Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Ex DUB logistics and positioning | clinic thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pilot37
This is a "clinic" thread, so a great way to find out how to go via Dublin Airport en route to somewhere else (probably!). It covers issues such as back to back flights, overnight stopovers, passport and security issues, and logistical issues. There have been some recent posts about the viability of back to back trips, for which more reports of recent experiences would be helpful. See post 1468 onwards for more information.

Other threads which may well be useful include:
BA Tier Point Runs 2017
Premium Fare deals (J and F)
Ex-Mainland Europe Travel Planning Guide
Back-to-back / Immediate Turnarounds at BA Destinations
Travel with BA from Cork, Shannon and Knock - a pictorial guide

These sorts of flight arrangements aren't for everyone. If you have a family and luggage to check in, the potential cost savings have to weighed against the additional hassle and risk. Generally speaking it is safest to go either back to back or overnight - the latter is easier with checked luggage. The underlying logic for this is in this post.
Print Wikipost

Ex DUB logistics and positioning | clinic thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2017, 6:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by KARFA
I think this sounds ominous. When segregation is introduced and if BA continue to use the 200 gates, perhaps DUB ceases to be a good airport to do a b2b.
Yes, the details will certainly matter here, but we were collectively touting DUB before the move to the 200 gates, so it may not be game over. Luckily there are often good alternatives elsewhere.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 1:47 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by KARFA
I think this sounds ominous. When segregation is introduced and if BA continue to use the 200 gates, perhaps DUB ceases to be a good airport to do a b2b.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, the details will certainly matter here, but we were collectively touting DUB before the move to the 200 gates, so it may not be game over. Luckily there are often good alternatives elsewhere.
For what it's worth (which may not be much as I may be the only non-EEA person on here to do the occasional ex-DUB), I would not recommend a back to back for those without a passport from the UK or EU, especially after the 200 gate construction is completed.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 3:54 pm
sgm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by flashware
What time of day was that?
5pm ish on a Wednesday.

Departing Friday evening, BA were apologising to arriving pax for the long wait at immigration. Apparently the immigration hall become so busy, BA pax were held at the entry to the hall.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by sgm
5pm ish on a Wednesday.

Departing Friday evening, BA were apologising to arriving pax for the long wait at immigration. Apparently the immigration hall become so busy, BA pax were held at the entry to the hall.
Not good. Hoping the work isn't done by late March else might be screwed...
Old Feb 24, 2017, 3:52 am

I have booked a B2B at Dublin 5th April arriving BA824 at 19:05 and departing BA823 at 19:45, the latter being segment 1 of a trip to Miami. Reading the recent posts I'm getting a bit concerned and wondering if I switch the separate trip to Dublin to an earlier flight. I know much is written about the B2B being betting than allowing 2 or 3 hours, but now I'm starting to doubt the wisdom of Dublin given it seems to be on the verge of making it necessary to go landside and clear security again. Any thoughts on whether switching to the 19:05 arrival to BA830 arriving 15:35 is a good idea? That would allow just over 4 hours to change in Dublin, enough for a bit of slippage.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by sgm
Came into the 200 gates from LHR last week and no change to lack of segregation. Observed same on departure (ie arriving and departing mix). Building work ongoing, which may relate to future segregation. Don't know.

As noted above immigration was BAD. 45 min in the queue. Few staff, many max, and passports are now scanned. Ireland of the welcomes, not.
I had a similar experience arriving into the 200 gates at DUB at 16.45 on a Friday a couple of weeks ago - although the queue probably took 20 mins rather than the 45 mentioned here (might have helped that we were able to join at the half way point, don't know if that's changed). It was a marked difference to previous trips though, when I have just walked straight up to the counter.

Has it always been the case that the Ryanair flights come to the immigration desks used by the 200 gates, or is that what's causing the hold ups?
Old Feb 24, 2017, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by cosmo74
Has it always been the case that the Ryanair flights come to the immigration desks used by the 200 gates, or is that what's causing the hold ups?
That immigration hall has been shared with the 100 gates since they were built.

The change now is that all passports are being scanned. At busy times I'm now waiting 5-10mins, whereas before it was less than 1 min on average. Still not bad in the context, but a proportionately big change.

