Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2016

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2016, 9:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Originally Posted by karcer
I must purchase two tickets for individuals travelling Romania to YYZ return. Is there any way I can get credit (Avios and tier points ) for this purchase and subsequent flights of these individuals.

Any help is appreciated.
Tier points not possible.
But avios - make them a BAEC account, and make your account a household account, and join them to it.
But note:
1. This will only work if their accounts are also registered by your address.
2. And household accounts can not book for other people outside the household account.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by karcer
I must purchase two tickets for individuals travelling Romania to YYZ return. Is there any way I can get credit (Avios and tier points ) for this purchase and subsequent flights of these individuals.
The Avios and Tier Points that are earned by flying can only be credited to the passenger's account, not the purchaser's.

If the purchaser and the passenger qualify to be in a Household Account (for which they must live at the same address), then the earned Avios can in effect be shared by them. But only the passenger will get any direct benefit from the TPs.

If the purchaser uses a credit card that earns Avios on amounts charged to the card, then the purchaser obviously gets to use those.
Originally Posted by benberg2013
2. And household accounts can not book for other people outside the household account.
This is not quite correct any more, with the introduction of the Family and Friends list of people for whom tickets can be booked even though they are not members of the HHA.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 9:54 am

Thanks for the very quick response. I was trying to maximize avios points obviously, my wife and I do so enjoy flying first so more avios points is good, we manage at least one flight across a year in first and that really eats up the point balance. Also having been a Gold previously the difference in treatment at the airport and on the flight is quit considerable.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 3:06 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Do Comair (BA South Africa) flights count toward the "4 minimum BA flights"?
Thanks!
Couldn't find the answer to my question in a quick search, but maybe I'm using the wrong keywords.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by kyushuman
Do Comair (BA South Africa) flights count toward the "4 minimum BA flights"?
Thanks!
Couldn't find the answer to my question in a quick search, but maybe I'm using the wrong keywords.
Yes. BA codes on Comair operated flights are eligible. Comair is a BA franchise.
From the Guide:
02 What is an eligible flight?

Examples of criteria used to determine eligible flights:

BA operated + BA flight prefix
BA operated + other flight prefix
Other carrier operated + BA flight prefix
IB operated + IB flight prefix

Note, reward bookings and agency or industry discounted bookings are not eligible. BA/IB subsidiaries and franchise operated flights are included.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25948897-post4.html
And from ba.com:
BA flights are:
•flights operated by British Airways, including franchises and BA CityFlyer
•codeshare flights on other carriers with a BA flight number
•flights operated by Iberia, including franchises, with an IB flight number

Reward flights and agency or industry discounted bookings do not qualify.
Our franchise partners are independent airlines that use British Airways branding and flight codes and match our high standards of customer service, quality and hospitality.

Comair Pty Ltd

Based in Johannesburg, South Africa, Comair serve a wide variety of destinations across southern Africa.
See also:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-africa-2.html
Old Feb 28, 2016, 7:22 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Thanks for that!
I should have mentioned that I did find the "eligible flights" listings, but I couldn't tell if Comair flights were full-on BA flights.
Great news. Thanks again.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 1:25 pm

Is there any difference between Avios purchased through the EC on ba.com and those purchased at avios.com? If not, why is there a 35k cap per year when one can buy up to 100k on avios.com?
What am I missing?
Old Mar 6, 2016, 4:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
I got BA Silver status because of a status match.

I now have 130 Tier points and 140 lifetime tier points.

My account reads:

Tier Point collection year ends 08 May 2016

Card expiry date 30 Jun 2017

Does this mean, that on 08 May my tier points will be reset to 0, and then I will still have another year, until 30 June 17, to collect 600 tier points to retain silver status?

Assuming what I wrote is correct, what if I requalify for silver before 08 May? Until when will I retain silver? 20 June 2018, or 2019?
Old Mar 6, 2016, 6:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
I got BA Silver status because of a status match.

I now have 130 Tier points and 140 lifetime tier points.

