Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Ex DUB logistics and positioning | clinic thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pilot37
This is a "clinic" thread, so a great way to find out how to go via Dublin Airport en route to somewhere else (probably!). It covers issues such as back to back flights, overnight stopovers, passport and security issues, and logistical issues. There have been some recent posts about the viability of back to back trips, for which more reports of recent experiences would be helpful. See post 1468 onwards for more information.

Other threads which may well be useful include:
BA Tier Point Runs 2017
Premium Fare deals (J and F)
Ex-Mainland Europe Travel Planning Guide
Back-to-back / Immediate Turnarounds at BA Destinations
Travel with BA from Cork, Shannon and Knock - a pictorial guide

These sorts of flight arrangements aren't for everyone. If you have a family and luggage to check in, the potential cost savings have to weighed against the additional hassle and risk. Generally speaking it is safest to go either back to back or overnight - the latter is easier with checked luggage. The underlying logic for this is in this post.
Print Wikipost

Ex DUB logistics and positioning | clinic thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:07 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by paul71
We are doing a ex-eu J to Miami next April on AA via PHL with baggage, currently an 11am departure, and trying to decide if it's OK or too risky to catch the BA832 that morning, landing in DUB at 810.
While flightstats shows only 4 out of the last 62 BA832s as landing late, and it is a first wave flight from Heathrow, I'm aware of the risks of minor schedule changes with both AA & BA shrinking this margin, the immigration queue and the walk from T1 to T2. I have Global Entry, but my wife does not yet (although hoping she gets this on a US trip in Spetember).

Because of the schedue change risk, and immigration queues, I'm leaning towards flying out the night before, but interested in anyone's thoughts on the risk level of flying out on the morning. Unfortunately HBO is not an option.
Personally I'd go for the night before, as that flight leaves you very little leeway, given you need to be checked in with AA by 10am - you only need an hour delay and long waits at immigration (as has been reported a number of times recently, and I've personally experienced) or baggage reclaim and you'll have missed the cut off. AA check in at Dublin is also not very speedy, even in business, so I'd certainly not want to turn up with only minutes to spare. You do also need to leave a decent amount of time to get through US immigration for your flight, and of course as you mentioned you need to change terminal in Dublin if you arrive on a BA flight - it's only a 5 min walk, but it all eats into your available time.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:42 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Ziz
Would it be worth noting the problems with the new 200 gate configuration in the wiki to let people know it's not as easy as it once was (even compared to the 300 gates).
Originally Posted by BobbySteel
Please do edit!
Obviously this is a community wiki and the community is free to edit it as it sees fit, but there may yet be an argument to say - is this really as big a problem as we think, given we don't yet have that much feedback?

For many years people very comfortably managed B2Bs including heading through immigration and security, and it does seem the one report of it being too close for comfort arose because the transfer route was used rather than taking the more conventional (for FT) Fast Track security from landside. Even then, the poster made it.

We have some more stringent passport checks, we have perhaps slightly more walking, but I'd say we don't yet definitively have something that says this is very likely to take 15 minutes longer every time.

We have a number of members heading through the process in the next few weeks, at different times, so hopefully that will allow us to build up a much fuller picture.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Obviously this is a community wiki and the community is free to edit it as it sees fit, but there may yet be an argument to say - is this really as big a problem as we think, given we don't yet have that much feedback?
I've done a halfway house update to the wiki, just to highlight the issue, though I fully agree with you that we could probably do with more reports here before putting out stronger health warnings.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond

For many years people very comfortably managed B2Bs including heading through immigration and security, and it does seem the one report of it being too close for comfort arose because the transfer route was used rather than taking the more conventional (for FT) Fast Track security from landside. Even then, the poster made it.

We have some more stringent passport checks, we have perhaps slightly more walking, but I'd say we don't yet definitively have something that says this is very likely to take 15 minutes longer every time.

We have a number of members heading through the process in the next few weeks, at different times, so hopefully that will allow us to build up a much fuller picture.
I think from the comments posted already doing a b2b from the 200 gates is now risky. Doing one at the 300 gates, which is the only place previously where a landside route was needed, was a completely different kettle of fish mainly because the immigration queue around the 200 gates are much more variable and busy. That add very significantly to the risk.

Additionally a few with non-EEA passports have already indicated a b2b from the 200 gates is not at all advisable due to immigration queues.

I would agree with those urging caution, and with downgrading DUB as a b2b place. I am not sure I would be comfortable booking it as a b2b anymore.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: QF BAEC [Gold]
So in lieu of a b2b, I am opting for the night before, either LHR-DUB or LCY-DUB.