Non-EU I would strongly advise against a back to back. The non-EU queue yesterday looked like they were there for a while.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Experience from today on BA628 from LHR to DUB

Plane arrived gate 16:29 - Gate 204
Doors opened 16:31. Steps down to tarmac and then directed to door at bottom of the gate before walking up stairs to enter the departure area at the gate. This meant that if I was doing a BTB it would have been possible to just step into the gate waiting area ie departing and arriving passengers were mixed.

For completeness:

Arrived at passport control hall at 16:34
Went through automatic gate, departed passport area at 16:36 (passport hall was completely empty)
Collected baggage and went through customs at 16:49
Old Feb 25, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: VS Silver, EK Gold, BA GGL/CCR
I know it goes against the English psyche somewhat but if there's a queue and you're in a rush just ask to go to the front. ;-)

There are always at least three DAA "helpers" in the 100/200 immigration hall and you'd be very unlucky to find one that wouldn't just walk you to the top of the queue if you told them you were connecting to a flight that was just about to close.

The Irish are a lot more laid back about queuing etiquette so just take a deep breath and go for it!

Same applies to security!
Old Mar 7, 2017, 5:47 am

Programs: BA GGL
Apologies for nothing to contribute at this stage. However just wondered if anybody has seen an update on 200 gates in the last couple of weeks? Have a B2B planned arriving DUB 1830 on Thursday, and would definitely appreciate a straightforward one!

Will acquaint myself with the immigration / security guides on here just in case, and report back after Thursday.

Many thanks
Old Mar 7, 2017, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by woglet86
Apologies for nothing to contribute at this stage. However just wondered if anybody has seen an update on 200 gates in the last couple of weeks? Have a B2B planned arriving DUB 1830 on Thursday, and would definitely appreciate a straightforward one!

Will acquaint myself with the immigration / security guides on here just in case, and report back after Thursday.

Many thanks
As of yesterday, structural work appears almost complete, with external cladding and internal fit out ongoing.

Given the need for fire suppression, power, lighting etc. If I had to guess I'd say it's at least a few week off and probably longer.

The 200 gate pier is a mess internally due to the works, with even more hoardings, but they seem to have reduced the FR activity to compensate.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: EI AC Silver, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
As of yesterday, structural work appears almost complete, with external cladding and internal fit out ongoing.

Given the need for fire suppression, power, lighting etc. If I had to guess I'd say it's at least a few week off and probably longer.
Arriving on BA836 yesterday at 2.30 pm there we no delays at the immigration booths and wandered up to an empty kiosk. The queues here seem to be very variable depending on the flow of pax in from the 100 gates.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 1:37 am

I decided not to take the risk on the gates being finished by the end of the month, especially as I'm on a non-EU passport so have changed to the earlier flight. 4 hours to kill as a result but less stress so worth it. At least I can get some work done while I wait....
Old Mar 20, 2017, 1:24 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Just a quick update on the building works at DUB at the 200 gates.

Gates 221 - 224 are now officially segregating arriving / departing pax.
The aircraft which will board from these areas will be positioned in the corner of the tarmac between the 200 and 300 gates (those that are familiar with DUB will know it as the area where the LCY BA aircraft are usually parked up over the weekend stop-overs).

Arriving pax to DUB on aircraft which will depart from the 221-224 gates will enter through the, currently still mixed, hexagon building, but departing pax are fully segregated using a passage way / stairs to the left of the security doors which seperate the 300 and 100 gate walk-way from the 200 gates.

Based on current building works it looks to be another month or two before the rest of the building will be fully segregated, but just something for any b2b planners to be aware of.

Pilot37
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by Pilot37
Just a quick update on the building works at DUB at the 200 gates.

Gates 221 - 224 are now officially segregating arriving / departing pax.
The aircraft which will board from these areas will be positioned in the corner of the tarmac between the 200 and 300 gates (those that are familiar with DUB will know it as the area where the LCY BA aircraft are usually parked up over the weekend stop-overs).

Arriving pax to DUB on aircraft which will depart from the 221-224 gates will enter through the, currently still mixed, hexagon building, but departing pax are fully segregated using a passage way / stairs to the left of the security doors which seperate the 300 and 100 gate walk-way from the 200 gates.

Based on current building works it looks to be another month or two before the rest of the building will be fully segregated, but just something for any b2b planners to be aware of.

Pilot37
sorry can you clarify if someone LHR-DUB-LHR will likely have to reclear security in Dublin? I'm confused by your labelling of arriving pax and departing pax.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.