Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Ex DUB logistics and positioning | clinic thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pilot37
This is a "clinic" thread, so a great way to find out how to go via Dublin Airport en route to somewhere else (probably!). It covers issues such as back to back flights, overnight stopovers, passport and security issues, and logistical issues. There have been some recent posts about the viability of back to back trips, for which more reports of recent experiences would be helpful. See post 1468 onwards for more information.

Other threads which may well be useful include:
BA Tier Point Runs 2017
Premium Fare deals (J and F)
Ex-Mainland Europe Travel Planning Guide
Back-to-back / Immediate Turnarounds at BA Destinations
Travel with BA from Cork, Shannon and Knock - a pictorial guide

These sorts of flight arrangements aren't for everyone. If you have a family and luggage to check in, the potential cost savings have to weighed against the additional hassle and risk. Generally speaking it is safest to go either back to back or overnight - the latter is easier with checked luggage. The underlying logic for this is in this post.
Print Wikipost

Ex DUB logistics and positioning | clinic thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by BobbySteel
sorry can you clarify if someone LHR-DUB-LHR will likely have to reclear security in Dublin? I'm confused by your labelling of arriving pax and departing pax.
It remains a possibility for the next month or two, after which it will become a certainty.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
It remains a possibility for the next month or two, after which it will become a certainty.
thanks!
Old Mar 24, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
As of today, it's still possible to do a back-to-back... the passenger on my late morning flight in 1A was definitely doing as much, and perhaps in 1C as well!

I noticed an interesting trend in my past two arrivals into DUB (both into gate 204). The first one (Sunday ~ 18:00 arrival), the EU immigration arrivals was filled with passengers, and I was the only passenger in non-EU. Today around 13:30 was the same, with the major change being that there are now a number of automated e-gates (maybe 8-12 in quantity) for EU/UK passengers that appear to be opening soon. So clearing immigration should improve once the e-gates are opened.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 4:22 am

I'll fly out of DUB to LHR / ORD at 2 pm (BA)

I'll arrive the same morning at DUB at 10.40 am from CDG on AF.
What do you think ?

There is an earlier flight which arrive at DUB 8.10 am but I'll prefer to avoid it if possible (I must attend a late dinner the night before and would like to avoid a 2 / 3 hours night)

FWIW I'll probably use their platinum service so there is no immigration line but I do have bags
Old Mar 31, 2017, 4:33 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by CGRA
I'll fly out of DUB to LHR / ORD at 2 pm (BA)

I'll arrive the same morning at DUB at 10.40 am from CDG on AF.
What do you think ?

There is an earlier flight which arrive at DUB 8.10 am but I'll prefer to avoid it if possible (I must attend a late dinner the night before and would like to avoid a 2 / 3 hours night)

FWIW I'll probably use their platinum service so there is no immigration line but I do have bags
3 hrs 20 is more than enough time, even with a minor delay of a n hour or two. A major delay or cancellation may stoof you, so I would ensure that I have details of alternatives. You do have a AF flight after yours that arrives into DUB at 1335, this would be very close for comfort. If you know of the delay at hte time of arrival at the airport, you could get the EI flight that arrives 1105. You could also look at flights into London and have BA on speedial and they may allow you to start your journey from there is there was a cause outside of your control. Ultimately, if you wish to derisk it greater, you may have to take the earlier flight which you may feel is necessary than avoid having to fork out for a new flight to ORD, but nobody can really make that decision for you.

I tend to avoid Ex-non UK trips that require pre-positioning on the same day, even on a B2B, and would rather pre-position the day before or a few days before and enjoy the place beforehand, but that is a personal choice.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 5:12 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Did two back-to-backs quite recently, one on Sat 25/03 and one on Wed 29/03.
On both occasions we arrived at Gate 204, I got out of the plane, walked on the tarmac, went upstairs, exit the gate and joined the (priority) boarding queue straight away.

Must admit I got a couple of confused looks
Old Mar 31, 2017, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by navylad
3 hrs 20 is more than enough time, even with a minor delay of a n hour or two. A major delay or cancellation may stoof you, so I would ensure that I have details of alternatives. You do have a AF flight after yours that arrives into DUB at 1335, this would be very close for comfort. If you know of the delay at hte time of arrival at the airport, you could get the EI flight that arrives 1105. You could also look at flights into London and have BA on speedial and they may allow you to start your journey from there is there was a cause outside of your control. Ultimately, if you wish to derisk it greater, you may have to take the earlier flight which you may feel is necessary than avoid having to fork out for a new flight to ORD, but nobody can really make that decision for you.

I tend to avoid Ex-non UK trips that require pre-positioning on the same day, even on a B2B, and would rather pre-position the day before or a few days before and enjoy the place beforehand, but that is a personal choice.
Thank you so much navylad for these informations, that's much appreciated.
I'll flip a coin )

Maybe I should be a refundable EI ticket to be on the safe side (and cancel it after I arrive in Dublin on AF ?)

