Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA "Mad Thursdays" Continue - PRG-MEX in F - £486

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA "Mad Thursdays" Continue - PRG-MEX in F - £486

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2015, 10:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LondonCanuck
^ +1

Would also assume that they would not credit tier points and Avios, as per AA's T&Cs for mistake fares.

As a BA shareholder, the fact that they don't honor the fares is a good thing. Taking advantage of clear mispricings (which this undoubtedly was as per the BA Twitter screen shot, since cheaper than economy), it is akin to asking the ATM for 100 quid, and keep difference when it gives you 1,000. Even if a contract has been formed (automated process), not much more than petty theft...
Petty theft? I do hope that those F seats fly empty and there is zero revenue and that BA stole from their own pocket.

It is an old travel trick to look at all the fare buckets when doing a short notice flight because F may be cheaper than economy at that point. Is that theft?
Old Aug 29, 2015, 10:20 am

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
I cant agree that this was not an obvious pricing error, my test is to ask people who aren't regular travellers and see what they say. On this one they said "sounds too cheap".

However I think BA muddied the waters with the twitter response.

The people who are travelling just acted faster than BA systems do, and should be allowed to complete the journeys as I think a contract is in place.

I often book via AA.com as I find it a better website and will do so even more so now.

BA have created a real mess now in respect of what is a sale fare and what is a mistake. I would be reluctant to book a fare which appears a bargain in case it is withdrawn.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Flying Blue (KLM) Platinum, Oneworld (BA) Sapphire, *A (Aegean) Gold, IHG Spire RA,
Originally Posted by Gatwick Alan
I cant agree that this was not an obvious pricing error, my test is to ask people who aren't regular travellers and see what they say. On this one they said "sounds too cheap".
Did BA sent out any emails now? If not, what if a regular traveller, not somebody into error fares had booked this.
Its really strange.

To be honest I have sympathy to both parties.
But BA is making a mess with so many errors lately. How can we know if something is a promo in the future? Where is the line between error and a normal promo? at 50% ? 25%? 10%?
Old Aug 29, 2015, 10:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Gatwick Alan

However I think BA muddied the waters with the twitter response.

The people who are travelling just acted faster than BA systems do, and should be allowed to complete the journeys as I think a contract is in place.

I often book via AA.com as I find it a better website and will do so even more so now.

BA have created a real mess now in respect of what is a sale fare and what is a mistake. I would be reluctant to book a fare which appears a bargain in case it is withdrawn.
If we ask regular travelers what they think of some of the legit BA F fares, they laugh at it as an overpriced joke.

The LCC are winning the war. If customers get treated this way by BA, why pay extra for the supposedly better service?
Old Aug 29, 2015, 10:33 am

It will be interesting to see if AA still gives miles for the flights. So far I haven't heard anything from AA (at all). Seem like if they aren't going to give miles they should notify us.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 10:34 am

Programs: BA GGL
I think we are missing the point here. It cannot be the responsibility of a consumer to have to guess whether something is a mistake or a promotion. Even if these were priced at £10, there are plenty of companies, airlines included, who offer loss-leader publicity generating or loyalty capturing promotions. It's not our job to have to question if we are paying enough.

Furthermore, this is not a mom and pop company that can be devastated by taking a loss. Fares that can be purchased without subterfuge and are ticketed should be honored, period. Airlines have to accept accountability for their public facing platforms.

There is nothing morally wrong with taking advantage of a great deal.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 10:41 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by T8191
I have no horse in this race, but it's interesting to see the [apparently] different approaches taken by BA and AA. Whether that is down to the airlines, or the legislative environment they operate in, I neither know nor care. However, as much of my future TATL travel seems to be drifting from BA towards AA, it's an interesting debate. And it reinforces my 'lack of love' for BA these days.
AA probably has better customer relations but which company has the better finances ? I guess BA takes the tougher line in order to ensure it avoids bankruptcy, which would affect far more people.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by BA4EVER
I think we are missing the point here. It cannot be the responsibility of a consumer to have to guess whether something is a mistake or a promotion. Even if these were priced at £10, there are plenty of companies, airlines included, who offer loss-leader publicity generating or loyalty capturing promotions. It's not our job to have to question if we are paying enough.

Furthermore, this is not a mom and pop company that can be devastated by taking a loss. Fares that can be purchased without subterfuge and are ticketed should be honored, period. Airlines have to accept accountability for their public facing platforms.

This is exactly what I mean!!
Old Aug 29, 2015, 10:44 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.

How odd, you all knew by your presence on here this was a v obvious mistake fare. The German precedent was clear and yet some feel hard done by? To stare the blindingly obvious in the face and be surprised suggest that perhaps a basic common sense check is needed: if you can t learn from history you re doomed to repeat it. thus no sympathy from here - you all knew the likely outcome so get over it.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 10:45 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

The cheapest in economy return from Prague to Cancun I can find in the month October -November is a 10 nighter and costs £584.

There's no way any First class sale would undercut the cheapest economy ticket. No way. End of.

The whole "I didn't realise this was a mistake. But look BA, I'm a really really frequent valued customer" argument, to quote Joe Lycett "doth butter no parsnips".

Old Aug 29, 2015, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by DFB_london
How odd, you all knew by your presence on here this was a v obvious mistake fare. The German precedent was clear and yet some feel hard done by? To stare the blindingly obvious in the face and be surprised suggest that perhaps a basic common sense check is needed: if you can t learn from history you re doomed to repeat it. thus no sympathy from here - you all knew the likely outcome so get over it.
+1
Old Aug 29, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by bafan
AA probably has better customer relations but which company has the better finances ? I guess BA takes the tougher line in order to ensure it avoids bankruptcy, which would affect far more people.
Both are financially healthy. In 2014, American Airlines Group had a profit of $4.2 bn, IAG had a profit of €1.4 bn.

It's just that American Airlines sees the loss incurred by honoring these fares as less of a concern, than the increase in their brand value and loyalty of their customers.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 10:48 am

Exactly. A few years ago I flew from London to Milan on Ryanair for 1p. Yeah, unbelieveably cheap. Obviously that was a mistake? No, that was the actual fare including c/c fee. It got people talking, and people booking.

Airlines run so many deals, including premium cabins under cutting economy, that knowing what is a flash sale/deal/mistake is really a lot less clear cut, especially with viral marketing. Who's to say that having a 10 minute flash sale on your website "New York for £50" is a mistake, or an excellent marketing ploy to get people onto the website and telling their friends about it. Word spreads like wild fire nowadays - much cheaper than print advertising! And didn't BA have a sale on Concorde in it's final years for something like £100 one way?

BA give customers a very useful 24 hour cooling off period. If there is a genuine mistake, BA have the resources to find it within that time period and cancel a mistake they have made. Going beyond that 24 hours, then cancelling without a good reason and adequate email/telephone contact is not acceptable in 2015.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 10:53 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, BAPP
1p? Damn, that's twice as good as my 2p to Pisa!
Old Aug 29, 2015, 10:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SteveF
Yeah, I can see the Daily Mail headline now "BA cancels Toffs First Class Tickets - Refuse to Travel in Economy". Does anyone really believe that anyone outside of FT will care?
Not all Flyertalkers really care either to be honest....I for one don't give a monkey's.

I'm pretty sure the general public wouldn't unless you happen to be an 80 year old granny with a zimmer frame off to see the grandchildren in Mexico for the first time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.