Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Ex DUB logistics and positioning | clinic thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pilot37
This is a "clinic" thread, so a great way to find out how to go via Dublin Airport en route to somewhere else (probably!). It covers issues such as back to back flights, overnight stopovers, passport and security issues, and logistical issues. There have been some recent posts about the viability of back to back trips, for which more reports of recent experiences would be helpful. See post 1468 onwards for more information.

Other threads which may well be useful include:
BA Tier Point Runs 2017
Premium Fare deals (J and F)
Ex-Mainland Europe Travel Planning Guide
Back-to-back / Immediate Turnarounds at BA Destinations
Travel with BA from Cork, Shannon and Knock - a pictorial guide

These sorts of flight arrangements aren't for everyone. If you have a family and luggage to check in, the potential cost savings have to weighed against the additional hassle and risk. Generally speaking it is safest to go either back to back or overnight - the latter is easier with checked luggage. The underlying logic for this is in this post.
Print Wikipost

Ex DUB logistics and positioning | clinic thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2017, 10:03 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
Thanks for the report dca100.

Yes I had seen that report. I was looking to see if I could fit in a trip from LHR-DUB in the next few weeks to see myself but I was struggling to find something at a reasonable price when I am actually free.

Did you go to normal security or fast track? Fast track has a separate entrance to normal security. Basically as you walk the length of the terminal passing the check in desks on your right normal track is straight ahead but fast track is to the right at the other side of the check in desks. EDIT: or did you actually use flight connections rather than going out landside?

So I used fast track flight connections (which was fast). The queue for security at the top of the escalator was slow - with no discernible fast track. I should have gone land side and back through the F Wing. Schoolboy error.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Just to add having been through the new version of the 200 gates at DUB a few times in the past few weeks (not doing a B2B) I haven't seen any evidence of a way to double back to the gate area and as c-w-s hints at above suggests either a door was open in error or similar if there was a suggestion this remained possible (I couldn't quite see the reference up-thread).

dca100 it sounds like you went to the end of the baggage hall and used the Flight Connections channel; what most people would advise to do in this context is exit the baggage hall entirely and go landside, then re-enter airside via the "normal" fast track security entrance, which tends to be quick.

Still doesn't resolve the passport queue issue, for which there is no easy solution and does indeed mean those with a low risk tolerance probably are best off not attempting the B2B route on BA at DUB (in my opinion anyway).

Edited to add: From some poking around on the Fingal County Council planning portal I located the planning application and supporting materials, which includes the background/rationale document submitted to support the application, which may be of interest.
Pier 2 planning application

Last edited by daftboy; Jun 12, 2017 at 11:13 am Reason: Planning application
Old Jun 12, 2017, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Crikey, this new set up will do wonders for the airport hotels! I've only ever B2B'd looks like I'll have to review going forwards..
Old Jun 12, 2017, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by daftboy
Just to add having been through the new version of the 200 gates at DUB a few times in the past few weeks (not doing a B2B) I haven't seen any evidence of a way to double back to the gate area and as c-w-s hints at above suggests either a door was open in error or similar if there was a suggestion this remained possible (I couldn't quite see the reference up-thread).

dca100 it sounds like you went to the end of the baggage hall and used the Flight Connections channel; what most people would advise to do in this context is exit the baggage hall entirely and go landside, then re-enter airside via the "normal" fast track security entrance, which tends to be quick.

Still doesn't resolve the passport queue issue, for which there is no easy solution and does indeed mean those with a low risk tolerance probably are best off not attempting the B2B route on BA at DUB (in my opinion anyway).

Edited to add: From some poking around on the Fingal County Council planning portal I located the planning application and supporting materials, which includes the background/rationale document submitted to support the application, which may be of interest.
Pier 2 planning application
Good find on the planning application - all the rationale in there makes it clear they intend to fully segregate the passengers, so I doubt there is a formal route to get back to departures without going through connections or landside and back again.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: BAEC GOLD
Appreciate any advice. If I'm reading these latest posts then there's a feeling B2B isn't as 'risk free' as it used to be. I'm doing my first exDublin trip to USA next month - going to Dublin day before but doing a B2B on return - have hour between flights. Should I consider booking an additional flight for 3 hours later, say a cheap AVIOS reward flight - or am I 'over reacting'?

