Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

HBO fares - Have to pay to select seat in advance [free for GCH/SCH/BCHs @ 14 Jun 17]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 7, 2015, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer

Hand Baggage Only fares (HBO) are available on domestic and EuroTraveller routes. They are offered at a lower price to those able to travel without checked baggage on point to point journeys only - they are not offered with connections, stopovers or with Club Europe. There isn't a special fare bucket for HBO, it's just a discount to all domestic/ET fare buckets, so even expensive flexible tickets offer HBO. The discount varies depending on route. For example, going HBO on LHR-DUB gives a £10 discount; £15 on LHR-PRG; and £20 on LHR-ATH. Online Travel Agents often book into these fares (including building stopovers) and are sometimes less than transparent about the baggage restrictions during the booking process. HBO fares do not earn OnBusiness credits.

BAEC status passengers from Bronze upwards get advance seat choice with these tickets.

How to get seat allocation if HBO and without status:
    - Pay up. You can pay up at OLCI if you don't like the seat. Costs vary from £7 to £21 per sector as a minimum, with differential pricing employed for better seats (e.g. an exit row on LHR-DUB was £23 in June 2017). Usually, but not always, this invalidates the cost saving of HBO. You can also pay up in Manage My Booking (MMB) before OLCI.
    - Cancel OLCI at the "confirm contact details" stage. Go in again and/or later and you may be offered another seat.
    - Corporate travel bookings still offer seating to HBO in some cases. Sometimes this ability is temporary and doesn't stick.
    - Ask check-in or the lounge agent for a better seat, so far this seems to be possible. Lounge agents won't be able to assist where they aren't part of the ground handling for BA (e.g. LBA).
    - If your airport has a Self Service Check In (SSCI) machine AND you do not print your boarding pass (see below) then you can select another seat there provided check-in is still open, typically up to 46 minutes before take off. So if you are being allocated a rotten seat and you can see better seats available, you can take a risk and complete/commence check-in later.

SSCI machines are available at: LHR, LGW, LCY, MAN, EDI (on the general purpose airport machines, but only those by the BA check-in area), NCE, BRU, OSL, BLL, AAR, MUC, AMS.
    They are NOT available at: ABZ, BHD, GLA, LBA, NCL, DUB, CDG, ORY, SVG, DUS, TXL, MAH, CFU, OLB, CTA, CAG, FDH, ANE, UIP, BIO, HER, SVQ, PMI, BRI.
    You can also do this operation the night before at LGW and LHR, details here.

By "printing boarding pass" we mean not selecting that option at OLCI, or saving, emailing, faxing and/or downloading the boarding pass on the App.
    Print Wikipost

HBO fares - Have to pay to select seat in advance [free for GCH/SCH/BCHs @ 14 Jun 17]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2015, 5:00 am

Programs: BA, SQ
    Originally Posted by Vinotraveller
    Why don't they just remove HBO fares altogether? Would keep the frequent flyers booking through corporate travel agents happy and discourage leisure/occasional pax from taking too much into the cabin. Seems much simpler than this nonsense.
    You would think it would be easy, BUT as BA appear to want to take on the LCC market it needs to have a "headline" lowest fare to come out top on the price comparison websites.

I do recall BA want the SH fleet to make a profit on it's own, so it appears that this is the only route to take.
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by gordon0808
    Great idea
    Until you get blacklisted. They're not legally obliged to accept your money as a passenger. You could appear on one of those "pubwatch" posters at airport check-in desks.
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by ppp909
    Until you get blacklisted
    For what? Checking in a bag?

I know BA have lost the plot, but surely ... actually, wait a minute
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 5:12 am

Programs: All Expired... :-(
    Originally Posted by Paralytic
    If I wasn't intending to checkin a bag, I would check in something ridiculous, like a box containing 30KG of stones and a letter addressed to Willie Walsh, and just not pick it up at the other end.
    Erm, leaving a suspicious package behind in an airport will probably get you rendered. Or at least cause you an enormous amount of hassle.
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 5:12 am

Programs: BAEC
    Originally Posted by paulwuk
    ... when I flew to Rio I took hand baggage only
    Did your baby smile at you?
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 5:14 am

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
    Check in a box with one of those coiled boxing gloves in.

Last edited by Lioneye; Mar 3, 2015 at 5:29 am Reason: Photo was too big
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 5:18 am

Programs: BA Silver
    Originally Posted by FrancisA
    Basically if you live in the regions, fly cheapest possible Y and achieve status through POUGs and TP runs, BA doesn't love you any more!
    If you fly from the regions, you don't get offered POUGs.
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 5:19 am

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
    Originally Posted by Dave Noble
    or just pay the fee for a seat assignment
    Again, this shows that some people are getting the wrong of the stick, IMHO.

I couldn't care less about the 10 quid it costs to purchase a seat. What I'm really unhappy about is that BA is removing the convenience of being able to select a seat at any time on any part of the cabin without having to think about the fare that I purchase or having to get my credit card out, paying for it, and, perhaps expense it.

