Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Ex DUB logistics and positioning | clinic thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pilot37
This is a "clinic" thread, so a great way to find out how to go via Dublin Airport en route to somewhere else (probably!). It covers issues such as back to back flights, overnight stopovers, passport and security issues, and logistical issues. There have been some recent posts about the viability of back to back trips, for which more reports of recent experiences would be helpful. See post 1468 onwards for more information.

Other threads which may well be useful include:
BA Tier Point Runs 2017
Premium Fare deals (J and F)
Ex-Mainland Europe Travel Planning Guide
Back-to-back / Immediate Turnarounds at BA Destinations
Travel with BA from Cork, Shannon and Knock - a pictorial guide

These sorts of flight arrangements aren't for everyone. If you have a family and luggage to check in, the potential cost savings have to weighed against the additional hassle and risk. Generally speaking it is safest to go either back to back or overnight - the latter is easier with checked luggage. The underlying logic for this is in this post.
Print Wikipost

Ex DUB logistics and positioning | clinic thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2017, 2:52 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Just to say that if you stay at DUB and use the Hilton Dublin Airport, there are some changes from 1 August:

- Newer, larger buses
- Every 30 mins from hotel/airport
- EUR 5 roundtrip and EUR3 one way fare
Old Jul 8, 2017, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Thanks, Markie. We're doing an overnight there on 9 Aug.

Looking at my March timetable, the service intervals were 30>45 minutes anyway (I know that because we always seem to just miss the bus!). If they're now all 30 min rotations, that will be a help, especially in the middle of the day when 45 min seemed the norm.

Shame about the price changes. Used to be free to the hotel, and €2 for the return. Although, last time, as HHons Gold we weren't charged at all. Oh well, it's a fractional %ge of the cost of a holiday in Hawaii
Old Jul 8, 2017, 3:49 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Another thanks to Markie.

Off to Hawai'i next too via DUB and the Hilton Airport Hotel, although a few days before T8191, so no minor FT Do in the bar!

Somehow, the fee has never been charged for the transport but it is popular so probably a good revenue source. Already booked for the earlish morning transfer back to the airport.

Last edited by TravellerFrequently; Jul 8, 2017 at 4:12 am
Old Jul 8, 2017, 6:16 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
Somehow, the fee has never been charged for the transport but it is popular so probably a good revenue source. Already booked for the earlish morning transfer back to the airport.
I've also never been charged, but assumed that was due to status. I'll post if I'm charged in the morning.

Also, I verified the arrivals into gate 204 today. Instead of walking up the gate 204, you walk to the right and again walk up stairs or take a lift. You then end up on the opposite side of the building of gate 204 in a quarantined area.

The doors leading back to the 200 gates are there as mentioned earlier, but they have a big Do not enter symbol on them and they are locked. This is near the option to circle back to gates 217-220. So there is a way to get back to the 200 gates without clearing immigration, but it would probably result in being arrested. The terminal itself still feels very unfinished in places.

The newer Excess Baggage/Left Luggage office is open and is pretty small and easy to miss. After you clear immigration, turn right towards the rental cars and then walk along the right most area, and it is on the right side of a narrow corridor. They take the bags away to a storage facility nearby, so allow 5-10 minutes for retrieval.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 8:27 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by dylanks
I've also never been charged, but assumed that was due to status. I'll post if I'm charged in the morning.
It doesn't start until 1 August!
Old Jul 9, 2017, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by Markie
It doesn't start until 1 August!
Understood that the new option starts August 1st. What I meant is that it has long been said that you get charged for the return to the airport from the Hilton DUB, but I've not been charged on previous stays.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 3:28 am

I'm not sure if this was posted previously, but the DAA lounge has received a nice refresh sometime over the past few months. All seating has been replaced, and it feels like a better use of space to provide more seating capacity (perhaps a 20-30% increase in the number of seats). All food is now on the right, and the left side has a small barista area. Upgraded power ports and seats are in a few areas along the walls including near the lounge entrance and where the business area was previously. Overall this should help quite a bit with the typical crowding during peak times.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

@ Dylanks and TravellerFrequently ... on my last Hilton transit I asked the desk to bill the room for the €2/person return shuttle fee. I was told "No Charge for HHons Gold"

Of course, that may change wef 1 August ... they certainly seem to be trying to squeeze extra/make savings, based on the changes I've seen in the last couple of visits.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 7:02 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by T8191
@ Dylanks and TravellerFrequently ... on my last Hilton transit I asked the desk to bill the room for the €2/person return shuttle fee. I was told "No Charge for HHons Gold"

Of course, that may change wef 1 August ... they certainly seem to be trying to squeeze extra/make savings, based on the changes I've seen in the last couple of visits.
Hopefully not to the previously good breakfast?!

I am not sure we will have time for breakfast before our 7AM shuttle, as I do not remember what time it started. Hopefully time for a quick bite.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 4:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Skymiles Plat
No more B2B at DUB

Morning all,

I'm a regular Ex-eu fan and had originally booked a DUB-LHR-LAX as a b2b but having read about the changes at DUB re-booked my outbound leg onto an earlier LHR-DUB flight, and thank god I did.

DUB is now firmly in the "poor" category for b2b for a couple or reasons.

1.) You must clear immigration and this is a time-lottery. Hit the back of an arriving A330 and you could be queuing for 10-15mins
2.) Got to either go airside or through Flight Connections, both requiring a full re-screen of baggage. I got stuck behind a family with child and took 5-10mins even in FT queue.
3.) lots of walking, or running!

My advice, avoid a b2b in dUblin...
Old Jul 10, 2017, 4:25 am

Programs: FB Plat; BAEC Gold
Noticed this morning that DUB have now removed the non return doors as you approach the 200 gates. Another signal that arrivaing and departing passengers are segregated for good.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 4:51 am

Programs: EI AC Silver, BAEC Gold
http://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin...elays-13103555

The old e-gates were part of a trail and are not operational at present and will be removed but a new extended e-gate facility will be available later in the year. This might allow a stress free B2B when installed.
This is discussed in the above link with the key point being

“Those gates have been removed from service with effect from 30 April as a procurement exercise has been recently completed for the development and purchase of a permanent ABC Gate facility at Dublin Airport initially and possibly other airports in time.

“Contract negotiations with the successful tenderer are expected to be concluded shortly and planning works are under way.”

"The new ABC gates are expected to be available for use by passengers in the autumn."
Old Jul 10, 2017, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
Hopefully not to the previously good breakfast?!

I am not sure we will have time for breakfast before our 7AM shuttle, as I do not remember what time it started. Hopefully time for a quick bite.
Breakfast started at 0630 the last time we went through, and was indeed excellent. Now, with '51st and Green' providing a "US-Airside" Lounge, I suspect we'll settle for a snack breakfast there instead ... the airline Lunch will not be too long in arriving!
Old Jul 10, 2017, 5:50 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA lifetime gold, Marriott Rewards platinum
Originally Posted by T8191

No free drink vouchers on my last two stays either..not that I resent paying for a pint of Guiness
Old Jul 10, 2017, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by martyndavid
No free drink vouchers on my last two stays either..not that I resent paying for a pint of Guiness
True ... I had forgotten that 'enhancement'

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.