Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

HBO fares - Have to pay to select seat in advance [free for GCH/SCH/BCHs @ 14 Jun 17]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 7, 2015, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer

Hand Baggage Only fares (HBO) are available on domestic and EuroTraveller routes. They are offered at a lower price to those able to travel without checked baggage on point to point journeys only - they are not offered with connections, stopovers or with Club Europe. There isn't a special fare bucket for HBO, it's just a discount to all domestic/ET fare buckets, so even expensive flexible tickets offer HBO. The discount varies depending on route. For example, going HBO on LHR-DUB gives a £10 discount; £15 on LHR-PRG; and £20 on LHR-ATH. Online Travel Agents often book into these fares (including building stopovers) and are sometimes less than transparent about the baggage restrictions during the booking process. HBO fares do not earn OnBusiness credits.

BAEC status passengers from Bronze upwards get advance seat choice with these tickets.

How to get seat allocation if HBO and without status:
    - Pay up. You can pay up at OLCI if you don't like the seat. Costs vary from £7 to £21 per sector as a minimum, with differential pricing employed for better seats (e.g. an exit row on LHR-DUB was £23 in June 2017). Usually, but not always, this invalidates the cost saving of HBO. You can also pay up in Manage My Booking (MMB) before OLCI.
    - Cancel OLCI at the "confirm contact details" stage. Go in again and/or later and you may be offered another seat.
    - Corporate travel bookings still offer seating to HBO in some cases. Sometimes this ability is temporary and doesn't stick.
    - Ask check-in or the lounge agent for a better seat, so far this seems to be possible. Lounge agents won't be able to assist where they aren't part of the ground handling for BA (e.g. LBA).
    - If your airport has a Self Service Check In (SSCI) machine AND you do not print your boarding pass (see below) then you can select another seat there provided check-in is still open, typically up to 46 minutes before take off. So if you are being allocated a rotten seat and you can see better seats available, you can take a risk and complete/commence check-in later.

SSCI machines are available at: LHR, LGW, LCY, MAN, EDI (on the general purpose airport machines, but only those by the BA check-in area), NCE, BRU, OSL, BLL, AAR, MUC, AMS.
    They are NOT available at: ABZ, BHD, GLA, LBA, NCL, DUB, CDG, ORY, SVG, DUS, TXL, MAH, CFU, OLB, CTA, CAG, FDH, ANE, UIP, BIO, HER, SVQ, PMI, BRI.
    You can also do this operation the night before at LGW and LHR, details here.

By "printing boarding pass" we mean not selecting that option at OLCI, or saving, emailing, faxing and/or downloading the boarding pass on the App.
    Print Wikipost

HBO fares - Have to pay to select seat in advance [free for GCH/SCH/BCHs @ 14 Jun 17]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:02 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
    Originally Posted by headingwest
    I've got 2 European trips (8 flights) booked in BASIC fare with Iberia this year. As oneworld sapphire (BA Silver) I was able to select seats and I can check in one item of luggage.

So it sounds a damn sight better than HBO bookings from late March.
    Absolutely. And in fact, IB frequently block middle seats for Emerald (whether "Basic" or not) so not only have I always been able to select seats but have only once had a neighbour on an IB European flight having booked every possible fare from cheapest to most expensive.

As mentioned, AF has done that for a while too but again, they waive the "no OLCI change" rule for FB platinum and gold (and in fact also give you the free status bag even on those fares so hand baggage only becomes 1 bag instead of 2).

I'm afraid that while we can look for comparisons, BA really is "worst in class" in terms of status passengers on that one by quite a long shot.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:03 pm
    Suspended

Not your finest moment, BA.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:03 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
    I've just looked to book Dublin and Munch flights and the HBO fare is £10 less than the standard fare. To me, all BA are doing is redefining the HBO offering which was introduced a year or two ago. I can understand the frustration, particularly given the apparent 'drip, drip' approach to announcements about the devaluation of the BAEC program, but I will pay the additional £10 in order to continue getting my seat of choice included in the fare and, in reality, I am no worse off on BA than I was before HBO was introduced.
    What this change does do however is increase my fare on BA for comparison with Easyjet. I'm already flying BA less and Easyjet more on short haul and I expect, given this latest change, my rate of change to Easyjet will increase.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:08 pm

Programs: BA Silver
    Originally Posted by kdhurst380
    I think this is one of BA's cleverer 'enhancements'. The HBO fare is a competitor to the offerings of easyJet & Ryanair, and in my view, a way of swiping up a few easyJet & Ryanair passengers.

