Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2016

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2016, 7:18 am

Programs: CX Gold, SPG Gold, Aeroplan, BAEC
Originally Posted by KARFA
Move?
unfortunately I'm not going to move to the UK just to register for avios.com. Can I use a friend's address? Are they going to mail anything physical?
Old Mar 31, 2016, 11:42 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Is it correct that BA doesn't actually publish earnings tables for Avios / Tier points anymore? I can only find the calculator on their website, and nothing that actually shows how/why certain Avios are calculated.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by sxc
Is it correct that BA doesn't actually publish earnings tables for Avios / Tier points anymore? I can only find the calculator on their website, and nothing that actually shows how/why certain Avios are calculated.
If you mean route-by-route, then I can't remember BA ever publishing such an Avios earning table. As far as I can remember, the base Avios awarded for any route has always been a matter of back calculation from whatever was actually earned.

The method by which you get from the base Avios to the amount actually earned for any individual flight is, however, on ba.com - even if you need to do a certain amount of work yourself to find it all and to calculate it yourself. Just about all of the information has, I think, now been collected on this page: http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...-avios/flights

I can't remember whether Tier Points information has ever been more explicit on ba.com. However, FTers have collated the relevant information which is available towards the end of this post: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25948899-post5.html - and it's also available in text format from the link in my signature.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 8:18 am

Programs: Former AA EXP, DL PM, BAEC Bronze, SPG GOLD, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
I am sure this is somewhere in this thread, but if you are a U.S based EC member booking AA flights with-in the U.S that are NOT marketed as BA do not qualify for elite status. You will still get the tier points and AVIOS.

Anyone know a workaround for this?

Also not sure which thread to post in.....
Old Apr 1, 2016, 8:23 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I don't understand, what are you trying to workaround to?

Eligible flights are those marketed or operated by BA (there are some IB flights but this would be irrelevant for you I think). You only need 4 a year. Whilst a lot of AA flights have a BA codeshare, these BA codeshares are only bookable as part of a booking with a connection from or to a BA TATL.

Also there are some fifth freedom BA flights in the carribean I think which would count as eligible flights, so NAS-GCM comes to mind.

Obviously regardless of the above you can credit your flights to BAEC or AA as you wish.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by token385
I am sure this is somewhere in this thread, but if you are a U.S based EC member booking AA flights with-in the U.S that are NOT marketed as BA do not qualify for elite status. You will still get the tier points and AVIOS.

Anyone know a workaround for this?

Also not sure which thread to post in.....
As noted by Karfa, there is no workaround to the 2 or 4 eligible flights requirement for BAEC elite status.
From ba.com:
BA flights are:
•flights operated by British Airways, including franchises and BA CityFlyer
•codeshare flights on other carriers with a BA flight number
•flights operated by Iberia, including franchises, with an IB flight number

Reward flights and agency or industry discounted bookings do not qualify.
From the Guide:
01 Moving between tiers

The promotion process is not as simple as it could be at first glance. First off, in addition to accruing the Tier Points required to qualify for promotion to the next tier or retain at the current tier, you also need to fly either two (for Bronze) or four (for Silver or Gold) qualifying flights during your membership year.

02 What is an eligible flight?

Examples of criteria used to determine eligible flights:

BA operated + BA flight prefix
BA operated + other flight prefix
Other carrier operated + BA flight prefix
IB operated + IB flight prefix

Note, reward bookings and agency or industry discounted bookings are not eligible. BA/IB subsidiaries and franchise operated flights are included.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 5:29 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Hi Guys,

Need a little advice. Was booked on an AA ticket flying AA135 to LAX. Flight was cancelled and was involuntary re routed on VS. What are the chances of getting the miles credited?

Thanks
Old Apr 7, 2016, 5:33 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Hi Guys,

Need a little advice. Was booked on an AA ticket flying AA135 to LAX. Flight was cancelled and was involuntary re routed on VS. What are the chances of getting the miles credited?