Yes if BA want to book me on an earlier flight to LHR (if my 2 pm flight is cancelled) I should be able to start my journey in LHR (they agree on that few months ago) . Maybe it's different this time as this is a AA ticket on AA TATL metal
Old Apr 3, 2017, 3:16 am

Just looking to replicate our trip to SYD of a few months ago. The DUB - SYD - DUB price is about the same (or slightly higher depending on exchange rate) as the LHR - SYD - LHR trip.

Have BA closed the advantages of this routing now, or am I missing something?

David
Old Apr 3, 2017, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
For a long time a year / 18 months ago DUB-SYD in WT+ was £995

Now constantly £2,000 which can't be down to the ex rates
Old Apr 5, 2017, 12:51 am

Checking in bags half way through trip

I had a bit of a nightmare this morning on an attempted Dublin B2B. I had booked DUB - LHR - SFO and bought an avios ticket to do LHR-DUB as a B2B. When I arrived at Heathrow and attempted to check bags for just the LHR-SFO leg, the system wouldn't let the agent check them. They tried all sorts of things, saying they couldn't understand why it wasn't working. It eventually took so long that I missed the outbound LHR-DUB!!

Thankfully the checkin agents were extremely helpful, but the only way they could get the bags checked in was to cancel the DUB-LHR leg (for free thank goodness). So I now just have a LHR-SFO trip. Could have ended up much much worse however!

The agents had to speak to ticketing to get that done and were apparently told that DUB-LHR-XXX is a restricted route that people book because it's much cheaper (shock horror), and so that's why it was blocked from checking bags in halfway. I was just counting my lucky stars that they didn't just cancel my whole ticket so didn't want to enquire any further. I don't know whether any of the regulars have more info on this? Perhaps it's been reported before, but does sound like BA cracking down on the ease of ex-EU.

Any info on whether this is now common or whether I was victim of a glitch in the system (perhaps due to checking in online?) would be appreciated! It certainly makes me much more cautious of doing these trips in the future.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow this would've caused me a lot of anxiety! To be fair, I've never tried this, I usually leave luggage downstairs at T5 and pay the small holding fee then collect after the B2B
Old Apr 5, 2017, 2:31 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Wow this would've caused me a lot of anxiety! To be fair, I've never tried this, I usually leave luggage downstairs at T5 and pay the small holding fee then collect after the B2B
Yes, that was my thought which was when it became apparent it was taking longer than anticipated, and the OP was getting close to conformance, the best option would have been to go with plan B and take it down to left luggage for retrieval and check in on return from DUB. If what is reported is true it seems plan B will have to be the default.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 3:26 am

Programs: BA GGL
On another data point: I checked in (with OLCI as well) last week for an INV-LHR-EWR (and onwards) itinerary in paid First. Was able to check in the bags no issues for the LHR-EWR before the INV-LHR was flown.

Have another one from Amsterdam down to Johannesburg in a fortnight so that should be interesting if they're blocking known cheap origins.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by benjones250
I had a bit of a nightmare this morning on an attempted Dublin B2B. I had booked DUB - LHR - SFO and bought an avios ticket to do LHR-DUB as a B2B. When I arrived at Heathrow and attempted to check bags for just the LHR-SFO leg, the system wouldn't let the agent check them. They tried all sorts of things, saying they couldn't understand why it wasn't working. It eventually took so long that I missed the outbound LHR-DUB!!

Thankfully the checkin agents were extremely helpful, but the only way they could get the bags checked in was to cancel the DUB-LHR leg (for free thank goodness). So I now just have a LHR-SFO trip. Could have ended up much much worse however!

The agents had to speak to ticketing to get that done and were apparently told that DUB-LHR-XXX is a restricted route that people book because it's much cheaper (shock horror), and so that's why it was blocked from checking bags in halfway. I was just counting my lucky stars that they didn't just cancel my whole ticket so didn't want to enquire any further. I don't know whether any of the regulars have more info on this? Perhaps it's been reported before, but does sound like BA cracking down on the ease of ex-EU.

Any info on whether this is now common or whether I was victim of a glitch in the system (perhaps due to checking in online?) would be appreciated! It certainly makes me much more cautious of doing these trips in the future.
Originally Posted by Beaulieu
On another data point: I checked in (with OLCI as well) last week for an INV-LHR-EWR (and onwards) itinerary in paid First. Was able to check in the bags no issues for the LHR-EWR before the INV-LHR was flown.

Have another one from Amsterdam down to Johannesburg in a fortnight so that should be interesting if they're blocking known cheap origins.
My experience matches Beaulieu's, on a DUB-LHR-XXX-XXX-XXX we were able to check in for LHR onwards after having already OLCI.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 10:53 am

In Dublin right now, and could/should have done B2B. Landed, walked up a couple of flights of stairs and into the departing passengers at the gate. Instead I read of the impending changes a month ago, and changed my positioning flight to one with a few hours gap despite all the advice here, some of us just can't be told

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.