Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Ex DUB logistics and positioning | clinic thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pilot37
This is a "clinic" thread, so a great way to find out how to go via Dublin Airport en route to somewhere else (probably!). It covers issues such as back to back flights, overnight stopovers, passport and security issues, and logistical issues. There have been some recent posts about the viability of back to back trips, for which more reports of recent experiences would be helpful. See post 1468 onwards for more information.

Other threads which may well be useful include:
BA Tier Point Runs 2017
Premium Fare deals (J and F)
Ex-Mainland Europe Travel Planning Guide
Back-to-back / Immediate Turnarounds at BA Destinations
Travel with BA from Cork, Shannon and Knock - a pictorial guide

These sorts of flight arrangements aren't for everyone. If you have a family and luggage to check in, the potential cost savings have to weighed against the additional hassle and risk. Generally speaking it is safest to go either back to back or overnight - the latter is easier with checked luggage. The underlying logic for this is in this post.
Print Wikipost

Ex DUB logistics and positioning | clinic thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2017, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
content deleted, replaced by #1596

Last edited by Roger; Jun 14, 2017 at 1:58 am
Old Jun 13, 2017, 3:09 pm
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
There was definitively no way to pass from 200 gate arrivals to departures without clearing immigration (& going back through security) as of this morning.

Both sets of doors that adjoin the new arrivals corridor were firmly closed.
I arrived in Dublin 200 gates this morning. I looked closely for any potential shortcuts back to the gate; there were none. There are two sets of grey double doors, firmly shut and with an immigration officer standing close by. The days of roll off-roll back on seem to be over.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
So is LCY B2B an option?
Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:11 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by KARFA
Ok, I have now booked for 6 August to go and have a look myself at the new arrangement in DUB.

As others have mentioned already, based on the fact they have spent all this money doing work to segregate passengers I would be surprised if they have left a route to simply double back in to the 200 gate area.
I'll be passing through DUB a few times in July as well, happy to take some photos or whatever.

Do you also have a backup FR ticket booked just in case August 6th turns into a birthday Do?
Old Jun 14, 2017, 12:20 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dylanks
I'll be passing through DUB a few times in July as well, happy to take some photos or whatever.

Do you also have a backup FR ticket booked just in case August 6th turns into a birthday Do?
Haha, well I am fairly confident of making my flights that day - just in case there is a late flight from Dub-LBA which I could get if needed
Old Jun 14, 2017, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Edited earlier post (now deleted) to make clear that ET = Ethiopian Airlines (business class).

Originally Posted by Roger
As a long-time user of ex-EUs and B2Bs, I thought I would be comfortable planning, but I'm not.

I have an Ethiopian Airlines (business class) departure from DUB at 19:30 early next year, arriving back at DUB at 05:05 a couple of weeks later.

I had originally thought of going to DUB a day ahead and returning a day later, staying at hotels overnight, but perhaps I don't need to. Any thoughts as to the wisdom of daring to book same-day positioning flights?

Many thanks.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
So is LCY B2B an option?
not sure what you mean?

All passengers across all flights and terminals now need to clear immigration and re-clear departure security.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
In case it's useful for anyone, DUB terminal 1 now apparently has a left luggage facility though I don't see it listed yet on the excess baggage website: https://www.dublinairport.com/latest...dublin-airport
Old Jun 16, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
So is LCY B2B an option?
Normally the LCY flights have parked at the 300 gates which have always required immigration and security reclearance, but due to this pier being quieter, the ability to complete the gate to gate loop was around 10mins without too much rushing. If your LCY flight parks at a 300 stand, you should be fine, but they also use the 200 gates and that has now become a lottery with potentially large queues at immigration.

Pilot37
Old Jun 16, 2017, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by dylanks
In case it's useful for anyone, DUB terminal 1 now apparently has a left luggage facility though I don't see it listed yet on the excess baggage website: https://www.dublinairport.com/latest...dublin-airport
Its always had one, the recent change is that's its relocated from the car park atrium to inside the terminal (opposite car hire desks).

Originally Posted by Pilot37
Normally the LCY flights have parked at the 300 gates which have always required immigration and security reclearance, but due to this pier being quieter, the ability to complete the gate to gate loop was around 10mins without too much rushing. If your LCY flight parks at a 300 stand, you should be fine, but they also use the 200 gates and that has now become a lottery with potentially large queues at immigration.

Pilot37
There is a pretty even split of LCY arrivals between 200 and 300 gates.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 7:32 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by squeeler
I arrived in Dublin 200 gates this morning. I looked closely for any potential shortcuts back to the gate; there were none. There are two sets of grey double doors, firmly shut and with an immigration officer standing close by. The days of roll off-roll back on seem to be over.
I arrived in DUB this morning (for 2 days rather than B2B) and my experience mirrors you - there was a sign to gates 217 - 220 (I think) before one turns right into Passport hall but don't think that that is a shortcut back to the BA gates.

so yes, B2B on 200s now feels tricky.

So is LCY B2B an option?
B2B at 300 gates has always been ok- the distances are much shorter than they are on the 200s and passport at 300s is much quieter.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: BA silver
We are doing a ex-eu J to Miami next April on AA via PHL with baggage, currently an 11am departure, and trying to decide if it's OK or too risky to catch the BA832 that morning, landing in DUB at 810.
While flightstats shows only 4 out of the last 62 BA832s as landing late, and it is a first wave flight from Heathrow, I'm aware of the risks of minor schedule changes with both AA & BA shrinking this margin, the immigration queue and the walk from T1 to T2. I have Global Entry, but my wife does not yet (although hoping she gets this on a US trip in Spetember).

Because of the schedue change risk, and immigration queues, I'm leaning towards flying out the night before, but interested in anyone's thoughts on the risk level of flying out on the morning. Unfortunately HBO is not an option.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by paul71
We are doing a ex-eu J to Miami next April on AA via PHL with baggage, currently an 11am departure, and trying to decide if it's OK or too risky to catch the BA832 that morning, landing in DUB at 810.
While flightstats shows only 4 out of the last 62 BA832s as landing late, and it is a first wave flight from Heathrow, I'm aware of the risks of minor schedule changes with both AA & BA shrinking this margin, the immigration queue and the walk from T1 to T2. I have Global Entry, but my wife does not yet (although hoping she gets this on a US trip in Spetember).

Because of the schedue change risk, and immigration queues, I'm leaning towards flying out the night before, but interested in anyone's thoughts on the risk level of flying out on the morning. Unfortunately HBO is not an option.
If you want to play it safe they have a great VIP airport service at Dublin with car tarmac transfer, private terminal, private security and they'll pick up and recheck your bags.
about EURO 170 for arrIval or departure (they charge double for transfer ie EURO 340)
Old Jun 23, 2017, 5:47 am
Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
Would it be worth noting the problems with the new 200 gate configuration in the wiki to let people know it's not as easy as it once was (even compared to the 300 gates).
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by Ziz
Would it be worth noting the problems with the new 200 gate configuration in the wiki to let people know it's not as easy as it once was (even compared to the 300 gates).
Please do edit!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.