Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

[Report Published] BA2276 LAS-LGW B772 G-VIIO aircraft fire Las Vegas airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Report Published] BA2276 LAS-LGW B772 G-VIIO aircraft fire Las Vegas airport

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2016, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by 110pgl
FWIW -

Just a suggestion...

Multi-select outside view cameras - pop-up screens on left and right sides of cockpit. Think the size of iPad Retina.

Screen on back side of cockpit door - shows who wants to come in and a view of the cabin. Again, think iPad Retina size for screen quality and size/depth.

Just ideas to give the pilots more information, if they want it.

(On a side note, when I was ATC, we were trained to never tell a pilot something definitively about their bird... so one day when I saw flames clearly shooting out of a smoking engine, I had to tell a jumbo pilot that it "appeared his left engine was on fire". He landed safely. )
Most (all?) newer aircraft already have cameras integrated to the cockpit displays to aid ground movements, including the 77W. You may not be able to zoom in on a postage stamp but you could certainly see if something was on fire or no longer there. Perhaps after BA2276 this is something Boeing will work on for the 777X.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 2:45 am

Programs: BA Silver, for now at least...
Whether my logic is sound or not, I will NOT book a BA flight if there is a chance of getting this aircraft post-repair - I would just not feel comfortable given the level of damage to the fuselage and wing.

I am not a nervous flyer - I just feel that Boeing are going into the unknown here.

I am sure I am not alone either.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Professor Yaffle
I am not a nervous flyer - I just feel that Boeing are going into the unknown here.
But have you seen how much fuselage patching / repairing goes on as a matter of routine? You just don't know about it normally.

And by your logic, presumably you'd refuse to fly any Ethiopian Airlines flight operated by a 787, because it might be operated by the aircraft that had to have its tail chopped off and then stuck back on again as part of the completely unprecedented Boeing repair job?
Old Jan 7, 2016, 3:33 am

Programs: BAEC, FB, QANTAS, IHG, Hilton, Marriott, AVIS Preferred, MRAeS
Whether my logic is sound or not, I will NOT book a BA flight if there is a chance of getting this aircraft post-repair - I would just not feel comfortable given the level of damage to the fuselage and wing.

Well each to their own and you may not be alone. However, Boeing have the repair schemes for this type of thing. In addition full ground testing, ground pressure tests followed by an air test will follow I would suggest.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by 110pgl
FWIW -

Just a suggestion...

Multi-select outside view cameras - pop-up screens on left and right sides of cockpit. Think the size of iPad Retina.

Screen on back side of cockpit door - shows who wants to come in and a view of the cabin. Again, think iPad Retina size for screen quality and size/depth.

Just ideas to give the pilots more information, if they want it.

(On a side note, when I was ATC, we were trained to never tell a pilot something definitively about their bird... so one day when I saw flames clearly shooting out of a smoking engine, I had to tell a jumbo pilot that it "appeared his left engine was on fire". He landed safely. )
A nice idea for future aircraft designs but a retro fit to existing airframes would present enormous costs for only a very small chance that cost will be in anyway useful. Design, installation and certifications costs are just the start of it. Submitting type design changes to the relevant aircraft certification bodies is a whole other cost all together. The costs to some airlines for retrofitting iPad type EFBs with aircraft powered charging capability has been staggering, but this technology is used on every flight, thus justifiable.

Originally Posted by Globaliser
But have you seen how much fuselage patching / repairing goes on as a matter of routine? You just don't know about it normally.

And by your logic, presumably you'd refuse to fly any Ethiopian Airlines flight operated by a 787, because it might be operated by the aircraft that had to have its tail chopped off and then stuck back on again as part of the completely unprecedented Boeing repair job?
I would hazard that a significant proportion of aircraft worldwide would be unsuitable for Professor Yaffle to travel on. Thus inducing your own IRROPS on your travel plans. As Globailiser points out, 'ramp rash' is a fact of aviation, and other environmental damage also gets repaired meaning there are a lot of aircraft out there with patch repairs et al. The effect is most notable on brand new aircraft. New metal seems to have a strong magnetic influence on other near by metallic objects and vehicles. It is as if they attract damage.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by Sigwx
I would hazard that a significant proportion of aircraft worldwide would be unsuitable for Professor Yaffle to travel on. Thus inducing your own IRROPS on your travel plans. As Globailiser points out, 'ramp rash' is a fact of aviation, and other environmental damage also gets repaired meaning there are a lot of aircraft out there with patch repairs et al. The effect is most notable on brand new aircraft. New metal seems to have a strong magnetic influence on other near by metallic objects and vehicles. It is as if they attract damage.
^
Old Jan 7, 2016, 4:22 am