My account reads:

Tier Point collection year ends 08 May 2016

Card expiry date 30 Jun 2017

Does this mean, that on 08 May my tier points will be reset to 0, and then I will still have another year, until 30 June 17, to collect 600 tier points to retain silver status?
Yes. You're now silver. At the "collection year ends" date your tier points will reset, so you'll need to get the required flights and tier points to retain Silver, starting May 9th. Failing that, you'll drop to Bronze and after another year, to Blue.

Assuming what I wrote is correct, what if I requalify for silver before 08 May? Until when will I retain silver? 20 June 2018, or 2019?
You must requalify before 08 May 2017 to retain Silver. You'll have the two week grace period past that, but that's it.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 11:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gormless
Yes. You're now silver. At the "collection year ends" date your tier points will reset, so you'll need to get the required flights and tier points to retain Silver, starting May 9th. Failing that, you'll drop to Bronze and after another year, to Blue.

You must requalify before 08 May 2017 to retain Silver. You'll have the two week grace period past that, but that's it.
Will I drop to Bronze on MAY 9th 2016 if I fail to get neccessary Tier points? Does "card expiry June 2017" not mean that I will keep silver until then?
Old Mar 7, 2016, 2:00 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Will I drop to Bronze on MAY 9th 2016 if I fail to get neccessary Tier points? Does "card expiry June 2017" not mean that I will keep silver until then?
That's correct, you'll have status until your card expires.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 11:26 am

Quick questions. Friend of mine is flying from LHR to YVR this afternoon. She booked economy and has blue status, yet she's been upgraded to WT+.

1) Why has she been given a free upgrade if she's only blue (I though that only happened to higher statuses)?

2) Will she earn the TPs and Avios she paid for (economy) or will she get the WT+ awards?
Old Mar 7, 2016, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by goldencondor
1) Why has she been given a free upgrade if she's only blue (I though that only happened to higher statuses)?

2) Will she earn the TPs and Avios she paid for (economy) or will she get the WT+ awards?
1. Operational upgrades aren't limited to those with higher status, and those with higher status can't expect to be upgraded ahead of those with no status (or even non-members). In addition, there has been talk of BA limiting such upgrades to individuals who have already had a number of them recently.

Generally, BA only does such operational upgrades if the lower cabin is overbooked and people need to be moved up so that everyone who has booked can be accommodated. That's the usual headline reason for the upgrades to be happening at all. One possible underlying reason for picking some people rather than others is to give them a taster of the higher cabin, in the hope that some of the lucky ones may like it so much that they start paying for it on future trips.

2. If it's an operational upgrade, she will only get the Avios and TPs for the ticket she paid for.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by goldencondor
Quick questions. Friend of mine is flying from LHR to YVR this afternoon. She booked economy and has blue status, yet she's been upgraded to WT+.

1. Who knows? Some say that BA will sometimes upgrade a nonstatus flyer to give them a taste of the higher class in hopes they might choose to purchase that class in the future.
2. For operational upgrades (unless an error is made) you only earn according to the fare class you actually purchased.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
1. Operational upgrades aren't limited to those with higher status, and those with higher status can't expect to be upgraded ahead of those with no status (or even non-members). In addition, there has been talk of BA limiting such upgrades to individuals who have already had a number of them recently.

Generally, BA only does such operational upgrades if the lower cabin is overbooked and people need to be moved up so that everyone who has booked can be accommodated. That's the usual headline reason for the upgrades to be happening at all. One possible underlying reason for picking some people rather than others is to give them a taster of the higher cabin, in the hope that some of the lucky ones may like it so much that they start paying for it on future trips.

2. If it's an operational upgrade, she will only get the Avios and TPs for the ticket she paid for.
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
1. Who knows? Some say that BA will sometimes upgrade a nonstatus flyer to give them a taste of the higher class in hopes they might choose to purchase that class in the future.
2. For operational upgrades (unless an error is made) you only earn according to the fare class you actually purchased.
Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.