Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

HBO fares - Have to pay to select seat in advance [free for GCH/SCH/BCHs @ 14 Jun 17]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 7, 2015, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer

Hand Baggage Only fares (HBO) are available on domestic and EuroTraveller routes. They are offered at a lower price to those able to travel without checked baggage on point to point journeys only - they are not offered with connections, stopovers or with Club Europe. There isn't a special fare bucket for HBO, it's just a discount to all domestic/ET fare buckets, so even expensive flexible tickets offer HBO. The discount varies depending on route. For example, going HBO on LHR-DUB gives a £10 discount; £15 on LHR-PRG; and £20 on LHR-ATH. Online Travel Agents often book into these fares (including building stopovers) and are sometimes less than transparent about the baggage restrictions during the booking process. HBO fares do not earn OnBusiness credits.

BAEC status passengers from Bronze upwards get advance seat choice with these tickets.

How to get seat allocation if HBO and without status:
    - Pay up. You can pay up at OLCI if you don't like the seat. Costs vary from £7 to £21 per sector as a minimum, with differential pricing employed for better seats (e.g. an exit row on LHR-DUB was £23 in June 2017). Usually, but not always, this invalidates the cost saving of HBO. You can also pay up in Manage My Booking (MMB) before OLCI.
    - Cancel OLCI at the "confirm contact details" stage. Go in again and/or later and you may be offered another seat.
    - Corporate travel bookings still offer seating to HBO in some cases. Sometimes this ability is temporary and doesn't stick.
    - Ask check-in or the lounge agent for a better seat, so far this seems to be possible. Lounge agents won't be able to assist where they aren't part of the ground handling for BA (e.g. LBA).
    - If your airport has a Self Service Check In (SSCI) machine AND you do not print your boarding pass (see below) then you can select another seat there provided check-in is still open, typically up to 46 minutes before take off. So if you are being allocated a rotten seat and you can see better seats available, you can take a risk and complete/commence check-in later.

SSCI machines are available at: LHR, LGW, LCY, MAN, EDI (on the general purpose airport machines, but only those by the BA check-in area), NCE, BRU, OSL, BLL, AAR, MUC, AMS.
    They are NOT available at: ABZ, BHD, GLA, LBA, NCL, DUB, CDG, ORY, SVG, DUS, TXL, MAH, CFU, OLB, CTA, CAG, FDH, ANE, UIP, BIO, HER, SVQ, PMI, BRI.
    You can also do this operation the night before at LGW and LHR, details here.

By "printing boarding pass" we mean not selecting that option at OLCI, or saving, emailing, faxing and/or downloading the boarding pass on the App.
    Print Wikipost

HBO fares - Have to pay to select seat in advance [free for GCH/SCH/BCHs @ 14 Jun 17]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:24 pm

Programs: ABBA
    Originally Posted by Ldnn1
    I'm sorry but this talk of 'standard' fares is nonsense.

When I'm looking to buy a ticket, the standard fare is the cheapest fare available at the time. If HBO's available, that's the standard fare, and it may be cheap or it may be horribly expensive. If I want to check a bag (which I almost never do), I pay a fee on top of that fare. That's how the system works for me and many others here; it's just not how BA has chosen to present it.

This change now means that if I want to select my seats (which I always do), I also have to pay a fee for that on top of the standard fare. I didn't before. That's annoying.
    A standard fare is one advertised in the GDS. Are HbO fares advertised in the GDS? Do they show up when looking at prices on ita? Or are they special fares you only book through ba?
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:49 pm

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 8_1_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/600.1.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/8.0 Mobile/12B466 Safari/600.1.4)

Originally Posted by paulwuk

When I'm looking to buy a ticket, the standard fare is the cheapest fare available at the time. If HBO's available, that's the standard fare, and it may be cheap or it may be horribly expensive. If I want to check a bag (which I almost never do), I pay a fee on top of that fare. That's how the system works for me and many others here; it's just not how BA has chosen to present it.

This change now means that if I want to select my seats (which I always do), I also have to pay a fee for that on top of the standard fare. I didn't before. That's annoying.
    A standard fare is one advertised in the GDS. Are HbO fares advertised in the GDS? Do they show up when looking at prices on ita? Or are they special fares you only book through ba?
    Irrelevant. On the basis corporate travel agents have access to HBO fares (as evidenced upthread) your point is moot.

