1:33 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by KARFA
I think the problem now with a b2b is that the immigration lines at the 200 gates from what I have seen reported are much more likely to be busy slowing you down. The 300 gates of course used to involve going landside but the immigration queues there rarely seemed to be busy so you could exit quite quickly.

Not sure what that means for the rating for DUB in the b2b thread. It's not a "good" anymore I guess. I also wonder if this means BA will continue using the 200 gates or may swap back to the 300 gates.
I certainly think we will need to monitor this, the fear was/is that a mass of Ryanair passengers would impede fast access to landside, with further risk to non EEA passport holders. I have used the 200 gates passport queue in the last couple of months (off Ryanair, heading to NCL) and it was fine, no delays.

The practical alternative, since fares are often the same, is the BA codeshare to ORK and SNN (details of how to do this is in the dashboard, ORK is the better of the two). So that's on Aer Lingus, and in some cases ORK may not be a true back to back, though otherwise it typically will be feasible.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 1:38 am

I certainly think we will need to monitor this, the fear was/is that a mass of Ryanair passengers would impede fast access to landside, with further risk to non EEA passport holders. I have used the 200 gates passport queue in the last couple of months (off Ryanair, heading to NCL) and it was fine, no delays.

The practical alternative, since fares are often the same, is the BA codeshare to ORK and SNN (details of how to do this is in the dashboard, ORK is the better of the two). So that's on Aer Lingus, and in some cases ORK may not be a true back to back, though otherwise it typically will be feasible.
Yes, I may try and head to DUB soon to have a look myself.

ORK or SNN may be a possibility in terms of ease of b2b, but in terms of TPs I think you would lose out as there is no business cabin on EI flights between the UK and Ireland so it would book in Y selling class earning 20 TP rather than J earning 40 TP per flight. Additionally there is the practical aspect when connecting on to or from a BA T5 flight that you would now need to head to T2 rather than stay in T5 for a BA flight to DUB.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 2:26 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)

DUB is a regular destination for me. The immigration queue can be anything from just a few minutes up to 20-25 minutes from the 200 gates. Since they started scanning passports it's taking longer to pass through. I preferred the 300 gates for DUB, often no queue at all at Immigration.

For those using DUB as an ex-EU I'd certainly recommend arriving the night before.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
DUB is a regular destination for me. The immigration queue can be anything from just a few minutes up to 20-25 minutes from the 200 gates. Since they started scanning passports it's taking longer to pass through. I preferred the 300 gates for DUB, often no queue at all at Immigration.

For those using DUB as an ex-EU I'd certainly recommend arriving the night before.
Feeling a bit thick here.... I'm doing an ex-DUB route next year, for th will first time, though I've done ex-BRU before. Do we clear US customs/immigration in DUB thn, before flying back to LHR for our connecting flight to the US???? (Planning on flying into DUB the day before, not risking a B2B)...
Old Jun 5, 2017, 2:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by catsilversword
Feeling a bit thick here.... I'm doing an ex-DUB route next year, for th will first time, though I've done ex-BRU before. Do we clear US customs/immigration in DUB thn, before flying back to LHR for our connecting flight to the US???? (Planning on flying into DUB the day before, not risking a B2B)...
You only pre-clear the US Border in DUB if you are flying direct from DUB to the USA. If you are connecting at LHR you will reclear security there and go through the US Border in the USA.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by catsilversword
DUB does have preclearance for the US but it is only in T2 and only for flights heading directly to the US. As you are coming back to LHR before going to the US you will do US customs and immigration on arrivals at your first port of call in the US.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 3:19 am

DUB does have preclearance for the US but it is only in T2 and only for flights heading directly to the US. As you are coming back to LHR before going to the US you will do US customs and immigration on arrivals at your first port of call in the US.
Ah, thank you, that makes perfect sense!
Old Jun 5, 2017, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Not sure if it's been mentioned already, but the 200 gate pier at DUB is now arrivals/departures segregated.

Anyone doing back to backs good luck, you'll need it!
Thanks for the heads up - I'm doing an ex-eu with a good few hours gap, but I was looking for the B2B flight.

Now I know not to!
Old Jun 5, 2017, 5:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold

It doesn't rule out B2B, until fairly recently it was often done there, despite the need for passport control, security, and the walk around airside-landside-airside. But no-one is going to pretend it is stress-free now, there are going to be better places for B2B.
So I have a B2B in August at the end of a transatlantic trip (FLL-LHR-DUB/DUB-LHR) coming in on BA834 and back on BA835. Should I be considering changing this to a non B2B or watch and see what happens over next few weeks? On the way out I have 4 hours so I am not too worried by that.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 5:06 am

Do the LCY flights still use the 300 gates? Two years ago one would have warned about them as a B2B because of the short turnarounds, but they would seem to be a better option if the 200 gates can have 25-min immigration wait times.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by PaulN
So I have a B2B in August at the end of a transatlantic trip (FLL-LHR-DUB/DUB-LHR) coming in on BA834 and back on BA835. Should I be considering changing this to a non B2B or watch and see what happens over next few weeks? On the way out I have 4 hours so I am not too worried by that.
That flight is after the morning rush which is a positive.

Originally Posted by cynicalmoose
Do the LCY flights still use the 300 gates? Two years ago one would have warned about them as a B2B because of the short turnarounds, but they would seem to be a better option if the 200 gates can have 25-min immigration wait times.
There's a pretty even spilt between 200 and 300 gates.

300 gate immigration is also getting busier.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 12:26 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

Agreed. For what it's worth, my last few times through immigration at the 200 gates, it was much faster for a non-EU/UK passport holder to clear immigration. Whereas I made it through in 2-3 minutes on my US passport, most passengers from my flight took an additional 10-20 minutes with their EU or UK passports.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 5:52 pm

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Is 4 Hours enough time at DUB on Separate Tickets?

Hi All,

Heading DUB => HNL in a few months (Aug) and will be flying all sectors.

DUB-LCY-JFK-LAX-HNL-LAX-JFK-LHR-DUB on one ticket then looking to book DUB-LHR-GLA separately to get us home

JFK to LHR is in F on the way back so to make the most of our F experience we are planning on using CCR in JFK and in LHR then to get it again on way back to Scotland plan on doing DUB - LHR - GLA on a seperate redemption ticket to get us home and for more CCR access (All on same day)

Anyway we arrive at 12:05 into DUB and looking at redemption I have the option of either:

BA0837 15:20 DUB - LHR

BA0829 16:30 DUB - LHR

Is 3 hours enough time in DUB given we will have checked baggage or should I play it safe and take the 16:30 looking for some advice. Wanting to obviously maximise CCR time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.