Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Ex DUB logistics and positioning | clinic thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pilot37
This is a "clinic" thread, so a great way to find out how to go via Dublin Airport en route to somewhere else (probably!). It covers issues such as back to back flights, overnight stopovers, passport and security issues, and logistical issues. There have been some recent posts about the viability of back to back trips, for which more reports of recent experiences would be helpful. See post 1468 onwards for more information.

Other threads which may well be useful include:
BA Tier Point Runs 2017
Premium Fare deals (J and F)
Ex-Mainland Europe Travel Planning Guide
Back-to-back / Immediate Turnarounds at BA Destinations
Travel with BA from Cork, Shannon and Knock - a pictorial guide

These sorts of flight arrangements aren't for everyone. If you have a family and luggage to check in, the potential cost savings have to weighed against the additional hassle and risk. Generally speaking it is safest to go either back to back or overnight - the latter is easier with checked luggage. The underlying logic for this is in this post.
Print Wikipost

Ex DUB logistics and positioning | clinic thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2017, 10:18 am

I arrived at the DUB 200 gates a week ago on AF. Instead of entering the building using the route departing passengers would, we were walked along the tarmac direct to immigration (in windy, wet weather).

Based on this, I think it's very likely you'll have to exit and re-enter.

Does anyone have very recent experience of LHR arrivals? Maybe they're treated differently to the CDG one I experienced.

A back-to-back is still doable but difficult if the inbound is delayed as the staff will be trying to get boarding done as quickly as possible.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by hectorb
Thanks TyneTraveller. I would arrive DUB at 12:05 and depart at 12:50. This is Easter Saturday.
I would prepare to go landside, but I think you will be fine around that time providing you have CE and fast track. There is good advice on here which gives accurate direction in what to do in different scenarios which you may find useful to have a look through

Back-to-back / Immediate Turnarounds at BA Destinations
Old Feb 10, 2017, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by hectorb
I'm contemplating booking an LHR-DUB-LHR-etc B2B departing 15th April. The alternative option is via DUS or AMS but these are working out at about 150 euros more expensive. From what Kgmm77 writes it looks like I will need to go landside after arrival at DUB and then clear security again before heading back to LHR.

FTers advice on this welcome please: should I play safe and do DUS or AMS (which I have done before) or is DUB going to be reasonably reliable after the ominous sounding "segregation" which Kgmm77 refers to?

Hector B
You should be prepared to go landslide.

The 220 gates are now segregated (see post two above) although I don't think LHR use them, only LCY. The segregation for the rest of the 200 pier looks 80% complete, but no idea when it will open.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Kgmm77
You should be prepared to go landslide.

The 220 gates are now segregated (see post two above) although I don't think LHR use them, only LCY. The segregation for the rest of the 200 pier looks 80% complete, but no idea when it will open.
Hopefully not in the next 6 weeks!
Old Feb 10, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
For my HNL trip, we are staying overnight at the DUB Hilton and then going in the morning via LHR to SEA so we can upgrade to F. Also, I could not face getting the first flight to DUB for a B2B. Get to try AS for the first time.

On the way back, we are using AA to DUB via LAX and CLT to avoid doubling back so
we can get back to LHR earlier and to get the additional TPs.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
TravellerFrequently ... sorry, but that made me giggle. Where else on the Interwebby could you find [a] such a casual reference to trips to HNL, and [b] such circuitous routings? At last as LTG you can afford to lose the TPs for AS, SEA-HNL

T8191 pleads guilty to being a HNL Gold, an ANC Gold, and next Membership year year an OGG Gold
Old Feb 10, 2017, 2:13 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Thanks T8191. Glad that I am made you smile.

The OH is still striving for LTG and there is GGL to maintain...

However, bizarrely, for FT, we do actually want to go to HNL to celebrate the OH's major birthday.

Picking up a few TPs and doing it in a cost effective and relatively comfortable (if circuitous) route is all part of the fun!
Old Feb 14, 2017, 4:12 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Have a couple of quick turns required for an ex DUB - JNB booked. Will have bags and I am hoping 2.5-3 hours will be sufficient. Any advice or comments?
Old Feb 15, 2017, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Have a couple of quick turns required for an ex DUB - JNB booked. Will have bags and I am hoping 2.5-3 hours will be sufficient. Any advice or comments?
Go HBO. I personally wouldn't be doing a quick turn like that with luggage. If luggage is required (rare for me, unless travelling for vacation), I would build in a nightstop.

I will happily do a 2.5-3hr turn with HBO.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 5:49 am

Programs: BA GGL
Has anybody seen any further update to the 200 gates segregation work?

Planning a LHR-Dub back to back Thurs 9th March, so wondering if I'll need to break into a run!

On a related note, any views on immigration for an 1830 Thursday arrival?

Many thanks
Old Feb 22, 2017, 6:14 am

Programs: EI AC Silver, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by woglet86

Planning a LHR-Dub back to back Thurs 9th March, so wondering if I'll need to break into a run!

Many thanks
I don't know if the segregation is completed yet but I did come through the 200 gates on a FR flight on Monday at 17.45 and it was busy and crowded at the immigration booths. I made a note of the time and it took me 8 mins from joining the immigration line to get through which is still not bad but you may start sweating a bit if on a B2B.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 6:19 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
I'll be passing through DUB this weekend (inbound from LCY and outbound to LHR), so I'll be sure to note the current arrangement and report back in case nobody has posted it here in the meantime.

Pilot37
Old Feb 22, 2017, 6:42 am
sgm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by woglet86

Many thanks
Came into the 200 gates from LHR last week and no change to lack of segregation. Observed same on departure (ie arriving and departing mix). Building work ongoing, which may relate to future segregation. Don't know.

As noted above immigration was BAD. 45 min in the queue. Few staff, many max, and passports are now scanned. Ireland of the welcomes, not.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 6:43 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sgm
Came into the 200 gates from LHR last week and no change to lack of segregation. Observed same on departure (ie arriving and departing mix). Building work ongoing, which may relate to future segregation. Don't know.

As noted above immigration was BAD. 45 min in the queue. Few staff, many max, and passports are now scanned. Ireland of the welcomes, not.
I think this sounds ominous. When segregation is introduced and if BA continue to use the 200 gates, perhaps DUB ceases to be a good airport to do a b2b.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by sgm

What time of day was that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.