Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2016

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2016, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by c2h
Hey Guys I have a quick question regarding attaining Silver.

It is a requirement to fly 4 BA flight but is that 4 in total or 4 in addition to the 2 flown to achieve Bronze?

I currently have 725 TPs and 6 BA flights in total but I am still at Bronze. So now I am confused.
Four in total.
From ba.com:
How to get to each tier
•To reach Bronze is easy. All you need to do is fly BA at least twice and earn 300 Tier Points or take a total of 25 BA flights. Whichever you do first will get you to Bronze.
•For Silver, you need to fly BA at least four times and earn 600 Tier Points or take a total of 50 BA flights.
•To get to Gold, you will need to fly BA at least four times and earn 1,500 Tier Points.
BA flights are:
•flights operated by British Airways, including franchises and BA CityFlyer
•codeshare flights on other carriers with a BA flight number
•flights operated by Iberia, including franchises, with an IB flight number

Reward flights and agency or industry discounted bookings do not qualify.
Old May 11, 2016, 8:59 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Four in total.
From ba.com:
I think even if c2h has read the website then he/she could still be in doubt. That's me speaking as someone that finds everything ambiguous. As for the 725TPs and 4 segments puzzle. There are enough flights to qualify if they are 2+4 or just 4. So are they qualifying flights? Or did you just fly 3+ flights this week and your account did not update yet?
Old May 12, 2016, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Or did you just fly 3+ flights this week and your account did not update yet?
To expand slightly on this, it typically takes a day or two for BA flights to post to the account. At that point, the status indicator on the right ought to indicate that the new status has been attained. But after that happens, it typically takes a day or two more for the new status to actually show up on the website as one's current status. So overall it takes a few days.
Old May 15, 2016, 11:57 am

Programs: BA Silver
Probably a daft question, but I've had a bit of a shufti and can't find a clear answer anywhere...

If I am purchasing what would be a TP earning return flight, and part pay with Avios, do I still earn both TP and avios?
If I POUGed such a flight, would it earn TP at the higher rate or not at all?

TIA
Old May 15, 2016, 12:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Silver, Flying Blue Zilch, East Coast Rewards Lots&lots, Miles & More nada
Originally Posted by patersoj
If I am purchasing what would be a TP earning return flight, and part pay with Avios, do I still earn both TP and avios?
If I POUGed such a flight, would it earn TP at the higher rate or not at all?
Not a daft question at all. I can answer one part with certainty, the other with near-certainty. If you use Avios to reduce the price of what would otherwise be a normal purchased flight, your earning of Avios and TP for the flight are unchanged. I can confirm this from direct experience on a number of occasions.

I presume from this that the rules for POUG/AUP remain the same - you earn at the higher rate. However, I don't think I've used POUG on a flight where I have also used part-payment this year.

For the benefit of others finding this later, it's important to distinguish between using Avios to reduce the price of a flight purchased for cash, and using money to reduce the Avios cost of a reward flight. Both are possible, but the first earns TP & Avios and the second remains a reward flight earning nothing no matter how much cash you chuck at it.
Old May 15, 2016, 12:27 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by cziwkga
For the benefit of others finding this later, it's important to distinguish between using Avios to reduce the price of a flight purchased for cash, and using money to reduce the Avios cost of a reward flight. Both are possible, but the first earns TP & Avios and the second remains a reward flight earning nothing no matter how much cash you chuck at it.
I hadn't realised that there was a distinction.
In this case, I've gone through the usual purchasing process and at the point of purchase it says "Save money on your booking" so I think that this falls into the former category.
Thank you for taking the time to respond.
Old May 16, 2016, 3:27 am
c2h

Programs: QR-PLT, AM-Platino, TK-Elite
Thanks jerry a laska, JohnnyColombia & Globaliser for answering.

As suggested I called BA and was told that their system did not pick up all my BA flights. Only 2 were recorded thus why I was left being Bronze. They had to manually update it to reflect my new status. However the mobile app continues to say that I have only taken 2 BA flights albeit my Silver status appearing correctly.

Must have been a bug in their app.

Now I have to decide whether to gun for Gold or settle with Silver.
Old May 25, 2016, 2:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, L'Accor Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Platinum
Sorry to ask a tedious question but I'm not sure what the total tier points will be on the following J class booking:

OSL-LHR-HKG-SYD-SIN-LHR-OSL

The HKG-SYD is on CX J. The rest of the flights are on BA.

I thought that the total tier points would be 640 (40+140+140+140+140+40) but I saw something on a thread that said SYD to LHR via SIN got you a flat 240 (which would get me 600). Only reason I'm asking is that I'm trying to get to Gold for the first time so the difference actually does matter to me as I'd need to plan another trip.

Thanks in advance

1F
Old May 25, 2016, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by 1nfrequent
Sorry to ask a tedious question but I'm not sure what the total tier points will be on the following J class booking:

OSL-LHR-HKG-SYD-SIN-LHR-OSL

The HKG-SYD is on CX J. The rest of the flights are on BA.

I thought that the total tier points would be 640 (40+140+140+140+140+40) but I saw something on a thread that said SYD to LHR via SIN got you a flat 240 (which would get me 600). Only reason I'm asking is that I'm trying to get to Gold for the first time so the difference actually does matter to me as I'd need to plan another trip.

Thanks in advance

1F
To receive 140 + 140 for SYD-SIN-LHR you need to switch flights in SIN (from 16 to 12) or stopover for a day.

See some of the discussion here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ps-please.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23733673-post7.html
Old May 25, 2016, 3:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, L'Accor Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Platinum
Many thanks, Jerry.

I think I'm okay then as I am switching from 16 to 12. Damnit. No need to book a couple of cheeky CE weekends away now ...

1F
Old May 26, 2016, 2:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Please may I prostrate myself before the expertise of this board - I don't think this warrants a new thread.

I'm eyeing up a South American jaunt LCY-MAD-LIM-CUZ-LIM-BUE-GRU-LHR. This is pricing up pretty reasonably on ITA Matrix although I don't seem to ba able to get it to behave on a website. So I'm thinking about approaching a TA to do this. The LCY-MAD part is on BA so would I be able to get BA to ticket this for me by calling up?
Old May 26, 2016, 5:45 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Would some kind person assist me please?

Boys (and Girls?) - can you help me with two thing - I am confused over the Tier Points for the following itinerary

DUB - LCY I
LCY - JFK I
JFK - MIA A
LAX - LHR I
LHR - DUB I

Sorry to ask you, but you'll do in seconds what I would have to look up here and there to find.

Secondly - what would I get if I chose SJU-MIA I
MIA - SAN A ?

Many Thanks

PGXXXX
Old May 26, 2016, 5:53 am
nvh

Quick response off the top of my head:
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
DUB - LCY I ---> 40
LCY - JFK I ---> 140
JFK - MIA A ---> 60
LAX - LHR I ---> 140
LHR - DUB I ---> 40
Old May 26, 2016, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by nvh
Quick response off the top of my head:
The LAX-LHR in I would be worth 140 not 210.
Old May 26, 2016, 5:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
I see. Reply to PUCCI but not me. I get the hint

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.