Thanks
Unlikely on an AA ticket I think. BA do have a policy of doing original routing credits to BAEC for BA tickets, but i don't think AA have a similar policy.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 5:34 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Thanks Karfa, have put in a claim to see what the response is.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
In these instances I've learned to fight with the airline to make sure I am re-routed on a mileage earning airline. You can refused to accept what they give you and ask for another route. Assuming your own personal agenda allows the timing. I did this recently with AA and after pecking on the keyboard for several minutes they found a better route for me.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 4:34 am

Could someone please confirm whether the following iscorrect when it comes to BAEC tier levels? Apologies for the multiplequestions, just trying to get it clear in my head.
1. If membership year ends May 8th 2016, current statusgold, but haven't earned 1500 TPs, soft landing to silver, gold benefits remainuntil June 30th 2016. If 1500 TPs earned after May 8th 2016 and before June30th 2016, when do the Gold benefits expire next - I assume the remainder ofthat year plus the following year (i.e. June 30th 2018). The fact that levelwould actually be silver but gold benefits have not expired should not affectthis?
2. If in the above situation, 5000TPs are earned before May8th 2017, GGL status should be valid until June 2018 also, there is no specialcase for GGL? Would CCR benefits be the same?
3. An additional 3000 TPs would be required to be earnedfrom May 8th 2017-May 8th 2018 to retain GGL benefits until Jun 30th 2019? NoCCR unless 5000 TPs earned.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by samcure
Could someone please confirm whether the following iscorrect when it comes to BAEC tier levels? Apologies for the multiplequestions, just trying to get it clear in my head.
1. If membership year ends May 8th 2016, current statusgold, but haven't earned 1500 TPs, soft landing to silver, gold benefits remainuntil June 30th 2016. If 1500 TPs earned after May 8th 2016 and before June30th 2016, when do the Gold benefits expire next - I assume the remainder ofthat year plus the following year (i.e. June 30th 2018). The fact that levelwould actually be silver but gold benefits have not expired should not affectthis?
If, somehow, you earn 1500 points, starting from 0, in the time between 8th and June 30th - then yes - it would last until June 30th 2018.

If you just tip over the 1500 (including those from the previous year) in the extension period you can request - it would last until June 30th 2017.

2. If in the above situation, 5000TPs are earned before May8th 2017, GGL status should be valid until June 2018 also, there is no specialcase for GGL? Would CCR benefits be the same?
Yes - the GGL status is valid for the whole of the remaining year and then the following year - so if you earn 5000 before May 2017 - the GGL and CCR would be valid until June 30th 2018.

3. An additional 3000 TPs would be required to be earnedfrom May 8th 2017-May 8th 2018 to retain GGL benefits until Jun 30th 2019? NoCCR unless 5000 TPs earned.
Exactly.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 11:48 am

is the executive club website not working for anybody else? i keep trying to login in and gives me an internal error
Old Apr 13, 2016, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by omaralt
is the executive club website not working for anybody else? i keep trying to login in and gives me an internal error
It's not just you. See:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...rror-read.html
Old Apr 15, 2016, 10:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA GGL/CCR, TK Elite Plus, Marriott Gold4Lyfe, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Tesco Blue
I'm so sorry for the very simple question

...but I don't want to fall into a trap that I'm sure is out there! I think this will be a very simple answer for you experts and I am grateful for your wisdom.

I am a Premier 1K (top tier) with United, but I will be flying next week on BA (4 segments) and CX (2 segments) in business class with several long haul flights that will give me enough tier points to earn Silver status with BA; I am not currently a member of Executive Club.

If my goal is to obtain Silver status on BA for the longest amount of time, it seems to me I should enrol in BAEC today so that my Membership Year is April 2016 to April 2017. Then when I reach silver (approx. May 15, 2016), I will keep Silver status through the end of this membership year (through April 2017) and also keep it for the entire next membership year (so I would be Silver through April 2018.

1) Is this correct, that I would keep Silver status through April 2018? (Let's assume for this question that I don't fly any additional oneworld flights. I most likely will, of course, but let's assume I don't for this question.)

2) Are there any advantages as to the question of where I register my address with BAEC? I have addresses in the UK and other EU countries, as well as Asia and America. (I only ask because the US airlines have gone crazy with massive favouritism for non-US addresses; I'm not sure if BA has done the same.)

3) (bonus question/after-thought) It seems from poking around this forum that BA don't do status matches. I'm top tier with United with most of my travel from LHR. No status match to BA?

Thanks so much for your advice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.