Programs: BA Silver
Re: repairs to aircraft. I have a friend that works for a subcontractor of RR in Derby. He repairs engine turbine fan blades.
When they get chipped or indeed broken they don't just fit new ones, they splice a new piece onto the existing blade.
He does them in a vacume environment and each one gets x-rayed after repair and the serial number recorded. He says he has worked on several blades numberious times.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 5:13 am

Programs: BA

Boeing are quite competent in all this and the aircraft are designed for repair. A D-check can see the airframe dismantled and reassembled, especially for corrosion replacement, far more than this one is going to be.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 6:34 am

Last time I had figures for it (2012) ground damage to aircraft was costing BA c20million per annum. Most aircraft have some damage that has been patched up.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 6:53 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Waterhorse
Last time I had figures for it (2012) ground damage to aircraft was costing BA c20million per annum. Most aircraft have some damage that has been patched up.
One BEA Trident G-ARPI was in the hangar when a Comet 4B outside on an engine test suddenly overrode its chocks and crashed forward into the hangar doors, bringing them down on the tail of the aircraft. It was repaired. Shortly afterwards it was parked at Heathrow when an out-of-control landing aircraft crashed into it, completely severing the tail. It was repaired again. It had a further subsequent accident and there was a check that the repairs were nothing to do with it, but they had been fine and the third issue was a piloting one.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 7:01 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by WHBM
One BEA Trident G-ARPI was in the hangar when a Comet 4B outside on an engine test suddenly overrode its chocks and crashed forward into the hangar doors, bringing them down on the tail of the aircraft. It was repaired. Shortly afterwards it was parked at Heathrow when an out-of-control landing aircraft crashed into it, completely severing the tail. It was repaired again. It had a further subsequent accident and there was a check that the repairs were nothing to do with it, but they had been fine and the third issue was a piloting one.
And that third tragic accident is the reason BA skipped G-EUPI in the registrations of the A319 fleet. I believe they did not want to use Papa India again.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by phol
Most (all?) newer aircraft already have cameras integrated to the cockpit displays to aid ground movements, including the 77W. You may not be able to zoom in on a postage stamp but you could certainly see if something was on fire or no longer there. Perhaps after BA2276 this is something Boeing will work on for the 777X.
I am aware of the camera's in new planes, but, I was not aware there are camera's that view all outside (potential) areas, such as wings and tail.

A nice idea for future aircraft designs but a retro fit to existing airframes would present enormous costs for only a very small chance that cost will be in anyway useful. Design, installation and certifications costs are just the start of it. Submitting type design changes to the relevant aircraft certification bodies is a whole other cost all together. The costs to some airlines for retrofitting iPad type EFBs with aircraft powered charging capability has been staggering, but this technology is used on every flight, thus justifiable. ...
I agree. And like many changes, the next generation of aircraft are where the big changes are (reasonably) made.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 1:55 pm

An Airworthiness Directive, relating to the engine, has now been issued. AD Number- US-2015-27-01 Effective 27 Jan 16.

http://ad.easa.europa.eu/ad/US-2015-27-01

Last edited by vibrex; Jan 14, 2016 at 1:59 pm Reason: Insert Web Page
Old Jan 14, 2016, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vibrex
An Airworthiness Directive, relating to the engine, has now been issued. AD Number- US-2015-27-01 Effective 27 Jan 16.

http://ad.easa.europa.eu/ad/US-2015-27-01
Seems to be a cracked turbofan blade in the compressor
Old Jan 14, 2016, 3:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
The AD states:

Costs of Compliance
We estimate that this AD affects 1 engine installed on an airplane of U.S. registry.

I find this hard to believe (though I have to accept it at face value) unless I have misunderstood what this means.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.