Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA "Mad Thursdays" Continue - PRG-MEX in F - £486

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA "Mad Thursdays" Continue - PRG-MEX in F - £486

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2015, 11:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JamilD
Both are financially healthy. In 2014, American Airlines Group had a profit of $4.2 bn, IAG had a profit of €1.4 bn.

It's just that American Airlines sees the loss incurred by honoring these fares as less of a concern, than the increase in their brand value and loyalty of their customers.
Is honoring it a loss? Considering the value of the seat as being anywhere from zero to something else, I would still consider it a lesser gain.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 11:26 am

AA honors fare?

American Airlines will honor mispriced fares that were booked last week in select international markets. We hope customers enjoy their experience with American and book with us again in the future

This is from the German forum. Well done to AA - but shame on BA. Same fares/circumstances can't see why BA can't follow lead.

Now it could proof even more worth to send a complaint to the DOT and question the move by BA!!
Old Aug 29, 2015, 11:36 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by flipper747
American Airlines will honor mispriced fares that were booked last week in select international markets. We hope customers enjoy their experience with American and book with us again in the future

This is from the German forum. Well done to AA - but shame on BA. Same fares/circumstances can't see why BA can't follow lead.

Now it could proof even more worth to send a complaint to the DOT and question the move by BA!!
Do you have a link to that?
Old Aug 29, 2015, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by shefgab
Do you have a link to that?
http://www.vielfliegertreff.de/first-business-class-tarife/86783-vorbei-prg-cun-c-f-mit-ba-fuer-700euro-20.html
Old Aug 29, 2015, 11:41 am

Programs: BAEC
http://www.vielfliegertreff.de/first-business-class-tarife/86783-vorbei-prg-cun-c-f-mit-ba-fuer-700euro-20.html
Thanks!
Old Aug 29, 2015, 11:41 am

*flipperwasfaster*

Last edited by ctrlf; Aug 29, 2015 at 11:43 am Reason: *flipperwasfaster*
Old Aug 29, 2015, 11:46 am

Wow, we`ve got BA shareholders here

To me this and similar fares are like a lotery. Sometimes you win sometimes you don`t. And bigger the spread between "usual" price and "mine" price higher the chances are that this won`t work out.
If anybody goes for the sale and is ready to fly in the matter of hours or day or two, they must be fully aware of this and be prepared to a) fly in economy b) not fly at all. All airlines are corporations so by not giving them enough time to deal with that, you are just tempting luck. For those I don`t have any sympathy. You tried and it did not work out.

However the bottom line for me is the matter of communication. I understand that people make mistakes, that`s common. However what interests me is that BA is obviously not prepared for this event in any way. There are number of possible ways to handle this, but the chose the poorest one.

I don`t think that even the most hardcore FTs / travellers would get mad if BA would communicate in a way "hey guys, we messed up and sold bunch of tickets by mistake, if you are already in transit, we will let you go on with your trip. But if you are not please don`t board and call our CC and we will try work something out with you". Easy as that. And I firmly believe that this would get BA world wide news coverage as being the good guy with few nods from travellers who did indeed make it and are braging about BA F class.
But what does BA instead? Cancel your ticket without any email or explanation what so ever. Try to call BA that you`ve run into some error in your life and you need to cancel that ticket you`ve purchased...

Sorry for my english and to all fellow travelers stuck in Prague. We have almost 30C outside, blue sky and lot of pubs anb bars open enjoy
Old Aug 29, 2015, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonCanuck
^ +1

Would also assume that they would not credit tier points and Avios, as per AA's T&Cs for mistake fares.

As a BA shareholder, the fact that they don't honor the fares is a good thing. Taking advantage of clear mispricings (which this undoubtedly was as per the BA Twitter screen shot, since cheaper than economy), it is akin to asking the ATM for 100 quid, and keep difference when it gives you 1,000. Even if a contract has been formed (automated process), not much more than petty theft...
I have actually seen that in normal circumstances before.
i.e. UA A (first) class SFOBOS for 900 USD, where the cheapest economy fare is B class, selling for 990 USD.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by andset1191
The cheapest in economy return from Prague to Cancun I can find in the month October -November is a 10 nighter and costs £584.

There's no way any First class sale would undercut the cheapest economy ticket. No way. End of.

The whole "I didn't realise this was a mistake. But look BA, I'm a really really frequent valued customer" argument, to quote Joe Lycett "doth butter no parsnips".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Gkiw7zpULo
Not true.
Example
Does this mean if I booked the $333.8 first class fare, DL could cancel my ticket?
Old Aug 29, 2015, 11:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Adam_T
Sorry for my english and to all fellow travelers stuck in Prague. We have almost 30C outside, blue sky and lot of pubs anb bars open enjoy
Welcome to Flyertalk Adam_T, abd nothing worth apologising for in terms of your English! Welcome to the British Airways board and for that contribution. Thank you for that contribution, I hope you will continue to stay active here. I don't think anyone has said BA's communications about this matter has been a model of efficiency or even effectiveness (though AA shows how it can be done...).
Old Aug 29, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA ex-EXP (buh-bye!), HH Gold, SPG Gold, UM Go Blue

They had confirmed this with me on Twitter as well. I feel grateful that I made all my bookings through AA, as they will be honoring even the BA codeshares that are part of those tickets. Definitely makes me more loyal to AA - I will soon requalify for EXP for the 4th year, and will requalify next year by March 2016, thanks to this fare (3x) and a few other great deals.

THANKS AA!
Old Aug 29, 2015, 12:09 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Deleted - perils of working my way through a bit of a backlog
Old Aug 29, 2015, 12:19 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by Caciucco
1p? Damn, that's twice as good as my 2p to Pisa!
In BA speak I think it's "one times fewer"
Old Aug 29, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
The AA message quoted there doesn't refer to the PRG fares. Pretty sure that is from the statement they made on last week's Brazil fares.

I don't believe they've made a blanket, public statement yet on the PRG fares. Hoping they will.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
I have actually seen that in normal circumstances before.
i.e. UA A (first) class SFOBOS for 900 USD, where the cheapest economy fare is B class, selling for 990 USD.
Same for certain fares from DUB to LHR this Monday (waiting for Avios availability...) - I.e. CE<ET

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.