Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Ex DUB logistics and positioning | clinic thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pilot37
This is a "clinic" thread, so a great way to find out how to go via Dublin Airport en route to somewhere else (probably!). It covers issues such as back to back flights, overnight stopovers, passport and security issues, and logistical issues. There have been some recent posts about the viability of back to back trips, for which more reports of recent experiences would be helpful. See post 1468 onwards for more information.

Other threads which may well be useful include:
BA Tier Point Runs 2017
Premium Fare deals (J and F)
Ex-Mainland Europe Travel Planning Guide
Back-to-back / Immediate Turnarounds at BA Destinations
Travel with BA from Cork, Shannon and Knock - a pictorial guide

These sorts of flight arrangements aren't for everyone. If you have a family and luggage to check in, the potential cost savings have to weighed against the additional hassle and risk. Generally speaking it is safest to go either back to back or overnight - the latter is easier with checked luggage. The underlying logic for this is in this post.
Print Wikipost

Ex DUB logistics and positioning | clinic thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2017, 3:16 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
Originally Posted by squeeler
You were rather fortunate IMO. One thing you cannot depend on in Dublin is 'delay in = delay out". I have been on the lucky end of some stunningly quick turn-arounds in Dublin in the past.
And Belfast too.

Also, don't underestimate the Irish ability for all passengers to board quickly. I've seen a full A320 boarded in under 10 minutes in Belfast. Irish passengers are conditioned to get on the plane and sit down, no faffing around!
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: Avios
Hi all, quick update on the Dublin status. I flew BA824 from LHR on the 28 July arriving at 200 gates (201 approximately 23 minutes late to on stand). Seat in 7C, I had no problem at all at immigration (all desks were open) and was able to walk round to the lounge within 10 minutes (I was Club Europe coming back and used fast track). At that point I waited for BA839 (I had originally booked on BA838) but would say that the flow through immigration was good and that having 8 immigration desks is an advantage over the 2 at 300 gates.

So based on this I would say travelling Club Europe both legs would make B2B feasible (and the option to queue jump at immigration would need to be a fall back if busy).
Old Aug 11, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by bd95
And Belfast too.

Also, don't underestimate the Irish ability for all passengers to board quickly. I've seen a full A320 boarded in under 10 minutes in Belfast. Irish passengers are conditioned to get on the plane and sit down, no faffing around!
The Ryanair style boarding at Dublin (front and rear stairs) definitely helps speed turn arounds at Dublin as well.

Pilot37
Old Aug 19, 2017, 10:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
You're pretty much assuming worst case scenario here. The reality, assuming you find someone to shove you to the front of the immigration queue, is:

4 minutes to immigration. 4 mins
1 minute in immigration. 2 mins (lots of staff, almost no queue)
3 minutes to Fast Track security (up the escalator, across the departures hall). (3 mins. Make sure you use escalator on right on exiting customs lane)
2 minutes in security. 7 mins. Didn't have fast track and quite a queue then got my carry on selected for an extra check. Grrr.
4 minutes to the gate. 4 mins.

That's 14 - about two minutes longer than it took me last week even with a couple of minor hold-ups, although I semi-jogged parts of it to make sure (which, incidentally, I don't recommend after drinking Champagne ...). It's not entirely comfortable, but nor will you be in any way last to board either.

There's no conformance at Dublin.
Just back from the trip so I thought I'd note actual timings. Place arrived spot on time at 1205. 20 mins in total and there were still 30 odd people to board when I got back. So not impossible but I don't think I'd chance it at the start of an itinerary.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Sorry I know this has likely been asked before but my search skills are failing.

Am I being totally stupid to look at booking

BA4461 DUB-LCY (schedule to arrive 08:30) and connect to

BA01 LCY-JFK (schedules departure 09:40) (to add a complication I'll be connecting at JFK to SFO am turning this into a TP to get Gold)

This will definitly be one ticket and I will have luggage.

And yes I know I'lll have to clear security. Not sure passport control though.

Thanks!
Old Aug 28, 2017, 1:15 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear

BA01 LCY-JFK (schedules departure 09:40) (to add a complication I'll be connecting at JFK to SFO am turning this into a TP to get Gold)

It's been a while since either UK or Ireland have done passport controls for those leaving the British Isles, it's all done by computer these days. You do have passport control in, er, Shannon, however but that's for some other folks. Just security at LCY, and the connection is fine, it's perfectly do-able in 30 minutes, and if it gets tight the LCY team will walk you through off the Dublin aircraft. When you get to the mini gate lounge in LCY make sure you tell the BA person on the door that you have checked luggage, and they will make an extra check that it is on board.

When you get into JFK, tell the ground agent meeting the aircraft at the gate that you are connecting. Otherwise watch the bags come off in T7 and lug it over yourself to T8 if you want to reduce the chance of delayed baggage.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 2:57 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Sorry I know this has likely been asked before but my search skills are failing.

