Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2016

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2016, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeem
...but I don't want to fall into a trap that I'm sure is out there! I think this will be a very simple answer for you experts and I am grateful for your wisdom.

I am a Premier 1K (top tier) with United, but I will be flying next week on BA (4 segments) and CX (2 segments) in business class with several long haul flights that will give me enough tier points to earn Silver status with BA; I am not currently a member of Executive Club.

If my goal is to obtain Silver status on BA for the longest amount of time, it seems to me I should enrol in BAEC today so that my Membership Year is April 2016 to April 2017. Then when I reach silver (approx. May 15, 2016), I will keep Silver status through the end of this membership year (through April 2017) and also keep it for the entire next membership year (so I would be Silver through April 2018.

1) Is this correct, that I would keep Silver status through April 2018? (Let's assume for this question that I don't fly any additional oneworld flights. I most likely will, of course, but let's assume I don't for this question.)
Yes - it should play out that way. And you'd have bronze status until April 2019. It's possible it might work out more favourably for you. In theory the date of your first flight sets the membership expiry not the date of joining.

2) Are there any advantages as to the question of where I register my address with BAEC? I have addresses in the UK and other EU countries, as well as Asia and America. (I only ask because the US airlines have gone crazy with massive favouritism for non-US addresses; I'm not sure if BA has done the same.)
The key question here is whether you intend to get a BA branded credit card - they have to come from the country where your account is registered. There's no longer any differential for non-UK residents.

3) (bonus question/after-thought) It seems from poking around this forum that BA don't do status matches. I'm top tier with United with most of my travel from LHR. No status match to BA?

Thanks so much for your advice!
Yeah - status matches are rare. Generally they come via corporate contracts.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 12:58 am

SriLanka Airlines (UL) Flight operated by Mihin Lanka Aircraft

I am planning on booking a UL flight from CMB to BLR (UL173) that is listed as being 'operated by Mihin Lanka aircraft'.

As Mihin Lanka does not fly the CMB-BLR route I am assuming that this is a UL prime flight and the disclaimer is because of the potential difference in hard/soft product.

Does anyone have a definitive view on whether this flight will earn TPs and Avios?
Old Apr 18, 2016, 1:11 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by awarty
I am planning on booking a UL flight from CMB to BLR (UL173) that is listed as being 'operated by Mihin Lanka aircraft'.

As Mihin Lanka does not fly the CMB-BLR route I am assuming that this is a UL prime flight and the disclaimer is because of the potential difference in hard/soft product.

Does anyone have a definitive view on whether this flight will earn TPs and Avios?
Yes I think it will as it is a UL prime flight.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 6:04 am

Programs: A3*G, AB-G, Hilton Gold, Marroit Silver
new QR biz booking class

Hi, I have flown QR biz several times in the past thanks to their great promo fares and it helped me get BA Gold. I was just about to book another great deal and noticed fare class "R" for the biz legs which looked new to me. Is it new? will it credit BAEC as a biz fare?
any help appreciated
Old Apr 19, 2016, 6:31 am

Programs: A3*G, AB-G, Hilton Gold, Marroit Silver
Originally Posted by neilcorbett
Hi, I have flown QR biz several times in the past thanks to their great promo fares and it helped me get BA Gold. I was just about to book another great deal and noticed fare class "R" for the biz legs which looked new to me. Is it new? will it credit BAEC as a biz fare?
any help appreciated
found the answer. For those interested apparently it will start earning for flights booked after 1st May 2016.

which means the kick ... sale will be over... damn!
Old Apr 19, 2016, 8:36 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by neilcorbett
found the answer. For those interested apparently it will start earning for flights booked after 1st May 2016.

which means the kick ... sale will be over... damn!
Although the wording does state that, I don't think BAEC has any way of knowing when the flight was booked so think it will credit for flights flown after 1st May 2016.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 8:05 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Does anyone have any feelings about LAN A fares? I have never seen one before and it does not show on the BA Calculator. AAdvantage has it as a deep discounted economy fare earning 25%. Can we assume that it will earn the same on BA but they are a bit behind with an update?
Old Apr 24, 2016, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Does anyone have any feelings about LAN A fares? I have never seen one before and it does not show on the BA Calculator. AAdvantage has it as a deep discounted economy fare earning 25%. Can we assume that it will earn the same on BA but they are a bit behind with an update?
I would assume if it is not listed on ba.com as an eligible fare class for avios earning then it will not earn avios.
http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...ing-avios.html
Old Apr 24, 2016, 3:32 pm

BA have sent me this email:

For the Euro Traveller offer, Gatwick to Jersey looks the best budget bet at £70 return. The Ts & Cs state: "A Qualifying Flight for 4500 Avios is a return Shorthaul flight with both the outbound and inbound flights booked in the Euro Traveller cabin, in the same booking. "

However, they later state: "This promotion is valid from London Heathrow, London Gatwick and all other UK domestic airports but cannot be used for internal domestic flights."