Thanks
Old Jun 12, 2017, 1:56 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ameripaige
Appreciate any advice. If I'm reading these latest posts then there's a feeling B2B isn't as 'risk free' as it used to be. I'm doing my first exDublin trip to USA next month - going to Dublin day before but doing a B2B on return - have hour between flights. Should I consider booking an additional flight for 3 hours later, say a cheap AVIOS reward flight - or am I 'over reacting'?
Personally I wouldn't bother, and just be in a position to be flexible on the day. So ensure your FR App is up to date, for example, and you have checked the hotels beforehand. There is a lot of competition on Ireland - UK services and if (e.g.) the late Birmingham is running, and it's cheap, well the train service to Euston will get you out of problems. Yes there is an implied cost of this, but one key point about DCA's experience was that it appears to have been in the morning when DUB is at its busiest. Evenings are much easier. And he didn't miss his flight!

Having said that: B2B is not for everyone. If you are the sort that hates risk and things going wrong then that's why the good Lord invented direct flights.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Personally I wouldn't bother, and just be in a position to be flexible on the day. So ensure your FR App is up to date, for example, and you have checked the hotels beforehand. There is a lot of competition on Ireland - UK services and if (e.g.) the late Birmingham is running, and it's cheap, well the train service to Euston will get you out of problems. Yes there is an implied cost of this, but one key point about DCA's experience was that it appears to have been in the morning when DUB is at its busiest. Evenings are much easier. And he didn't miss his flight!

Having said that: B2B is not for everyone. If you are the sort that hates risk and things going wrong then that's why the good Lord invented direct flights.
Thank you for your comments C-W-S.
can I ask one more thing. my exDub flight arrives at LHR @9.10. My next flight is to BOS @11.15. When I arrive at T5 am I better off exiting to landside and then going through first wing OR do I follow the transfer signs. Apologies if this is in the stickies but can't see anything.

Thank you
Old Jun 12, 2017, 3:21 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ameripaige
Thank you for your comments C-W-S.
can I ask one more thing. my exDub flight arrives at LHR @9.10. My next flight is to BOS @11.15. When I arrive at T5 am I better off exiting to landside and then going through first wing OR do I follow the transfer signs. Apologies if this is in the stickies but can't see anything.

Thank you
Coming from DUB there really is no point going via connections. You are better off heading landside and to the first wing. Some more details in the T5 connection guide linked to in my signature.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 3:30 pm

Coming from DUB there really is no point going via connections. You are better off heading landside and to the first wing. Some more details in the T5 connection guide linked to in my signature.
Thank you Karfa & thanks for pointing out the guide to connecting at T5, I'll take a look.
Cheers
Old Jun 13, 2017, 3:11 am

Ok, I have now booked for 6 August to go and have a look myself at the new arrangement in DUB.

As others have mentioned already, based on the fact they have spent all this money doing work to segregate passengers I would be surprised if they have left a route to simply double back in to the 200 gate area.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Well done KARFA taking one for the team
Old Jun 13, 2017, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I am doing LBA-LHR-DUB-LBA as a day trip - this is what I do on my birthday now
Old Jun 13, 2017, 3:22 am

Ok, I have now booked for 6 August to go and have a look myself at the new arrangement in DUB.

As others have mentioned already, based on the fact they have spent all this money doing work to segregate passengers I would be surprised if they have left a route to simply double back in to the 200 gate area.
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Well - I'm heading through DUB July 1st. Didn't book a B2B thank heavens - but I'm going to try to speed through to see if they'll move me to the earlier flight (low chance - but I can ask).

So I'll try and grab some pictures on my way through.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by MPH1980
Well - I'm heading through DUB July 1st. Didn't book a B2B thank heavens - but I'm going to try to speed through to see if they'll move me to the earlier flight (low chance - but I can ask).

So I'll try and grab some pictures on my way through.
Thanks. Yes, similarly no b2b planned for me at DUB on any future trips. Was looking at a possible DUB-LAS trip next March in the current sale but I wouldn't plan to do that as a b2b if I do book.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 4:38 am

There was definitively no way to pass from 200 gate arrivals to departures without clearing immigration (& going back through security) as of this morning.

Both sets of doors that adjoin the new arrivals corridor were firmly closed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.