Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

HBO fares - Have to pay to select seat in advance [free for GCH/SCH/BCHs @ 14 Jun 17]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 7, 2015, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer

Hand Baggage Only fares (HBO) are available on domestic and EuroTraveller routes. They are offered at a lower price to those able to travel without checked baggage on point to point journeys only - they are not offered with connections, stopovers or with Club Europe. There isn't a special fare bucket for HBO, it's just a discount to all domestic/ET fare buckets, so even expensive flexible tickets offer HBO. The discount varies depending on route. For example, going HBO on LHR-DUB gives a £10 discount; £15 on LHR-PRG; and £20 on LHR-ATH. Online Travel Agents often book into these fares (including building stopovers) and are sometimes less than transparent about the baggage restrictions during the booking process. HBO fares do not earn OnBusiness credits.

BAEC status passengers from Bronze upwards get advance seat choice with these tickets.

How to get seat allocation if HBO and without status:
    - Pay up. You can pay up at OLCI if you don't like the seat. Costs vary from £7 to £21 per sector as a minimum, with differential pricing employed for better seats (e.g. an exit row on LHR-DUB was £23 in June 2017). Usually, but not always, this invalidates the cost saving of HBO. You can also pay up in Manage My Booking (MMB) before OLCI.
    - Cancel OLCI at the "confirm contact details" stage. Go in again and/or later and you may be offered another seat.
    - Corporate travel bookings still offer seating to HBO in some cases. Sometimes this ability is temporary and doesn't stick.
    - Ask check-in or the lounge agent for a better seat, so far this seems to be possible. Lounge agents won't be able to assist where they aren't part of the ground handling for BA (e.g. LBA).
    - If your airport has a Self Service Check In (SSCI) machine AND you do not print your boarding pass (see below) then you can select another seat there provided check-in is still open, typically up to 46 minutes before take off. So if you are being allocated a rotten seat and you can see better seats available, you can take a risk and complete/commence check-in later.

SSCI machines are available at: LHR, LGW, LCY, MAN, EDI (on the general purpose airport machines, but only those by the BA check-in area), NCE, BRU, OSL, BLL, AAR, MUC, AMS.
    They are NOT available at: ABZ, BHD, GLA, LBA, NCL, DUB, CDG, ORY, SVG, DUS, TXL, MAH, CFU, OLB, CTA, CAG, FDH, ANE, UIP, BIO, HER, SVQ, PMI, BRI.
    You can also do this operation the night before at LGW and LHR, details here.

By "printing boarding pass" we mean not selecting that option at OLCI, or saving, emailing, faxing and/or downloading the boarding pass on the App.
    Print Wikipost

HBO fares - Have to pay to select seat in advance [free for GCH/SCH/BCHs @ 14 Jun 17]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:58 pm

Programs: BA GGL
    Originally Posted by stevehh
    I really can't see many Gold Card holders as regular HBO fare users - sorry I just don't buy that.
    To add to the other comments about this one, I qualify for a CCR through regular long haul flights in J and F, but I also do 50+ domestic sectors every year, many of which are HBO, when a sensibly priced holiday booking (flight and car) isn't available. I suspect mand GCHs are in the same position.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by JimEddie
    If you want to fix the tier qualification just increase the number of BA flights required. Maybe 4 for Bronze, 8 for Silver and 16 for Gold?
    Zero BA flights are required for qualification.That can be done on Iberia.

I have just done the qualifying flights on a cheap IB J fare AMS-MAD-PTY-MAD-AMS.The short haul A320 was rather better than the new cramped BA CE product,and the long haul MAD-PTY was light years ahead.Brand new A330,nice cabin not the BA cramped J experience,and the roast guinea fowl for lunch was delicious.Even 2 different desert wines.

IB was better than BA on the return also.2 sectors is too small a number to make a representative comparison,but it was a good reminder of how cr$p BA has become.This is from someone who regularly gives out golden tickets,so not a serial complainer.

Thankfully Tesco and Kaligo will supply me with sufficiently large quantities of Avios to use RFS for European flights where possible.I am amazed at the gargantuan amounts of Avios that Kaligo are currently giving away.^
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:02 pm

Programs: BA Silver
    Originally Posted by bafan
    I always thought HBO fares were a bad idea and the thin end of a wedge - and this senseless change just reinforces my opinion.

I'm almost tempted to check extra bags from now on just to increase BA's costs, though I guess that will ultimately backfire on all of us.

I'm just wondering what will be next - though I'm not going to dare speculate in case BA gets any more ideas from here...
    I feel inclined to add, as a frequent BA user for more than 20 years, that since HBO fares were introduced widely there have been some bad developments on SH flights.

1. The flights are much more often rammed full than they were.

2. There's much more hassle and malarky with people (often idiots) stuffing the overhead lockers with massive bags (often way over the size limit).

So from this point of view I'm somewhat sympathetic to anything that BA does to choke off the demand for HBO fares.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:03 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
    Originally Posted by Prospero
    BA is playing a risky game here. If EC BCH/SCH/GCHs, who face add-on costs for seat selection, turn their back on HBO fares, then BA will pay airport authorities higher rates of PSC. BA currently gets a discount from LGW and LHR for each HBO ticket sold which offsets the discount passed along to the customer. So with today's announcement BA seems to be engineering a disproportionate amount of bad will for very little gain.

Very poor show BA
    I didn't know that. It makes BA move sound even more counter productive IMHO
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:06 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

I really think that BA HBO fares were primarily aimed at casual non-BAEC flyers - not Gold and Silver card holders.
    In what way were they "targeted"? Name one frequent flier who checks in baggage! This is the ideal frequent flier fare. Even chris1979 has been weaned off the unhealthy habit of checking bags.

