Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA "Mad Thursdays" Continue - PRG-MEX in F - £486

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA "Mad Thursdays" Continue - PRG-MEX in F - £486

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2015, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by mausibrausi
I have 2 tickets issued by BA but most of my flights are on AA. Have not heard a peep from BA. I will not log into my booking then BA can proof I knew about cancelled reservation, print my itinerary and show up at the BA counter in Prague. If they do not let us fly I will sue them. There was a court case about error fare on script- UK court- the airline had to pay damages in the amount of 8000 pounds because they did not honor the error fare ticket.
the question was wether the customer had to know that fare was error, The court concluded that only "insiders" can differentiate.
So don´t ask just go there. We have the law on our side. the only chance they have is scarring us into volontarily giving up our seats.
It is the law that they have to take you when you have a booking in your hand, even if they do not have a booking in their computer.
Looking forward to loads of Mexican food!
I hope you enjoy Taco Bell because you are not going anywhere. My experience of taking a corporate to court as a private individual was extremely expensive and the protracted stress over several years was not worth the 8K you quote.

Move on. You enjoyed the gamblers rush for a day. Don't be the miserable guy at the pub sticking coins in the fruit machine day in day out.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 5:45 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by ABeautifulPlaceInThe
I hope you enjoy Taco Bell because you are not going anywhere. My experience of taking a corporate to court as a private individual was extremely expensive and the protracted stress over several years was not worth the 8K you quote.

Move on. You enjoyed the gamblers rush for a day. Don't be the miserable guy at the pub sticking coins in the fruit machine day in day out.
You have my full respect for posting that. You are absolutely correct. Mind you, what people say the will do and what actually happens are two different things.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 5:47 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
While I personally wouldn't bother taking someone to court over this, there's a world of difference between 'small claim where we can't claim our legal costs and the marginal costs of providing the service are small' and taking a large corporate to costs over several hundred thousand.

But yeah, if you don't think that you can handle a small claim comfortably yourself, don't even dream of lawyering up, and certainly don't think of appealing without a lawyer!
Old Aug 30, 2015, 5:54 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by Cymro
While I personally wouldn't bother taking someone to court over this, there's a world of difference between 'small claim where we can't claim our legal costs and the marginal costs of providing the service are small' and taking a large corporate to costs over several hundred thousand.

But yeah, if you don't think that you can handle a small claim comfortably yourself, don't even dream of lawyering up, and certainly don't think of appealing without a lawyer!
I had a look at fees etc. for small claims court and for Bratwurst replacement flight I'd be looking at £350+ if it went to hearing, plus all the time/effort to actually prepare...

Maybe if I get some gardening leave soon
Old Aug 30, 2015, 5:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Cymro

It is also worth noting that a party may apply to have a claim with its origins in the [UK] small claims track 'upgraded' to another track where costs can become an issue. One of the grounds for a claim to be transferred to a different track is where there are complicated issues of law that need to be addressed.

The fact that the Lufthansa PRG-CPT judgment included costs in excess of £11,700 (a sum significantly less than that claimed by the claimant) goes to show how legally complicated (and expensive!) these claims can be.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 5:59 am

Programs: BA Silver
Indeed. I've got a ticket booked in this deal and I've adopted a laissez fare attitude towards it. If AA cancel it , so be it. I won't be booking any positioning flights or hotels for a good couple of months as I'm convinced AA are yet to review these tickets , as over on the AA Brazil mistake thread , AA have backtracked from Twitter confirmations and are canceling any tickets purchased with a non Brazilian credit card. However there wasn't any skulduggery like that on this fare so maybe it will remain ticketed. Let's see ...... To be honest I've enjoyed the ride.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 6:06 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BERbound
Indeed. I've got a ticket booked in this deal and I've adopted a laissez fare attitude towards it. If AA cancel it , so be it. I won't be booking any positioning flights or hotels for a good couple of months as I'm convinced AA are yet to review these tickets , as over on the AA Brazil mistake thread , AA have backtracked from Twitter confirmations and are canceling any tickets purchased with a non Brazilian credit card. However there wasn't any skulduggery like that on this fare so maybe it will remain ticketed. Let's see ...... To be honest I've enjoyed the ride.
A great attitude to have, very similar to mine. I booked on AA's UK website using a UK debit card, hopefully that will help. But at the end of the day if they decide to cancel it I won't give a jot. Other cheap flights will come along.

Last edited by headingwest; Aug 30, 2015 at 6:56 am Reason: perhaps a little too much information
Old Aug 30, 2015, 6:06 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Flying Blue (KLM) Platinum, Oneworld (BA) Sapphire, *A (Aegean) Gold, IHG Spire RA,
Is there anyone in Prague Wednesday 2nd september? maybe we can do a beer in the evening.
i'm NOT there for this error fare but just for business. but i'm free that evening
Old Aug 30, 2015, 6:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
All this talk of going to court is frankly laughable. This thread clearly demonstrates people thought this was a fare error long before the tickets got cancelled - BA made an error, some people lucked out and flew the next day, most people didn't and had their tickets cancelled and will get their money back.... Getting a grip and sense of perspective would be a much better course of action than appointing lawyers for the sake of a couple of grand (plus stress, bother, sanity etc.)
Old Aug 30, 2015, 6:26 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Going to court would be pretty silly unless BA refused to reimburse non-refundable expenses.