GDS and published fares are an increasing anachronism, caused by incentivisation of direct channels and.......unbundling like this!
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
    Thumbs down

I wrote to BA yesterday to complain about this change and their cut 'n paste department were clearly working overtime to reply at 2.30am with the following irrelevant drivel that failed to address my specific issue of status holders being banned from changing seats with a charge.
    Would be interesting to see if others got the same email reply.

I am sorry to hear that this change of seat selection when travelling on our Hand Baggage Only fares is making you reconsider your travelling future with British Airways.

We believe that these fares continue to offer our customers who choose them excellent value for money, however in order to offer such low fares we have to restrict the terms and conditions on them.

Of course everyone on our short-haul flights, regardless of the fare purchased, is offered benefits such as:
    - an allocated seat number before boarding their aircraft
    - a generous two-bag cabin baggage allowance (http://www.britishairways.com/inform...age-allowances)
    - free online, mobile or airport check-in and boarding pass issuance
    - parties travelling with infants get free seat choice at time of booking, and families are allocated seats together (where possible) a few days before departure
    - infants and children on Hand Baggage Only fares may still check in a fully-collapsible pushchair and a car seat.
    - semi-flexible and fully flexible fare choices, offering extra benefits
    - Executive Club benefits including earning Avios points that can be redeemed for flights
    - a unique London proposition - British Airways is the only short-haul airline to fly from London Heathrow, London Gatwick and London City with fares that can combine choice of airports

Please be assured that we will share your feedback with our Executive Club team.

I hope that this will not come as too much of a disappointment.
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by binman
    Of course everyone on our short-haul flights, regardless of the fare purchased, is offered benefits such as:
    I can't believe they think that's worth putting at the top of the list. Even FR have this!
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 12:19 am

Programs: BA GGL/GfL, A3 Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Gold
    HBO fares - Have to pay to select seat in advance [even for GCH/SCH/BCHs]

I'll add my voice to the chorus of GGLs who often travel on HBO fares. Of the 150 or so sectors a year I fly, around 50 of those are SH with BA. HBO is the ideal fare for me, as all my SH travel involves being away from home for a relatively short amount of time. In the past I've often POUGed up to CE, although since the new cabins arrived I've been less inclined to do so - plus the fact that fewer POUGs seem to be available these days, and when they do appear they're often significantly more expensive than they used to be. I'm struggling to understand the potential gain for BA in this utterly miserable development. Asking a GGL/CCR to pay for seat selection on a full Y (minus £20) fare is staggeringly crass move - but for me, as others have said, the general direction in which the scheme appears to be heading is the bigger issue here.

Next month I'll qualify for LTG, after which I'm seriously tempted to just leave it there where BA is concerned. I know the grass isn't necessarily greener - I'd expect most of them are just varying shades of brown - but this clumsy move seems particularly hostile to the type of BA customer who, even if they might be on a cheap fare every so often, must help to generate some profit in the bigger picture.
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 12:26 am

Programs: BA GGL/GfL, A3 Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Gold
    - a unique London proposition - British Airways is the only short-haul airline to fly from London Heathrow, London Gatwick and London City with fares that can combine choice of airports.
    A great selling point.
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 12:26 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
    Originally Posted by FrancisA
    I am sorry, but I really think people are getting far too worked up over a change which should really have been part of the HBO product in the first place.
    Can you explain why you think free seat selection - even for top tier passengers - should be removed as a consequence of saving the airline ground handling fees?

The idea of going HBO is supposed to give the airline an advantage by having fewer bags to process. HBO isn't a more restrictive fare and was never advertised as such. It's simply a discount - a thank you - for not checking a bag. It's counterintuitive that passengers should be penalised for this.
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 12:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
    One assumes it must only be a matter of time before catering becomes chargeable on SH.....

"We've listened to our customers, who have told us they would much rather pay for catering appropriate to the time of day"
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 12:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum

This talk of standard fees is not nonsense and is exactly how BA have described it.

HBO fares are a lesser product. If people choose to see them as the standard product and then get upset when they lack the features that they require, that is not BA's fault (they described the product correctly), but the passenger's, who has placed their own incorrect interpretation on the product.

