Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Ex DUB logistics and positioning | clinic thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pilot37
This is a "clinic" thread, so a great way to find out how to go via Dublin Airport en route to somewhere else (probably!). It covers issues such as back to back flights, overnight stopovers, passport and security issues, and logistical issues. There have been some recent posts about the viability of back to back trips, for which more reports of recent experiences would be helpful. See post 1468 onwards for more information.

Other threads which may well be useful include:
BA Tier Point Runs 2017
Premium Fare deals (J and F)
Ex-Mainland Europe Travel Planning Guide
Back-to-back / Immediate Turnarounds at BA Destinations
Travel with BA from Cork, Shannon and Knock - a pictorial guide

These sorts of flight arrangements aren't for everyone. If you have a family and luggage to check in, the potential cost savings have to weighed against the additional hassle and risk. Generally speaking it is safest to go either back to back or overnight - the latter is easier with checked luggage. The underlying logic for this is in this post.
Print Wikipost

Ex DUB logistics and positioning | clinic thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2016, 1:31 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, EY Plat, etc
DUB open again

Closed from 6:51 to 7:40 this morning according to Eurocontrol. Looks like you were unlucky to get this just after pushing back. I am on a B2B later today so lets hope it is not a recurring issue!

Last edited by Robespierre; Dec 26, 2016 at 1:40 am
Old Dec 26, 2016, 2:22 am

Worked out well for us. We managed to disembark at LHR and they are honour hour booking without the DUB-LHR leg. We now have a relaxing wait in T5B lounge until our NY flight. The girlfriend is relieved, she hates flying
Old Dec 26, 2016, 2:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Me & my hubbie are sat in GF at T5 LHR waiting for our final leg of our first ever HNL TP run - any way to check what gate BA834 / BA835 arrives into / leaves from for today (26/12)? Rather worn out having only spent 2 hours in HNL for a very quick TP run, so keen to be prepared as possible for our first DUB b2b!
Old Dec 26, 2016, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by puqui99
Me & my hubbie are sat in GF at T5 LHR waiting for our final leg of our first ever HNL TP run - any way to check what gate BA834 / BA835 arrives into / leaves from for today (26/12)? Rather worn out having only spent 2 hours in HNL for a very quick TP run, so keen to be prepared as possible for our first DUB b2b!
Did you get on alright in the end?
Old Dec 26, 2016, 12:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by flashware
Did you get on alright in the end?
We did - arrived at 201, walked up the stairs, hung around 20 minutes then walked back down the steps back onto the plane. It was a worry, as both outbound and inbound, this flight was delayed for various reasons (we missed our outbound connection to JFK and got bumped onto a later flight.) Doing LHR-DUB-LHR-JFK-PHX-HNL-PHX-JFK-LHR-DUB-LHR with only a brief overnight stop in JFK over the past 3 days was intense, and allowed us to directly compare BA & AA. AA are nowhere near as bad as I thought, better planes than BA (esp the 777-300ER in biz.) I will NEVER again go on the awful Club World ying yang "bed". It'll only be F on BA or AA for biz going forward!
Old Dec 26, 2016, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
puqui99 ... result! Now you too can be tainted by the "Honolulu Gold" sobriquet

I confess that at our ages a virtually non-stop round-trip is not an option, but this year we've managed the 30-hour run home to JER from HNL, and also from ANC.

And I'm pleased we agree on the BA/AA comparison. We 'discovered' AA 2 years ago, on our first HNL holiday, and it's now our TATL carrier of choice [in J].
Old Dec 27, 2016, 2:19 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Passing through DUB this morning, the building works around the 200 gates which have been referenced in several posts above are advancing well with what I would expect (not confirmed officially) to be an end of January / beginning of February completion.
Once completed, it appears arriving and departing pax will be segregated around the 200 gates which will make straight B2B's more difficult from these gates as you will have to clear immigration and security.
If any ex-DUB sale fares do appear in January, the above should be something that is factored into the equation and once the new arrival / departure process is initiated - any first hand accounts will naturally be very welcome on here.

Pilot37
Old Dec 27, 2016, 2:53 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
Originally Posted by Pilot37
Passing through DUB this morning, the building works around the 200 gates which have been referenced in several posts above are advancing well with what I would expect (not confirmed officially) to be an end of January / beginning of February completion.
Once completed, it appears arriving and departing pax will be segregated around the 200 gates which will make straight B2B's more difficult from these gates as you will have to clear immigration and security.
If any ex-DUB sale fares do appear in January, the above should be something that is factored into the equation and once the new arrival / departure process is initiated - any first hand accounts will naturally be very welcome on here.

Pilot37
Also bear in mind that the 200s pier has a different and much longer arrivals (and departures) route compared to the 300s making a b2b sprint more frought.

The 200s feed into the same immigration as the long pier used by FR, so can be busy. The 300s use a self contained immigration hall used only by the gates at that pier (not many).

All in all makes DUB less of a safe bet for b2b....
Old Dec 27, 2016, 3:05 am

Will be watching with baited breath, as doing one late March
Old Dec 27, 2016, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Tomorrow is my first longhaul from LHR without an EU start in a long time. Reading this and thinking back over my last few OSL/DUBs it all seems so simple! Looking forward to a sleep in and leisurely arrival to Heathrow!
Old Dec 27, 2016, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by Pilot37
Yes that is correct and is the reason for the works being carried out.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 5:02 am

All

Doing my first ex-DUB trip to NY at the end of January, departing DUB on BA835 at 12.50 (connecting onto BA189, just a 1 hour connection at T5).

(Unfortunately) I'm planning on doing some skiing in New York state, so will need to take checked luggage. Appreciate this may have been answered a number of times in the 95 pages of this thread, but can I confirm that having checked luggage rules me out of being able to back-to-back at DUB?

In which case, I face the gamble of getting a flight Saturday morning, or the slight expense of going Friday night?
Old Dec 29, 2016, 5:12 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Forget luggage on b2b.

Overnight is your only real option here, as I don't think you will be able to check the luggage in for the second flight from lhr before you have taken the first from Dublin. If I am wrong someone will correct me.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 5:20 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
Forget luggage on b2b.

Overnight is your only real option here, as I don't think you will be able to check the luggage in for the second flight from lhr before you have taken the first from Dublin. If I am wrong someone will correct me.
It is a moving target in relation to checking luggage at LHR for the transatlantic portion of an ex-EU before you have flown the first sector. You may get lucky, but if the answer is no with only a 1hr connection at LHR after you arrive from Dublin (if everything is on time), you will not be able to pick up luggage from the left luggage store and check it in. You booked an ex-EU for the saves, so to avoid stress and a potentially very expensive lesson (no bags or a missed flight) the only real option here is an overnight stay in DUB or a longer turn around in Dublin (several hours) to hopefully avoid any issues.

Pilot37
Old Dec 29, 2016, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by GentleGiant
Forget luggage on b2b.

Yes that is the other option I had thought about. If I was able to check the bag at LHR, that would be very helpful.

Either: i) by checking it for the LHR-EWR portion only; or ii) checking it for LHR-DUB and having that ticket combined with the DUB-LHR-EWR ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.