Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

HBO fares - Have to pay to select seat in advance [free for GCH/SCH/BCHs @ 14 Jun 17]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 7, 2015, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer

Hand Baggage Only fares (HBO) are available on domestic and EuroTraveller routes. They are offered at a lower price to those able to travel without checked baggage on point to point journeys only - they are not offered with connections, stopovers or with Club Europe. There isn't a special fare bucket for HBO, it's just a discount to all domestic/ET fare buckets, so even expensive flexible tickets offer HBO. The discount varies depending on route. For example, going HBO on LHR-DUB gives a £10 discount; £15 on LHR-PRG; and £20 on LHR-ATH. Online Travel Agents often book into these fares (including building stopovers) and are sometimes less than transparent about the baggage restrictions during the booking process. HBO fares do not earn OnBusiness credits.

BAEC status passengers from Bronze upwards get advance seat choice with these tickets.

How to get seat allocation if HBO and without status:
    - Pay up. You can pay up at OLCI if you don't like the seat. Costs vary from £7 to £21 per sector as a minimum, with differential pricing employed for better seats (e.g. an exit row on LHR-DUB was £23 in June 2017). Usually, but not always, this invalidates the cost saving of HBO. You can also pay up in Manage My Booking (MMB) before OLCI.
    - Cancel OLCI at the "confirm contact details" stage. Go in again and/or later and you may be offered another seat.
    - Corporate travel bookings still offer seating to HBO in some cases. Sometimes this ability is temporary and doesn't stick.
    - Ask check-in or the lounge agent for a better seat, so far this seems to be possible. Lounge agents won't be able to assist where they aren't part of the ground handling for BA (e.g. LBA).
    - If your airport has a Self Service Check In (SSCI) machine AND you do not print your boarding pass (see below) then you can select another seat there provided check-in is still open, typically up to 46 minutes before take off. So if you are being allocated a rotten seat and you can see better seats available, you can take a risk and complete/commence check-in later.

SSCI machines are available at: LHR, LGW, LCY, MAN, EDI (on the general purpose airport machines, but only those by the BA check-in area), NCE, BRU, OSL, BLL, AAR, MUC, AMS.
    They are NOT available at: ABZ, BHD, GLA, LBA, NCL, DUB, CDG, ORY, SVG, DUS, TXL, MAH, CFU, OLB, CTA, CAG, FDH, ANE, UIP, BIO, HER, SVQ, PMI, BRI.
    You can also do this operation the night before at LGW and LHR, details here.

By "printing boarding pass" we mean not selecting that option at OLCI, or saving, emailing, faxing and/or downloading the boarding pass on the App.
    Print Wikipost

HBO fares - Have to pay to select seat in advance [free for GCH/SCH/BCHs @ 14 Jun 17]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
    Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
    Turkish Airways will match it to their Elite level (*G) Currently Etihad, Gulf, airberlin, Qantas are also matching (either straight from BA or via TK and some with caveats), though none of them to the top level - but GC is not BA's top level either.
    Yeah there must be some poaching going on. I would have thought rival airlines would be circling BA like prey looking to offer Gold and Silver members equivalent status as a teaser to jump ship.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:57 am

Programs: BAEC
    I just rang to complain, and I was told that you're not supposed to be charged for flights before 26th March. I was looking at on a week before, and they said I'd be refunded if I wound up paying a seat selection fee.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by colm
    They seem to have mis-implemented it. They said "For bookings made from 26 March".

I am now being asked to pay seat changes for my HBO to Dublin on 3 April, which I booked last week.

I thought at first it was related to my temporary demotion to Bronze (now reversed). At least it's kept the seat assignments I have.
    Point taken, their IT guys apparently really cannot do simple conditional statements.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:02 am

Programs: BA Gold (CCR), Cartafreccia, HH Diamond, Esselunga Fidaty Gold
    Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
    Turkish Airways will match it to their Elite level (*G) Currently Etihad, Gulf, airberlin, Qantas are also matching (either straight from BA or via TK and some with caveats), though none of them to the top level - but GC is not BA's top level either.
    At least officially BAEC Gold is still the top level, GGL is a subset of Gold and Premier is an invitation only level.