What BA is doing is hardly unusual. With computer software there are frequently lite versions, offered for a low price or even free. They may suit many people's requirements. Would it be right to complain however if you found you needed the full product and couldn't make do with the lite version?

I am afraid those that saw HBO fares as the standard fare seem to have caused their own misfortune.
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by pianotraveller
    I'll add my voice to the chorus of GGLs who often travel on HBO fares. Of the 150 or so sectors a year I fly, around 50 of those are SH with BA. HBO is the ideal fare for me, as all my SH travel involves being away from home for a relatively short amount of time. In the past I've often POUGed up to CE, although since the new cabins arrived I've been less inclined to do so - plus the fact that fewer POUGs seem to be available these days, and when they do appear they're often significantly more expensive than they used to be. I'm struggling to understand the potential gain for BA in this utterly miserable development. Asking a GGL/CCR to pay for seat selection on a full Y (minus £20) fare is staggeringly crass move - but for me, as others have said, the general direction in which the scheme appears to be heading is the bigger issue here.

Next month I'll qualify for LTG, after which I'm seriously tempted to just leave it there where BA is concerned. I know the grass isn't necessarily greener - I'd expect most of them are just varying shades of brown - but this clumsy move seems particularly hostile to the type of BA customer who, even if they might be on a cheap fare every so often, must help to generate some profit in the bigger picture.
    Whilst the cuts have already driven me away from BA for all but my 4 flights per year, whether I fly 4 times a year or 48, half of those possible will be on HBO fares. I maintain BAEC status because some day I will come back to the UK and BA will be my only choice again. If after a 13 hour slog from HKG I run the risk of being stuck in a middle seat on the back row
    (I usually book the HKG-LHR and domestic connection separately), it makes it extremely tempted to shift those last 4 flights onto CX or QR, or even *A.
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 12:35 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
    I am sorry, but I really think people are getting far too worked up over a change which should really have been part of the HBO product in the first place.
    Not for GGHs (not to mention GGLs) it shouldn't.
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 12:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Sen, Delta Skymiles Gold
    I wrote to BA yesterday to complain about this change and their cut 'n paste department were clearly working overtime to reply at 2.30am with the following irrelevant drivel that failed to address my specific issue of status holders being banned from changing seats with a charge.
    Would be interesting to see if others got the same email reply.

I am sorry to hear that this change of seat selection when travelling on our Hand Baggage Only fares is making you reconsider your travelling future with British Airways.

We believe that these fares continue to offer our customers who choose them excellent value for money, however in order to offer such low fares we have to restrict the terms and conditions on them.

- a generous two-bag cabin baggage allowance (http://www.britishairways.com/inform...age-allowances)
    -free online, mobile or airport check-in and boarding pass issuance
    - parties travelling with infants get free seat choice at time of booking, and families are allocated seats together (where possible) a few days before departure
    - infants and children on Hand Baggage Only fares may still check in a fully-collapsible pushchair and a car seat.
    - semi-flexible and fully flexible fare choices, offering extra benefits
    - Executive Club benefits including earning Avios points that can be redeemed for flights
    - a unique London proposition - British Airways is the only short-haul airline to fly from London Heathrow, London Gatwick and London City with fares that can combine choice of airports

Please be assured that we will share your feedback with our Executive Club team.

I hope that this will not come as too much of a disappointment.
    Free check in...? wow..
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 12:44 am

I am afraid those that saw HBO fares as the standard fare seem to have caused their own misfortune.
    Pax saw HBO as the lowest fare, not the standard fare.

Many pax are obliged to book the lowest fare by their travel policy. BA should have known that all along.
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by gordon0808
    Free check in...? wow..
    For now
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 12:48 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Concorde Room Card, Hilton Diamond
    Originally Posted by PETER01
    I fail to see in what way HBO fares are not 'standard'. They use and book into the same fare class as the 'with bag' fares.

BA created a situation where there are two ticket prices for a given fare class - one if you want to check a bag, one if you don't.

It seems to me (and is) perverse to pay for a bag to obtain the status-based seat selection I've always enjoyed.

Bonkers. Absolute bonkers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.