I also am not going to walk to a check-in desk to change my seat assignment every time I'm on BA. It's all about convenience and I think that is the thing that most GCHs value. BA should try to make the lives of people who spend a lot of their time at airports and planes easier and hassle free.

This is the same reason why sometimes I take a bag of crisps or whatever from a lounge - it's not because it's free but because it's convenient.
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 5:57 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lioneye
    Check in a box with one of those coiled boxing gloves in.
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by SCSA
    Did your baby smile at you?
    Your baby has to smile at you BEFORE you go to Rio - the smile's the trigger apparently.
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 6:09 am
    TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
    It is really a pity that LCC's are improving ('new' FR allowing 2 pieces of hand baggage), while BA decided to move in the other direction...

Not the end of the world, though...
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 6:22 am

Programs: ABBA
    Originally Posted by mario
    This is the same reason why sometimes I take a bag of crisps or whatever from a lounge - it's not because it's free but because it's convenient.
    Completely agree. It's all about convienience. Which is why I don't book HbO fares. I feel for people working for companies that don't allow choice, and imo if ba were insistent on being a part full service part lcc, they should have created a new airline and sold codeshare seats on it. but they didn't.

Ba are a poor LCC, and a poor full service carrier. Deal with it
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 6:32 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
    Originally Posted by Vinotraveller
    Why don't they just remove HBO fares altogether? Would keep the frequent flyers booking through corporate travel agents happy and discourage leisure/occasional pax from taking too much into the cabin. Seems much simpler than this nonsense.
    I was wondering that too. But then I remembered that, for all the routes where I have flown in recent years, the HBO fares are the same as the previous full-service fares. So they view the proposition as either more money, or same money for less effort.

But I do think there's a bottom line here that BA has now crossed. Take BA vs SK in the the UK-Scandinavia market. Until now, it was generally thought that SK was scraping the bottom of the barrel, but soon it won't be so straightforward anymore:

Fare - about the same
    Lounges - both have very nice ones at LHR, crappy ones in Scandinavia, a draw
    Food and drink - free on BA, everything charged on SK, still big win for BA
    Free luggage on cheapest fare - big win for SK
    Frequent flier earnings - equal until changes implemented, then big win for SK
    Seat assignments - everybody gets to choose a seat at T-23 on SK, big win for frequent fliers on BA until changes implemented, then big win for SK

I think many fliers, frequent or not, will now reach the point where the SK provision, although stripped bare in so many ways, is now an equal or better proposition to the BA one. Although the FF earnings on discount fares aren't as good on most continental carriers, the balance of the equations are shifting in the same direction. And that's just the other legacy carriers, the LCCs offer lower fares and other things such as free WiFi.

Last edited by Passmethesickbag; Mar 3, 2015 at 6:38 am
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by SCSA
    This post really goes to the divide I see in this forum between people who like to travel as well as they can while achieving the best value possible and those who resent the people who do that.

I see it time and time again with comments about "cheapskates" who take up lounge seats with ex-EU J fares, etc.

As one firmly ensconsed in the first camp, I don't see why how much I pay for my ticket and how much value I try to extract from are is any of your concern.

However, to this point, BA don't market this as a CHEAPSKATE fare. They market it as "Don't need to check a bag? Want to save a tenner?"

If they'd been telling us all along this was the bargain fare and priced it accordingly this would be slightly better received. But they've not done that. They continue to try to position themself as somehow better and classier than EZ while copying their business model.
    I am not in the same camp as you, but I do think that you have somewhat of a point. I have no problem with BA offering choice between a cheapo fare with no perks and a less expensive fare with some perks. It is trying to be all things to all people and why not.

Where you do have a point, and one I did not appreciate when making my earlier comments in the thread, is that HBO fares are not all cheapo fares. Some of them are and charging for seat selection on an £80 rtn fare is fair enough to me, but there are also £380 HBO fares. Not allowing seat selection for those just seems mean to me.
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 6:44 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
    Originally Posted by BOH
    As a shareholder (where the value is the highest for some 15 years) I can see BA getting a alot of extra revenue from this move as I suspect the majority of B, S and G cardholders will now move up a fare notch to be able to select a seat at time of booking or at T-7.

Smart move me thinks......
    BA have made SH travel a commodity with this move with little or no differential from their competitors. I for one will now buy SH on price and convenience and fortunately, I have a choice of Heathrow or Gatwick.
    Taking away my seat choice, coupled with pathetic TP and avios on SH, removes my loyalty. I don't have time for the lounge at Heathrow or Gatwick in the morning and lounges elsewhere are mediocre at best by comparison.

On Easyjet, I can now get two pieces of hand luggage, change my return flight for free and eat in the terminal restaurant with my fare saving.

If Easyjet are really smart, they'll 'status match' BA Gold and Silver card holders with a free Easyjet Plus Pass card, giving free seat selection, 2nd hand luggage and speedy boarding. I predict they'll recoup their lost £149 in no time as BA travellers try them out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.