In other words, these fares are not targeted towards the status holders, who theoretically don't go looking for the cheapest fare available; they're making a compelling offering to try and take some business off of BA's two biggest thorns in it's side.

Few people will stop flying with BA because of this, people care too much for their shiny cards, they'll either spend more on the frills included fare, or go to easyJet, and for every one BA status holder that goes to easyJet out of protest, another five easyJet passengers will come to BA because the price is the same/less for more (complimentary booze onboard).

It's as if revenue management have actually thought this one through.
    I am definitely inclined towards this interpretation.

I really can't see many Gold Card holders as regular HBO fare users - sorry I just don't buy that.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:11 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
    Originally Posted by stevehh
    I really can't see many Gold Card holders as regular HBO fare users - sorry I just don't buy that.
    Well I'm one. I earn my GGL through long haul Business class. All my short haul is booked on the cheapest economy ticket.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:13 pm

Programs: Priority Club Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, formerly BA Gold, formerly KLM silver
    When comparing BA and EasyJet, previously I would have compared the HBO price against the EasyJet price with the addition of the EasyJet minimum seat selection fee. I would take BA even if it was a little more than EasyJet because of the better hand luggage policy on BA, because of lounge access and because of a small amount of brand loyalty after almost 20 years of flying with them.

After this change, I will compare the BA price with hand luggage (i.e. a larger number than before) with the EasyJet price plus the slightly higher seat selection fee needed to trigger the 2nd piece of hand luggage. I expect to take whichever is cheaper. The BA advantage of hand luggage has been addressed by EasyJet. This change kills the small amount of brand loyalty stone dead. Lounge access goes away when I drop out of Silver in a few months.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:13 pm
    Suspended
    Hilton Contributor Badge

I am definitely inclined towards this interpretation.

I think you'll find a lot of Scottish commuters who are silver/gold fly HBO up and down to London all the time. They maintain their status with longhaul trips in CW/F.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:15 pm

Programs: Yorkshire Coastliner
    Just received the following email from former Flyertalker Sherwood Hampton:

"I contacted the GGL line because the customer relations web form wasn't working, and I've now formally complained with the GGL team who have set up a case number for me. I'm getting a phone call tomorrow. The lady I spoke to had LOTS to say on the matter and wonders what on Earth BA are thinking. She said that the matter will be brought up with the policy makers at BA."
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:15 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
    Dear BA,

I have redrafted some of the incorrect copy on your website. You're welcome - no charge

Bronze benefits

The great feeling of being in control

As a Bronze Member, you'll enjoy a streamlined travel experience — we know you're going places and your Bronze membership will help you get there (slightly) faster.

More rewards, sooner

As a Bronze Member, you'll collect 25% bonus Avios whenever you fly with British Airways. Unfortunately, they're not worth what they used to be, so don't get too excited The tier bonus is in addition to cabin bonuses for travelling in premium economy, business and first, giving you more to spend on your next reward flight, upgrade, hotel stay or car hire.

Many of our partner airlines also offer tier and cabin bonuses, helping you top up your Avios balance. For details, check the individual airlines found on our flight collection page and weep.

Learn more about collecting Avios

Learn more about spending Avios

Business class check-in and priority boarding whenever you fly

Speed through the airport (for the avoidance of doubt, the term "speed" should not be construed as implying that your experience will be over any sooner than anyone else's) by using our business class check-in desks and priority boarding* - regardless of what cabin you’re travelling in, whenever you fly with British Airways or one of our oneworld® airline partners.

* Priority check-in and priority boarding not available to Bronze Members at London City Airport.