But Gatwick to Jersey *is* Euro Traveller... so does it qualify or not? Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old Apr 24, 2016, 9:45 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goldencondor
BA have sent me this email:

For the Euro Traveller offer, Gatwick to Jersey looks the best budget bet at £70 return. The Ts & Cs state: "A Qualifying Flight for 4500 Avios is a return Shorthaul flight with both the outbound and inbound flights booked in the Euro Traveller cabin, in the same booking. "

However, they later state: "This promotion is valid from London Heathrow, London Gatwick and all other UK domestic airports but cannot be used for internal domestic flights."

But Gatwick to Jersey *is* Euro Traveller... so does it qualify or not? Any ideas?

Thanks!
It is not a domestic flight so should be fine.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 9:43 am

I'm currently Gold but my flying schedule for this year probably won't even see me collect enough TPs to hit Silver but as I understand it I'll soft land to Silver next year anyway

Most of my flights this year are shorthaul or domestic for which I'm currently using Avios to book flights as this is saving me from booking usually last minute expensive flights - I'm obviously not earning TPs or Avios for reward flights but do these count as qualifying flights? Do I need to earn 4 qualifying flights if my intention is to soft land to Silver?

If the answer to the 1st question is positive then the 2nd question is academic as I'll be taking more than 4 rewards flights and if the answer to the 2nd question is negative then I have nothing else to book in order to keep Silver for next year
Old Apr 25, 2016, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AyeCaramba
I'm currently Gold but my flying schedule for this year probably won't even see me collect enough TPs to hit Silver but as I understand it I'll soft land to Silver next year anyway

Most of my flights this year are shorthaul or domestic for which I'm currently using Avios to book flights as this is saving me from booking usually last minute expensive flights - I'm obviously not earning TPs or Avios for reward flights but do these count as qualifying flights? Do I need to earn 4 qualifying flights if my intention is to soft land to Silver?

If the answer to the 1st question is positive then the 2nd question is academic as I'll be taking more than 4 rewards flights and if the answer to the 2nd question is negative then I have nothing else to book in order to keep Silver for next year
1. No. From post 4 of the Guide:
02 What is an eligible flight?

Examples of criteria used to determine eligible flights:

BA operated + BA flight prefix
BA operated + other flight prefix
Other carrier operated + BA flight prefix
IB operated + IB flight prefix

Note, reward bookings and agency or industry discounted bookings are not eligible. BA/IB subsidiaries and franchise operated flights are included.
2. No.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 2:52 pm

Hello experts

Sorry if a silly question but wanted to check

Currently Bronze, TP collection year ends 9/7/16, card expires 30/8/16

1 CW return booked out 11/07/16 return 19/07/16 earning 320TP
1 CW return booked out 25/1/17 return 1/2/17 earning 280TP

1) as my card expires after flight 1 will I still get bronze boost avios?
2) should I expect to make Silver on 1/2/17 and retain benefits until 30/8/17 or 30/8/18? Or another way, when do I go back to bronze assuming no further flights?

Dont worry about seat selection, I already coughed up.

Many thanks in advance!
Old Apr 25, 2016, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by herbertgoon
Hello experts

Sorry if a silly question but wanted to check

Currently Bronze, TP collection year ends 9/7/16, card expires 30/8/16

1 CW return booked out 11/07/16 return 19/07/16 earning 320TP
1 CW return booked out 25/1/17 return 1/2/17 earning 280TP

1) as my card expires after flight 1 will I still get bronze boost avios?
2) should I expect to make Silver on 1/2/17 and retain benefits until 30/8/17 or 30/8/18? Or another way, when do I go back to bronze assuming no further flights?

Dont worry about seat selection, I already coughed up.

Many thanks in advance!
1. Yes, tier benefits continue until card expiry.
2. You will have earned 600 TPs during your new collection year 9JUL16 and will achieve silver after your flight in February. You will then have silver for the rest of that year (collection year ending 8JUL17, card expiry 30AUG17) and the following year (collection year ending 8JUL18, card expiry 30AUG18). If you do not fly during this time you will be bronze on 1SEP18 (due to soft landing and silver card expiry).
Old Apr 25, 2016, 3:43 pm

Super many thanks for the swift response.

Safe travels

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.