BA's attitude here is the bigger problem. Yes, flyers eagerly took advantage, but BA bears ultimate responsibility for filing the fare.

We got in on several Viking bookings, decided not to do Bratwurst for a variety of reasons, and grabbed one Cancun fare for a lark. Not interested in Warsaw as J can always be had around that price and UUAd. BA gained a lot of goodwill in our household by honoring Viking, and several other normal fare bookings were made afterwards. They've lost some of that goodwill by canceling Cancun.

I hope they will consider a middle ground, such as offering J and unrestricted Avios/GUF upgrades, or service recovery in the way of Avios or a substantial voucher/discount for future travel.

The irritation here is that AA is being honorable, and BA isn't.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by jmc1K
Going to court would be pretty silly unless BA refused to reimburse non-refundable expenses.

BA's attitude here is the bigger problem. Yes, flyers eagerly took advantage, but BA bears ultimate responsibility for filing the fare.

We got in on several Viking bookings, decided not to do Bratwurst for a variety of reasons, and grabbed one Cancun fare for a lark. Not interested in Warsaw as J can always be had around that price and UUAd. BA gained a lot of goodwill in our household by honoring Viking, and several other normal fare bookings were made afterwards. They've lost some of that goodwill by canceling Cancun.

I hope they will consider a middle ground, such as offering J and unrestricted Avios/GUF upgrades, or service recovery in the way of Avios or a substantial voucher/discount for future travel.

The irritation here is that AA is being honorable, and BA isn't.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 7:05 am

I booked tickets on ba.com to take the family away at half term.

My tickets were cancelled by ba before I received any email about this intended action. My credit card was charged and at the time the email from ba was received it had not been refunded. Ba is sitting on my money and that of many others. I shall have currency charges connected to this refund.

One fare error is a mistake, two is incompetent and is a third in such a short space of time intentional? How much interest has ba earned sitting on customers money for flights it has no intention of providing?

I have just been to Morrison's and bought beef burgers originally on sale at £2.99 that were priced at 29p. I also got a 79p yoghurt for 5p. The sales assistant took my money without comment and scanned my loyalty card. I am now unsure whether I should eat the items just in case Morrison's say it was an error as the items were too discounted to be a legitimate sale and it should have been obvious to me.

I flew to barceleno in the past for nil £ plus taxes. It was not an error, businesses try all sorts of promotions to get customers.

In this instance ba even thanked a blogger for sharing the fantastic deals that were available on its website at that moment in direct response to his blogging the fare. It is not as clear cut as ba would like especially given AA appears to be full filling its contractual obligations.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Trying to compare items bought from a shop and an airline ticket is a false comparison.

People try and raise them on a regular basis but they don't go anywhere because they are not the same.

And did BA actually charge you or was it just a 'hold' placed on it - they are not the same.

I booked a flight on Wednesday (not BA) yet the money was only actually charged to my account yesterday. In the interim it was just in 'pending charges' and not even listed as a specific transaction.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 7:17 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by travellertales

My tickets were cancelled by ba before I received any email about this intended action. My credit card was charged and at the time the email from ba was received it had not been refunded. Ba is sitting on my money and that of many others. I shall have currency charges connected to this refund.

One fare error is a mistake, two is incompetent and is a third in such a short space of time intentional? How much interest has ba earned sitting on customers money for flights it has no intention of providing?

I have just been to Morrison's and bought beef burgers originally on sale at £2.99 that were priced at 29p. I also got a 79p yoghurt for 5p. The sales assistant took my money without comment and scanned my loyalty card. I am now unsure whether I should eat the items just in case Morrison's say it was an error as the items were too discounted to be a legitimate sale and it should have been obvious to me.

I flew to barceleno in the past for nil £ plus taxes. It was not an error, businesses try all sorts of promotions to get customers.

In this instance ba even thanked a blogger for sharing the fantastic deals that were available on its website at that moment in direct response to his blogging the fare. It is not as clear cut as ba would like especially given AA appears to be full filling its contractual obligations.
I presume your burgers and yoghurt had reached their 'use by' date and were sold off cheaply to avoid the store being legally obliged to remove them from sale.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 7:18 am

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
Originally Posted by travellertales

Though I don't believe for 1 minute that BA are about to go bust, a previous company I worked for started sitting on money rather than paying it out to its rightful owners and eventually did go bust.

As for your supermarket example, any savvy shopper looking for bargains knows that the supermarkets reduce by 30/50/75/90% as the out of code date gets closer.

BA really ought to come up with a soothing customer statement otherwise some people might just start looking elsewhere for their flights.

I feel sorry for all the customer facing employees who are getting the brunt of all this and only being paid a fraction of the people taking the decisions and putting them in this position.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.