Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

[Report Published] BA2276 LAS-LGW B772 G-VIIO aircraft fire Las Vegas airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Report Published] BA2276 LAS-LGW B772 G-VIIO aircraft fire Las Vegas airport

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2015, 6:00 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
G-VIIO to be repaired: http://www.reviewjournal.com/busines...rran-fly-again

Originally Posted by reviewjournal.com
Noting that "safety is always British Airways' top priority," a company spokeswoman said in an email, "The airframe was inspected by a team of highly experienced engineers from Boeing who concluded that the damage was limited and suitable for repair.

"A team from Boeing will carry out the repair work, which will be certified to the same high standards as if the aircraft was brand new," she said. She did not give a timetable for repairs or when the plane would be flown, but the work is expected to begin next month.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 8:02 pm

Programs: BAEC silver
Makes sense to repair it if deemed acceptable from a safety and cost stand point. With BA extending their life to 30 years I guess they need every frame they have. I suppose BA would also like this repaired to avoid an awkward statistic. This would be the 5th(?) 777 hull loss if written off. That would mean 40% of all 777 hull losses would be attributable to them. The press would love a stat like that for their next airline bashing session.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 1:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by ACARS
Makes sense to repair it if deemed acceptable from a safety and cost stand point. With BA extending their life to 30 years I guess they need every frame they have. I suppose BA would also like this repaired to avoid an awkward statistic. This would be the 5th(?) 777 hull loss if written off. That would mean 40% of all 777 hull losses would be attributable to them. The press would love a stat like that for their next airline bashing session.
Also makes sense from a timeframe point of view.

No doubt a repair would be sorted much quicker than a replacement 777 could be sourced.

Good news all round

cs
Old Dec 17, 2015, 2:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by ACARS
Believe it would be 6:
1 x BA at LHR
1 x Egyptair (smoke at Cairo)
1 x Asiana at SFO
2 x MH (MH17, MH370)

But point on stat bashing remain true.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by JAXBA
I would imagine they will get a new tail number. People might feel uncomfortable about being on that plane.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by 110pgl
I would imagine they will get a new tail number. People might feel uncomfortable about being on that plane.
The vast majority of passengers wouldn't even know. Plenty of airlines continue to fly repaired aircraft using the original registration. And a G- registered aircraft doesn't have any kind of number in its reg.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 3:15 am

I would imagine the only people to follow that line of thought would be FT types who will probably know old an new, as there will be a thread on it....
Old Dec 17, 2015, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
The vast majority of passengers wouldn't even know. Plenty of airlines continue to fly repaired aircraft using the original registration. And a G- registered aircraft doesn't have any kind of number in its reg.
True. But airlines change quite a few tail numbers for a variety of reasons.

And while I would agree the vast majority of passengers wouldn't know, I would think changing it just makes it better to put it behind.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 6:50 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Unlikely, to do so might suggest they were trying to hide something !
It's very rare for an airline to re-regsiter it's own aircraft, they tend to to change on sale but not during operations.

The Boeing repair team are industy professionals and will do a good job.

Probably.
It's all about the quality control.

Best not read the next bit, because when a repair goes wrong, it *really* goes wrong.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_Airlines_Flight_123
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_Airlines_Flight_611
Old Dec 17, 2015, 7:20 am

It would be a good opportunity for BA to right the wrong that was stopping the G-YMMx series just short of G-YMMV.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 8:30 am

Programs: BA Gold & HH Silver
I've flown on G-EUOE (The BA762 Incident Aircraft) a few times since the incident.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 9:14 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by BLHD
I've flown on G-EUOE (The BA762 Incident Aircraft) a few times since the incident.
I think it depends on the incident. An engine failure or fire is one thing, but something that significant damages the structural integrity of the aircraft, such as the cases linked above with JAL Air China, usually instils more fear in people.

As silly as it seems I would happily fly in the BA aircraft that suffered an engine explosion, but I feel uneasy flying on a 787 and somewhat an A380. After the design faults in the DC-10's cargo door which caused a crash, I like to wait a five years or so with an aircraft type flying before boarding it. I accept testing is top notch, but even testing can miss things that are only picked up after countless cycles of an aircraft.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.

And while I would agree the vast majority of passengers wouldn't know, I would think changing it just makes it better to put it behind.
Any examples?

QF didn't re-register either VH-OJH or VH-OQA, or even change their names.

Are there any examples of airliners which have been re-registered simply because they were damaged in an accident and then repaired and returned to service?
Old Dec 17, 2015, 10:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold
From what I know, GE was at fault and they are the ones having to pay up for the repair.

And the talk I have heard is Boeing are trying to control (stop) the scrapping of 777's, since at the moment they control the supply of parts.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 11:15 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by Forever in Seattle
From what I know, GE was at fault and they are the ones having to pay up for the repair.

And the talk I have heard is Boeing are trying to control (stop) the scrapping of 777's, since at the moment they control the supply of parts.
Boeing pretty much ALWAYS controls the supply of parts. It's one of the most profitable parts of their business. At one point, their parts business was the largest business on the web. Of course, with the price of some these parts, it wasn't hard to bring in the money as a landing gear assembly is very expensive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.