I plan to book the penultimate flight of the evening, rather than the last one, just in case .. since my ex DUB is first thing the following morning.

What should I have as PlanB ?
Old Jun 23, 2017, 9:48 am
Suspended

LGW-DUB has Aer Lingus and Ryanair flights at the south terminal, good options for plan B, C or D

LCY-DUB has CityJet and BA at the same terminal, will you have checked luggage?

LHR has flights from separate terminals which may need extra time for plan B

Last edited by FlyerTalker39574; Jun 23, 2017 at 10:11 am
Old Jun 23, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by PWOZUK
So in lieu of a b2b, I am opting for the night before, either LHR-DUB or LCY-DUB.

I plan to book the penultimate flight of the evening, rather than the last one, just in case .. since my ex DUB is first thing the following morning.

What should I have as PlanB ?
Hi PWOZUK

If you are returning to LHR, then take the last DUB flight the night before as this aircraft overnights at DUB and operates the first inbound to LHR the next morning (your first ex-EU), so this flight is generally the last to get cancelled, and if it does, you can ask BA to start your ex-EU from London. The second last flight from either LCY or LHR returns to London that evening and thus if a cancellation occurs, there is no guarantee you'll get to Dublin that night and BA maybe less sympathic if you are not in Dublin for the start of your ex-EU if that aircraft is in position.

If you go via LCY, there is a small risk with either flight from London to Dublin.

Pilot37
Old Jun 23, 2017, 10:11 am
Community Director

Originally Posted by KARFA
I think from the comments posted already doing a b2b from the 200 gates is now risky. Doing one at the 300 gates, which is the only place previously where a landside route was needed, was a completely different kettle of fish mainly because the immigration queue around the 200 gates are much more variable and busy. That add very significantly to the risk.

Additionally a few with non-EEA passports have already indicated a b2b from the 200 gates is not at all advisable due to immigration queues.

I would agree with those urging caution, and with downgrading DUB as a b2b place. I am not sure I would be comfortable booking it as a b2b anymore.
I think it's fair to say your record time may be safe for a while .

I'm also glad I'm overnighting ahead of my outbound flight next month, but I do have a B2B on the return, albeit not at a busy time for immigration. Whilst I don't have that many options if it goes pear shaped, I'm still relatively relaxed.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 11:22 am

I think it's fair to say your record time may be safe for a while .

I'm also glad I'm overnighting ahead of my outbound flight next month, but I do have a B2B on the return, albeit not at a busy time for immigration. Whilst I don't have that many options if it goes pear shaped, I'm still relatively relaxed.
Ha, yes any landside route record times are now secure
Old Jun 28, 2017, 7:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Diamond
I am flying ex-DUB in March 2017. I'm on the BA845 Leaving at 1020.

Is it too risky to arrive on the BA830 arriving at 0935 - which is the same aircraft? Gives 45 mins to complete B2B.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Vgravity

Is it too risky to arrive on the BA830 arriving at 0935 - which is the same aircraft? Gives 45 mins to complete B2B.
Far too risky. You now have to clear immigration, get back through security and back to the gate.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 7:51 am

As noted in the comments above and in the last few posts of the b2b thread, a b2b at DUB isn't what it used to be as the 200 gates are now segregated, and is worse then when the 300 gates were used. I am not sure planning to to a b2b at DUB is really recommended as much at DUB now.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 7:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Diamond
Thanks - looks like it's a night at the Radisson Blu!
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:13 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Certainly risky these days. If you are leaving aircraft by stairs it could easily be 10 minutes before you get to passport control, and there may be a queue there. Allowing 15 mins to get through there, exit baggage hall, go upstairs to departures and clear security (which is not guaranteed) you'd be pretty close to needing to run to the gate.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:14 am
Community Director

Originally Posted by MPH1980
Far too risky. You now have to clear immigration, get back through security and back to the gate.
Originally Posted by KARFA
As noted in the comments above and in the last few posts of the b2b thread, a b2b at DUB isn't what it used to be as the 200 gates are now segregated, and is worse then when the 300 gates were used. I am not sure planning to to a b2b at DUB is really recommended as much at DUB now.
Thanks - looks like it's a night at the Radisson Blu!
In the short term, until we get some more data, certainly starting a long haul it is considerably safer to B2B on the last/first flights of the day with an overnight than anything else - simply because there's so much to lose if it does go wrong. Now you don't quite have that, but probably the next best thing. I'm in the same position in a few weeks and - whilst everything was booked before the DUB situation changed - the cost difference of about £15 to stay in DUB compared to LHR looks like money well spent for peace of mind.

On the return turnaround it becomes much more a risk decision given the costs of putting any mishap right are possibly many thousands of pounds less!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.