Originally Posted by kdhurst380
    In other words, these fares are not targeted towards the status holders, who theoretically don't go looking for the cheapest fare available; they're making a compelling offering to try and take some business off of BA's two biggest thorns in it's side.
    That just suggests BA does not understand its customer base at all. Almost everyone in the Y cabin of a BA plane is under some sort of pressure to choose (or justify) a low fare. It would certainly raise eyebrows if I suggested my £500 fare to IST needed another £15 for checking a bag on my two day visit. Follow the CE pax off the plane and see how many hang around the baggage carousel: the number is usually very few.

Few people will stop flying with BA because of this, people care too much for their shiny cards
    Whose value steadily declines...
    they'll either spend more on the frills included fare
    Will we? I am not really supposed to do that ...

or go to easyJet, and for every one BA status holder that goes to easyJet out of protest, another five easyJet passengers will come to BA because the price is the same/less for more (complimentary booze onboard).
    Interesting analysis. I do enjoy a few pints of beer on the 0700 flight before I pick up my rental car but don't tell anyone I told you that.

Originally Posted by paulwuk
    But these people didn't get to choose a seat before anyway?
    Yes they did, at OLCI.

There's a big difference between some choice and no choice.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:07 pm

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
    And the other thought is that if in fact - as I still suspect - the percentage of HBO flyers that are GCH or SCH is very low, then why did BA bother to make this evidently controversial and, for some, painful change?
    My thought is the exact opposite. If your suspicion was right, then why on earth would BA send such a further negative signal to its most loyal customers by removing an advantage which extremely few would be benefiting from anyway? Why would you bother telling your CCR/GGL/GCH customers they now won't get free seat selections on some flights if it only concerned one or two pax on each plane?
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:08 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
    Originally Posted by CCayley
    Err.. and the fact that EZY only fly out of hell-hole airports like Gatwick and Luton....
    For those based beyond London U2 actually offer direct flights from convenient local airports (MAN and LPL in my case). These are often vastly superior to hell-hole airports like LHR with well run Security inspections, more resilient Ops and vastly superior immigration facilities.

It is often considerably cheaper to buy U2 seats for 2, buy the middle seat as an extra, buy speedy boarding and seat selection (row 1) buy decent onboard food and drinks that you might actually like than even a direct CE (or often Y) flight from LON let alone a connection from MAN.

PP lounges are often superior to any BA outstation lounges and improving versus the BA offering heading the other way.

All in my policy recently is to look at U2 for direct flights and work out the cost relative to BA. Only if BA is significantly cheaper will I consider it.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:13 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think that is exactly the point - those holding status can 'afford' the higher fare, the way I see these fares as previously said is BA accessing a new revenue stream.
    We can also 'afford' to go to the competitors. Suddenly (and I never thought I would say this) Flying Blue doesn't look so bad. Especially once AMS dispenses with all those unnecessary security checks for connecting pax next year.

And the other thought is that if in fact - as I still suspect - the percentage of HBO flyers that are GCH or SCH is very low
    What's your basis for this speculation? What use does a frequent flier have for a checked bag?

Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
    To add to the other comments about this one, I qualify for a CCR through regular long haul flights in J and F, but I also do 50+ domestic sectors every year, many of which are HBO, when a sensibly priced holiday booking (flight and car) isn't available. I suspect mand GCHs are in the same position.
    Not quite those numbers but a similar story for me. +1
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:13 pm
    Suspended

The thing I find particularly galling about this is that HBO fares save BA money off the blocks: those booking them are less likely to use check-in and BA also saves on the cost of fuel for carrying (likely) heavier hold baggage.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
    Smile

Originally Posted by bafan

I'm just wondering what will be next - though I'm not going to dare speculate in case BA gets any more ideas from here...
    Reassessing fares and passing on the difference to people that drop the last sector on ex-eu ?

In all seriousness, I suspect a radical change of BA shorthaul flying, paid lounge access, packages, bundling of options, fast track security, in flight catering, baggage etc.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:24 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
    Are not HBO fares just a huge mistake. Rammed overhead lockers etc. as others have said here, you should pay to put a small suitcase in the cabin rather than the hold ! What is being suggested is like the old BMI tiny fare or the Flybe essentials. I am sure paid catering will be the next step; though could be an improvement in SH Y catering
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:28 pm

Programs: BAEC CCR, BAEC Lifetime GGL, Hilton Hhonors Lifetime Diamond
    Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
    All my domestic flying is on HBO (I get over 5k Tier Points annually from other travel). I expect to have complimentary seat selection when on a HBO fare. I've always thought that Gold / GGL should get a free bag on these fares.

I'm very dissatisfied, whilst it will not significantly impact on me, and think BA should have some reflection and rethink, certainly for GGL / CCR members. I remember when BMI did this with TINY fares but did a rapid U turn for BD*G.

I've emailed GGL with my thoughts tonight
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by visualAd
    Your option now as a status holder (or non status holder) when you buy a ticket is no seat selection until T-24 (that's how I read it) or pay c£20 for a fare that allows you to select a seat.
    How do you read it like that? The email very clearly says you will have to pay for seat selection at T-24. If that's not the case then BA's comms department are completely incompetent, but hoorah if so!
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by allturnleft
    Are not HBO fares just a huge mistake.
    No, they were a great idea: transporting a bag costs money to the airline (a lot) so it could encourage people not to need that service and make ticket prices lower virtually without a cost as the discount on the price was virtually fully paid for by the reduction in costs. Enforcing cabin luggage limits etc is a matter of implementation, but the idea itself made a lot of sense.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:31 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gcuk
    Excellent point. So the real losers in this are status holders.
    Non status holders are also negatively affected since they will no longer be able to choose a seat for free when check-in opens. But it is true that status holders are especially badly affected.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.