Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Dublin Airport Pre-clearance question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dublin Airport Pre-clearance question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2017, 4:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club
Question Dublin Airport Pre-clearance question

Hi, my wife and I are flying MAN-DUB-EWR in late August (economy outbound and business back). I was thinking of pre-booking the 51st Green Lounge past US Pre-clearance, but as it's on the pricey side I was only going to do that if we had enough time to make full use of it. My flight from MAN lands at 0905 and we don't leave DUB until 1300, however I wanted to check if we'd be able to proceed directly through US pre-clearance or do we have to wait until a specified time before the flight. I've read so much conflicting information on various site I'd really appreciate some clarity.

ps - We are hand luggage only.

Many Thanks, Rob
Old Jul 30, 2017, 6:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by bobbob1976
Hi, my wife and I are flying MAN-DUB-EWR in late August (economy outbound and business back). I was thinking of pre-booking the 51st Green Lounge past US Pre-clearance, but as it's on the pricey side I was only going to do that if we had enough time to make full use of it. My flight from MAN lands at 0905 and we don't leave DUB until 1300, however I wanted to check if we'd be able to proceed directly through US pre-clearance or do we have to wait until a specified time before the flight. I've read so much conflicting information on various site I'd really appreciate some clarity.

ps - We are hand luggage only.

Many Thanks, Rob
Only you can decide if you want to pay for 2x lounge invites.
I've used it quite a few times - am usually there for 30 mins or so.
I wouldn't be rushing to spend 3+ hours in there.
The lounge is nice enough but nothing to write home about. - reviews in this forum ad nauseam.
There are more options in the main departure hall upstairs from USCBP.
As to pre-clearance, there is no restriction - in terms of time - as to when you can go through.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 7:22 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
to answer your question, there is no allocated time to proceed to US pre clearance, so you can go as early as you want.

Personally if in Y class based on your timings i would pay for the 51st green lounge, as i would simply go straight from the MAN flight to pre clearance and then relax in the lounge until boarding. But thats just me.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 7:45 am

What time does the US pre-clearance close? There are some flights to the USA that depart at 4PM and fear that there is no pre-clearance.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 7:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by headinclouds
What time does the US pre-clearance close? There are some flights to the USA that depart at 4PM and fear that there is no pre-clearance.
No idea where you are getting your information?
It's quite incorrect.
ALL flights receive pre-clearance.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
The early-morning Ethiopian Airlines flight to LAX is the only US-bound flight from DUB that does not pre-clear.

51st & Green isn't a particularly great lounge - I'd advise doing something better with that money on your trip when you reach the US.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 4:49 pm

Is that because pre-clearance is closed or because they don't want to have to clear the through passengers?

Originally Posted by irishguy28
The early-morning Ethiopian Airlines flight to LAX is the only US-bound flight from DUB that does not pre-clear.

51st & Green isn't a particularly great lounge - I'd advise doing something better with that money on your trip when you reach the US.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 12:51 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Is that because pre-clearance is closed or because they don't want to have to clear the through passengers?
Wrong terminal, ET use T1

Pre-clearance is in T2

EI used to have a 0750 to JFK so pre clearance can be open early
Old Jul 31, 2017, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The terminal isn't the real issue, I think. ET just doesn't want to preclear its pax. And given that ET departs between 2 and 2.5 hours [their schedule varies: 06:25, 06:50, 07:10] ahead of the first pre-clearing flights, I'm not sure USCBP would want to open that early, or that ET would want to delay their flights that much.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 2:47 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
CBP requires a sterile area which cannot be provided in T1 and there is not space in the 5-8am range down at T2 due TATL arrives and the entire EI short haul fleet departing
Old Jul 31, 2017, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pax *could* be bussed to/from the plane if ET really wanted to pre-clear, but not use a T2 gate.

But ET's schedule is more important and they would never probably want to pay whatever extra costs would be associated with bringing in the CBP 3 hours earlier for one single flight.

Originally Posted by fora.ie
Pre-clearance costs up to €40 to use, which just adds to the airfare, so a lot of passengers don’t bother with it.

“It tends to be a second or third user option,” said Eoghan Corry, editor of Travel Extra trade magazine. “Someone gets stuck in a three-hour queue once and they get so frustrated they start taking notice of it.”

He noted that many Irish passengers would rather save €40 than use the facility.

“If it was as big a deal, all the airlines would use it,” Corry said, adding that Ethiopian Airlines, which operates a route from Dublin to Los Angeles, doesn’t use it. Even Aer Lingus didn’t offer the option on afternoon flights until three years ago.
EDIT: that article shows that the bus option wouldn't really fly. If the bags are not in the T2 luggage system then it makes secondary screening more difficult

Last edited by irishguy28; Jul 31, 2017 at 3:10 am
Old Aug 1, 2017, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
No idea where you are getting your information?
It's quite incorrect.
ALL flights receive pre-clearance.
Thanks. The next question is connecting BA from LHR to an EI flight to the USA. Is 3 hours enough? BA flight arrives 1pm or 2:45pm connecting to EI flight that departs at 4:10 pm. And they are separate award tickets. Carry-on bag only. Also, BA gold if that helps...

Last edited by headinclouds; Aug 1, 2017 at 10:08 am
Old Aug 1, 2017, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Thanks. The next question is connecting BA from LHR to an EI flight to the USA. Is 3 hours enough? BA flight arrives 1pm or 2:45pm connecting to EI flight that departs at 4:10 pm. And they are separate award tickets. Carry-on bag only. Also, BA gold if that helps...
You have plenty of time. The only thing to know is that you will need to go through immigration when connecting airside even if you arrive from a UK domestic flight. If you have an EU passport and can use the gates this should be no problem, but if not and you are coming in on a UK domestic flight you might be better off connecting landside, which would allow you to skip immigration.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 8:58 pm
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Apologies for bumping this thread, but I will be flying on AA DUB-PHL a couple of times in the coming weeks, and for the first time I will be using using pre-clearance. Departure is 10.35 am. I am seeking your advice on when to get to the airport. I have EU passport and Global Entry for the US.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 7:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by squeeler
Apologies for bumping this thread, but I will be flying on AA DUB-PHL a couple of times in the coming weeks, and for the first time I will be using using pre-clearance. Departure is 10.35 am. I am seeking your advice on when to get to the airport. I have EU passport and Global Entry for the US.
0900 (9am) should be fine. Allows for check-in and the two security screenings (first is regular and the second is pre-USCBP). Having Global Entry should make that part of the process relatively painless with no or very short lines. I did this (DUB-EWR) last week and despite having a bag to check was through to the 51st & Green Lounge in 25 mins.
squeeler likes this.

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; Jan 13, 2018 at 7:30 am Reason: fixed grammar

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.