Thanks!
A couple of years ago in the height of the TP run boom to Hawaii, we were waiting on the babybus at LCY for the Dublin flight to arrive with 13 connecting pax onboard, the majority of whom were going on from JFK to LAX and then Hawaii.
The Captain was very apologetic to those of us terminating in New York when he further delayed the babybus because the pax had made it but their luggage still had to clear the transfer system. We eventually left about 45 mins late but it was a great call on his part in my view. Trying to reunite pax with luggage on a TP run would I imagine be a nightmare.
He and the crew were amazed at the TP run concept. I of course was well versed thanks to FT! I did think though that TP runners and luggage were a contradiction in terminology
Old Aug 28, 2017, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

@corporate-wage-slave and @gcuk

Thanks for the comments - reassuring.

I did a similar trip last year but the DUB-LCY was the day before (and ended up being cancelled) so the tight connection wasn't an issue. And the luggage went through OK - I waitied at the JFK belt to make sure (again thanks to advice on here)

I actually chatted to the pilot on the LCY-SNN leg as he was in the queue behind me at LCY check-in and the TP run concept wasn't new to him nor to at least one of the cabin crew!
Calchas likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just to update you on this from my trip on 21st September.

Landed at 08:33

Doors opened at 08:40

Arrived security at 08:45

Left security at 08:53 (delayed by people standing in the way of the tray rollers after the scanners to get dressed again rather than using the tables)

Arrived Gate 24 at 08:58

The CSM - who saw I was conneting - proactivly gave me a 'priority' sticker for my boarding pass and I was allowed into the first security lane. In reality as security was so quiet it wouldn't have made any difference which lane I used - in fact it might have been quicker to use one of the others.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Trawled this thread as much as poss but have a couple of questions about DUB-USA direct. I have a DUB-PHL-LAX coming up and will be staying at the Premier Inn the night before. I've only done DUB-LHR-USA previously so the US pre-clearance facility will be a new experience - how long should I allow in the morning for an 11:20 departure? Also, I've seen mention on here, and on the Airport website, of fast-track security - is that a paid-only option or is it included for a Business Class ticket?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 4:07 pm
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lincolnite
Trawled this thread as much as poss but have a couple of questions about DUB-USA direct. I have a DUB-PHL-LAX coming up and will be staying at the Premier Inn the night before. I've only done DUB-LHR-USA previously so the US pre-clearance facility will be a new experience - how long should I allow in the morning for an 11:20 departure? Also, I've seen mention on here, and on the Airport website, of fast-track security - is that a paid-only option or is it included for a Business Class ticket?
I asked this very question this week on the Aer Lingus forum. There is a thread called “Dublin Airport Pre-clearance question” ? See #15 post. Sorry, cannot make link work on iPad. The answer is ‘about 90 mins’ but not sure about Fast Track. Global Entry helps apparently. I will update experience after Friday.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by squeeler

I asked this very question this week on the Aer Lingus forum. There is a thread called “Dublin Airport Pre-clearance question” ? See #15 post. Sorry, cannot make link work on iPad. The answer is ‘about 90 mins’ but not sure about Fast Track. Global Entry helps apparently. I will update experience after Friday.
Hi,

The link is

Dublin Airport Pre-clearance question

Regards

TBS

PS When I flew AA out of DUB to JFK ( 0850 flight) a couple of years ago there was fast track security but the longer part was waitnig for the immigration officer ( automatic machines had just been installed but were not working on my day). They will call pax out for flights thst will be close to boarding being completed.
squeeler likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
In the same way that Immigration wait times vary on arrival in the US dependent on several factors, it isn't possible to be definitive on pre-clearance time but, IME with the PHL flight, arrival at the airport between 90-120 minutes before departure time makes for an comfortable process.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 12:38 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Thanks - I was going to allow plenty of time.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 2:32 am
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Departed Carlton Hotel (which seems to have no soundproofing) on the 08.30 shuttle. They leave at 30 min intervals, and take 10 mins. I got my docs checked at the AA check in area, even though I am HBO. Fast Track certainly helped get through security - the normal queues looked long. Fast Track had only one channel, and the officer was making almost everybody repack their liquids into one of ‘his’ bags. Then a 10 min walk to US Preclearance, including two escalator rides down. There is another BP and passport check, followed by another “everything out” security screen. TSA pre was of no benefit here. The US border could be any airport border in the US. (I did not notice if the officers were armed, as they are at the US border in Canadian airports. Global Entry was a real help here. Overall it was about 40 mins from front door of the airport to duty free lounge. Then a 10 min walk to the very pleasant 51st & Green Lounge. I am glad I did not wait for the later shuttle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.