Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

[Report Published] BA2276 LAS-LGW B772 G-VIIO aircraft fire Las Vegas airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Report Published] BA2276 LAS-LGW B772 G-VIIO aircraft fire Las Vegas airport

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:13 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
Doesn’t the report state that Engine 2 was still spinning so the slides from 2R and 3R couldn’t be deployed?
2R was not used due to the fire and smoke rather than the CC noting engine 2 being on. That door was not opened.

3R was opened and was going to be used, but the slide was not at a usable attitude so that exit was blocked. Similarly 4R was opened and was going to be used, but the slide was not at a usable attitude so that exit was also blocked. Therefore two exits which the CC thought could be used and where the doors were opened in the end were not used due to the slide not being deemed usable by the CC.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
One thing I noted in the report was the door usage during evacuation and specifically slides not being usable thereby stopping use of that door.

The 777 has four doors either side, 1L, 1R, 2L, and 2R forward of the wing, and 3L, 3R, 4L, and 4R behind the wing.

Doors 1L, 2L, 2R, and 3L were deemed not usable by the CC due to external hazards leaving four doors 1R, 3R, 4L, and 4R which could be used. Of those four, the slide didn't correctly deploy on two of them 3R and 4R leaving only 1R and 4L which were used to evacuate. I am sure in previous reports there have been issues with slide deployment on the 777 - is there an issue with the slides on that aircraft or is there normally a high failure rate for slides? It seems half of the usable doors couldn't be used due to slides not deploying properly which surely has to be concerning. The wind speed noted at the back of the report of 6 kts doesn't seem particularly high to cause problems?
Ok so at the moment of evacuation three door/slides were unusable due to fire related conditions outside, one was opened, used by a few passengers and became unusable and two doors should have been usable but the engine was running. Leaving two doors were useable and used throughout.

Evacuation standards are not quite real life but start with an assumption that the maximum passenger load can be evacuated from half the doors in 90 seconds. The 777-200 has 8 exits and is certificated for 440 passengers, so in test configuration Boeing demonstrated 440 people evacuating from 4 exits in 90 seconds. So evacuating 150 ish through two exits in 2mins 25 seconds (timed from the first door opening) is an interesting datapoint. Most of the research I've seen says a pooled fuel fire will start to breach the fuselage in about 3 minutes. In this one we see the Club cabin wall compromised with a (relatively) small fire lasting a bit over 4 minutes.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by shadowline
Interesting reading for sure - thanks for posting.

One question, from a layman;
How could the investigators have known when the crack initiated, considering there had been no record of it before the investigation?
To put the simplest term on this... every time it flexed a bit it left a mark. Often called "beach marks" they look like contour lines around the stress concentration...I think a better analogy may be the stretch marks on skin often associated with pregnancy, it's a material thats been stressed and microscopically stretched each time giving a little more.

The method for the investigator at it's simplest is: find the broken bit, clean it up, put it under a microscope and get counting. If you know how many stress cycles it has been under then you can make an approximation to how long ago it started.
Ldnn1 likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:30 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tinkicker
and two doors should have been usable but the engine was running. Leaving two doors were useable and used throughout.
As noted above though the two doors which were opened and not used (3R and 4R) were blocked by the CC because they deemed the slide to be at an unusable attitude rather than the CC not using them as they noticed engine 2 was still running.

Perhaps they are linked tho? Would engine 2 still running at idle be blowing air back over where those two slides at a sufficient speed to have caused them not to deploy at the right attitude?

As you say though, a very swift evacuation was done by the cabin crew so all credit to them, and fortunately it wasn't fully loaded (I think there could have been up to 330 odd passengers if so).

Last edited by KARFA; Jun 21, 2018 at 8:41 am
Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Originally Posted by gcuk
In my view, he encountered an emergency, he stopped the plane and everyone walked away from a potential disaster. By all means the airline can learn from the report but it doesn't detract from my view that he and the crew remain heroes and I'd happily board a flight with any one of them.
thankfully NTSB/AAIB reports don't get written based on preconceived feelings !
Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:46 am

As noted above though the two doors which were opened and not used (3R and 4R) were blocked by the CC because they deemed the slide to be at an unusable attitude rather than the CC not using them as they noticed engine 2 was still running.

Perhaps they are linked tho? Would engine 2 still running at idle be blowing air back over where those two slides deployed at a sufficient speed to have caused them not to deploy at the right attitude?
Even at Idle there is a vast volume of air coming out the back of the engine. The diagram below is for the GE90 Engined 300ER but it's close enough! At the tail at you are looking at 50 mph winds and it's laterally just about where the bottom of the slide would be. I can't find the diagram but there is also a 15 ft intake danger area which goes 5ft back behind the intake as well (at idle) so using 2R would have had some risks (had the fire not been there).