For me, not living in UK, GGL is not worth the effort to achieve 5000 TPs, expecially after the recent devaluations and, by the way, as a lowly Gold card holder with a quite low CIV I was gifted a CCR Card quite recently so even if I am only a GCH I can have part of the benefits of the GGL (I don't need jokers or any other perks).

My BAEC Gold will expire in 8 months, then I will try to match TK, very good for pax services but not the same if we consider safety and pilots...
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:04 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
    Originally Posted by SCSA
    So for the heck of it I empited the basket and tried to rebook at the checked bag fare, and it still wanted to charge me £7 for seat selection.
    Try clearing your cookies and then do the booking again.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:05 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
    WOW, their IT guys cannot do simple conditional statements ???
    Ahhh but you haven't seen what BA are willing to pay them

If you treat IT as a cost you cannot be surprised when it turns out to be quite costly.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:07 am

Programs: BAEC
    Originally Posted by Jagboi
    Try clearing your cookies and then do the booking again.
    Apropriate since this "enchancement" is making me lose my cookies!
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:14 am
    Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Just catching up with this thread and a poor way for BA to treat those with status.

As much as this thread will grow and grow this isn't going to change anything at all so it seems it will be pot luck where anyone might be given their seat allocation or whatever may be left.

I'm surprised no one has yet suggested that Bronze CH's should automatically be pre-allocated the middle seats , Silvers at the Window for a nice view and Golds in the aisle for a quick exit.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Aldebaran
    My BAEC Gold will expire in 8 months, then I will try to match TK, very good for pax services but not the same if we consider safety and pilots...
    Just as BA Gold doesn't force you to fly only with BA, a matched TK*G doesn't force you to fly only (or indeed at all) with TK
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:24 am

Very silly decision from BA, and I won't "punish" them by upgrading my fare or paying for seat selection. I will punish them in other ways.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:24 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
    Do you think that people with HBO fare will all end up in middle seats? My dear wife will hate me if that happens as when we fly together on my business trips I buy her an HBO fare. My place of work buys me a ticket with luggage. We often end up in separate rows but it does not matter to her since like me she prefers aisle seats. But now? We chose a really wrong time to start flying more with BA due to a job relocation to the UK. I guess I will have to pay for her seat or luggage fare that she will not use the luggage part
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:25 am

Programs: BA Gold
    This is really disappointing.

Not that I particularly thought HBO was a good idea at the start - the "free checked bag" was a big selling point. By differentiating the products here they've just made themselves closer and closer to a LCC. And it's made boarding more of a mess.

I didn't mind the recent enhancements to earning - it just put things back to where they were a few years ago.

But the dreadful, DREADFUL new cabins have sucked all the remaining joy out of short-haul flying. And this HBO enhancement - yes, I am a hypocrite, I have of course used them despite not liking their introduction - introduces more pain. Especially now the price discrepancy between HBO and "proper" fares seems to be climbing.

I've requalified for Silver already for the coming year, but after that I am not sure I can be bothered. It's just not looking particularly appealing any more.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
    Ahhh but you haven't seen what BA are willing to pay them

If you treat IT as a cost you cannot be surprised when it turns out to be quite costly.
    Are they getting paid in Avios?
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:30 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
    As a broad shouldered chap, the thought of a middle seat is not good.
    I would feel sorry for those sitting either side.
    Perhaps this drip drip of enhancements is an attempt to make us forget about previous enhancements!
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:36 am
    Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

On ba.com

Thanks to the support of our valued customers we are thrilled to announce that British Airways has been voted both no.1 Consumer Superbrand and no.1 Business Superbrand of 2015

On the BA Facebook Page

" Thank you to everyone who voted us the UK's number 1 Consumer Superbrand for the second year running, plus the number 1 Business Superbrand 2015! Thank you for your support and flying with us, we hope we can welcome you on board again soon! "

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.