Choose your seats in advance - for a fee, just like everyone else.

Make check-in even more straightforward by reserving your seats, free of charge, from seven days before departure (excluding exit row seats). Umm, sorry, just looking for the delete key for this paragraph

This service is not even available for British Airways flights only.

Saving your preferences

You can save your seating and meal preferences with us, so there's no need to remember them every time you travel. We'll do our best to provide your preferred choices wherever the option is available (subject to an administration fee...)

Next stop, Silver

Unless you're travelling in business or first, you won't be able to use our airport lounges just yet, you lucky thing. But the good news is you're already half way to becoming a Silver Member. You'll need to fly BA at least four times and earn 600 Tier Points, or take a total of 50 BA flights, to move through to the Silver tier by which time we'll have browned you off so much you'll be an Easyjet Plus Card holder !!!
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Silver
    I'm struggling to see why you're missing the obvious here, same day or one night frequent SH trips, surely GCH's make up a massive percentage of those buying HBO fares?
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold
    Originally Posted by andset1191
    I think you'll find a lot of Scottish commuters who are silver/gold fly HBO up and down to London all the time. They maintain their status with longhaul trips in CW/F.
    Fair statement - but this is only a small proportion of the target audience. The mainstay of passengers that these fares are targeted towards are going to be non status holders.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
    Nobody is forcing people to buy an HBO ticket
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:18 pm
    Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
    Originally Posted by kdhurst380
    I think this is one of BA's cleverer 'enhancements'. The HBO fare is a competitor to the offerings of easyJet & Ryanair, and in my view, a way of swiping up a few easyJet & Ryanair passengers.

In other words, these fares are not targeted towards the status holders, who theoretically don't go looking for the cheapest fare available; they're making a compelling offering to try and take some business off of BA's two biggest thorns in it's side.
    It pays to read the rest of the tread before offering such strongly worded opinions.

Many company travel programmes and TAs will enforce booking the lowest fare automatically.

This is going to hit status holders hard.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by shefgab
    The difference between a HBO fare, and the corresponding non-HBO fare in the same class is minimal (around £20?). The changes affect all HBO tickets, even for the more expensive fare classes. You can be on a cheap ticket that includes a bag, where you can select a seat, or you could be on an expensive fare (which has a much better yield for BA) that is HBO. There is no correlation between the fare class and if it is an HBO or not. Expensive last minute HBO exist.

e.g. tomorrow morning at 0705, BA charge £497 for a HBO o/w ticket to FRA (Y class) - PAID seat for Gold/Silver/Bronze
    But on Thursday at 1445 from LCY, BA will charge you £101 for a non-HBO ticket (O class) - free seat for Gold/Silver/Bronze

Where is the logic and link between fare, yield and HBO?

It seems BA have taken the arbitrary decision to change seat selection for HBO, where in fact they should have (well, if they need to do something) changed the seat choices for those on cheaper fares, where the deciding factor is fare class, not HBO/non-HBO. Checking in a bag has nothing to do with seats, and I guess not much to do with yield.
    This is the key point for me. I could understand if they applied the change only to the super-cheap c.£39 fares, but to apply it to ALL fares including the silly expensive fully-flex Y fares is absurd!

And even then, to not let GCH/SCH change for free even at OLCI just feels like a further massive devaluation of the BAEC programme for me.

I'm afraid anyone who still thinks (as suggested upthread) that BA's 'standard' fare includes baggage and that you get a 'discount' for going HBO is delusional. The reality on shorthaul is that BA's standard fares, across the board, now exclude checked baggage AND seat selection. Those items are simply separate perks that you must buy for an additional fee, whatever tier level you are.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:21 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
    Why not? Most people fly differently on long haul and within Europe. Within Europe, most of us do not need a checked luggage on very short trip, and thus buy HBO. Even on business travel, many companies impose the cheapest fare available under a certain flying time (but you can typically choose airport and schedule so that they are convenient for work) and by definition, on a given BA flight, the cheapest fare is always HBO. Many of those people may be flying J or F on much of their long haul travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.