Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

[Report Published] BA2276 LAS-LGW B772 G-VIIO aircraft fire Las Vegas airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Report Published] BA2276 LAS-LGW B772 G-VIIO aircraft fire Las Vegas airport

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2016, 12:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Interesting that the door managed to survive without damage, looks rather odd stuck in the middle of the new panels.

Edit: I wonder if the door is a replacement, maybe off G-YMMM? I am not sure what the commonality of parts between 777-200IGWs and 777-200ERs is.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 9:15 am

Pictures from Victorville

Just seen some images of G-VIIO after landing at VCV and by the looks of it its damage appears to have been on the right hand side as well as the left, also does anyone know if it had two new engines fitted because the right one looks like it has shiny fan blades

https://www.flickr.com/photos/920404...57665371433426

Thanks
Craig
Old Mar 4, 2016, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Craig777
... also does anyone know if it had two new engines fitted because the right one looks like it has shiny fan blades
Are you referring to the silver-coloured strip on the leading edge of each fan blade? I thought that that's how they always look. See, for example:

(From this page - image above is clicky.)
Old Mar 5, 2016, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Dicksbits
Is it a 3-class bird? Is it likely they'll give it a cabin refresh as well as an outside paint job?
While maybe not altering the layout, wouldn't there have to be a fair amount of refresh/refurbishment to get rid of the smoke smell?
Old Mar 6, 2016, 1:42 am

If it still smells of smoke when it arrives at Cardiff for the C-check I'm sure things like seat covers will get exchanged for freshly-cleaned ones from the stores, carpets will be changed and so on. Smoke smell really only lingers in fabric and carpets, everything else can be washed down.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 2:08 am

Just seen some images of G-VIIO after landing at VCV and by the looks of it its damage appears to have been on the right hand side as well as the left, also does anyone know if it had two new engines fitted because the right one looks like it has shiny fan blades

Thanks
Craig
The right engine is already painted whereas the left one isn't, so that suggests only the left one has been replaced.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 2:12 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Dicksbits
Is it a 3-class bird? Is it likely they'll give it a cabin refresh as well as an outside paint job?
Lol this is BA we are talking about!!
Old Mar 6, 2016, 4:21 am

Thanks
Craig
I am not 100% sure on this, but the reason the right hand side has new skin is due to the replacement of the 'Static Pressure' ports. As smoke and debris contamination may well have affected all of the ports on both sides it will likely be a requirement to replace the lot and the Air Data Modules they connect to. The static pressure is fed to units known as an ADIRU and SAARU and off to other aircraft users of static pressure such as cabin pressurisation controllers. All the data from both sides of the aircraft is continuously cross checked. Should an anomaly be found, the aircraft alerts the crew to the issue and it can mean certain functions of the flight instruments start to go a bit 'wonky'. Replacing and retesting the lot is a far safer bet, but no doubt means skin panels bring removed etc. The left hand damaged area also contains the 'negative pressure relief' valves which no doubt were also replaced. There is lot going on in that part of the fuselage, hence work would require full replacement of affected system components.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 5:04 pm

Just been given an extensive presentation on the IIO repair (taking nearly two hours - on a Sunday!!). I'm not going to share the details because it would be inappropriate, but much of it contradicts what has/is being said both on here and in many media/social media outlets.

It looks to me like a rather professional job by the Boeing guys. It was actually rather quick too from when the contract was actually signed with them to when they had it finished. By the time the falsework and panelling was stripped back, there wasn't actually much damage done to the aircraft systems.

For those above wondering about a cabin refresh - unfortunately not but there is 'an extensive cabin excellence work package' planned for Cardiff so you can expect it to get a good deal of attention nonetheless.

Would I go flying on it? Yes without shadow of a doubt. (Notwithstanding that I don't use Gatwick!)
Old Mar 6, 2016, 5:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by alextheengineer
Just been given an extensive presentation on the IIO repair (taking nearly two hours - on a Sunday!!). I'm not going to share the details because it would be inappropriate, but much of it contradicts what has/is being said both on here and in many media/social media outlets.

It looks to me like a rather professional job by the Boeing guys. It was actually rather quick too from when the contract was actually signed with them to when they had it finished. By the time the falsework and panelling was stripped back, there wasn't actually much damage done to the aircraft systems.

For those above wondering about a cabin refresh - unfortunately not but there is 'an extensive cabin excellence work package' planned for Cardiff so you can expect it to get a good deal of attention nonetheless.

Would I go flying on it? Yes without shadow of a doubt. (Notwithstanding that I don't use Gatwick!)
I must admit I was suprised how quickly they got the job done once they started, however I would not doubt for a minute that it would not be done to the best of professional standards. My one concern is though if they do a really good job at CWL, you may get to fly on it, as heathrow ops will try to swap it for one of their tattier samples.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 6:34 am

Is G-VIIO due to fly to Cardiff tomorrow?

Originally Posted by TCX69

She is then due to ferry to CWL on 14th March to commence a C–Check before returning to LGW on 22nd March.
Does anyone know if this is still planned to happen tomorrow and if so does anyone have the flight times and flight number?

Also thanks to those who commented on my last post

Last edited by Craig777; Mar 13, 2016 at 6:37 am Reason: iPad decided to send message halfway through typing
Old Mar 13, 2016, 7:49 am

Deleted.

Last edited by TCX69; Feb 12, 2020 at 3:36 pm
Old Mar 15, 2016, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
G-VIIO on the way to CWL (UK)

Great news!

After long month due to engine fires in Las Vegas and the 777-200ER aircraft (G-VIIO) is leave from Victorville, CA to Cardiff, UK. They are on the way back to United Kingdom.

https://www.flightradar24.com/BAW9179/91b2e08

Happy to be back home. They will put back on revenue routes again sometime in a couple month later.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 10:26 pm

Woe, you take your planespotting seriously.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by ABeautifulPlaceInThe
Woe, you take your planespotting seriously.
LOL! I haven't go to planespotting for a long time. I don't have much time. I was so extremely busy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.