Source: Boeing airport planning doc
KARFA and hedgehopper like this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by tinkicker
To put the simplest term on this... every time it flexed a bit it left a mark. Often called "beach marks" they look like contour lines around the stress concentration...I think a better analogy may be the stretch marks on skin often associated with pregnancy, it's a material thats been stressed and microscopically stretched each time giving a little more.

The method for the investigator at it's simplest is: find the broken bit, clean it up, put it under a microscope and get counting. If you know how many stress cycles it has been under then you can make an approximation to how long ago it started.
Thanks for explaining so clearly!
Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:53 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

The captain ordered passengers to evacuate from the right side of the airplane. But the NTSB found that the unaffected right engine continued to run for 43 seconds after the captain’s order, resulting in jet blast blowing two emergency slides out of position and rendering them unusable for the evacuation. The passengers and crew were able to use two of the eight doors to leave the airplane before smoke and fire encroached the fuselage.
Of those four, the slide didn't correctly deploy on two of them 3R and 4R leaving only 1R and 4L which were used to evacuate. I am sure in previous reports there have been issues with slide deployment on the 777 - is there an issue with the slides on that aircraft or is there normally a high failure rate for slides? It seems half of the usable doors couldn't be used due to slides not deploying properly which surely has to be concerning. The wind speed noted at the back of the report of 6 kts doesn't seem particularly high to cause problems?
3R was opened and was going to be used, but the slide was not at a usable attitude so that exit was blocked. Similarly 4R was opened and was going to be used, but the slide was not at a usable attitude so that exit was also blocked. Therefore two exits which the CC thought could be used and where the doors were opened in the end were not used due to the slide not being deemed usable by the CC.
I seem to recall the video showing 3R and 4R blowing around, and it was put down to the wind. Now we know why!!!
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: Some
I've always thought that the wording a lot of airlines use in their safety videos to the effect of 'please confirm the exit/two exits nearest to you' is extremely ill-advised and should really be something like 'please study the locations of the emergency exits throughout the cabin closely' - sadly, this incident basically confirms that for me.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:11 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
I've always thought that the wording a lot of airlines use in their safety videos to the effect of 'please confirm the exit/two exits nearest to you' is extremely ill-advised and should really be something like 'please study the locations of the emergency exits throughout the cabin closely' - sadly, this incident basically confirms that for me.
Why? They are going to be in front of you or behind you. If there's fire in front, go back. If there's fire behind, go forward.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Perhaps they are linked tho? Would engine 2 still running at idle be blowing air back over where those two slides at a sufficient speed to have caused them not to deploy at the right attitude?
My reading is yes:

Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
...the still-running right engine blasting wind against the rear two exits on that side of the plane, passengers had to escape through only two of the eight doors...
Overall it seems fortunate(?) that the two workable exits were fore and aft. For example , it would probably have been a far more tense and potentially (can't find a word to go here except volatile / inflammatory / explosive) situation for pax at rear if only 1R and 2R had been available, leading to more crush / trample injuries which in turn could have complicated evacuation. Also relatively lightly loaded, which if combined with that scenario could have been catastrophic.

Great that everyone got out, but can't shake feeling that everyone was lucky that a more devastating outcome didn't arise, for example if (more) fuel had spilled while still rolling and preventing use of 4L due to adjacent fire.

EDIT: To avoid any misunderstanding I should add that KARFA "liked" this before I added post-quote text to round out my views.
KARFA likes this.

Last edited by EsherFlyer; Jun 21, 2018 at 10:30 am
Old Jun 21, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
This report has come out almost 3 years after the event. Those involved had only seconds to act. Hindsight has its place but the acid test is all survived.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 10:41 am

This video shows why 3R and 4R were not usable...

Ldnn1 likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: BAEC (blue), VS Flying Club (red), Hotels.com (silver!), IHG, Amex, TopCashback, Tesco...
Originally Posted by Rubecula
This report has come out almost 3 years after the event. Those involved had only seconds to act. Hindsight has its place but the acid test is all survived.
In different circumstances, most notably a full flight, the outcome may not have been so favourable - it is important that the NTSB go to town on investigating these near misses. Only having seconds to act means doing what is most likely to be successful right first time ie all of the correct checklists - as I understand it a couple of seconds referring to the cover of the QRH here could have bought those hypothetical extra passengers (accident flight was only 55% full) the time they might have needed to escape.
fartoomanyusers likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
2R was not used due to the fire and smoke rather than the CC noting engine 2 being on. That door was not opened.

My mistake, thanks for the correction on the unusable ones due to the engine spinning

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.