Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

HBO fares - Have to pay to select seat in advance [free for GCH/SCH/BCHs @ 14 Jun 17]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 7, 2015, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer

Hand Baggage Only fares (HBO) are available on domestic and EuroTraveller routes. They are offered at a lower price to those able to travel without checked baggage on point to point journeys only - they are not offered with connections, stopovers or with Club Europe. There isn't a special fare bucket for HBO, it's just a discount to all domestic/ET fare buckets, so even expensive flexible tickets offer HBO. The discount varies depending on route. For example, going HBO on LHR-DUB gives a £10 discount; £15 on LHR-PRG; and £20 on LHR-ATH. Online Travel Agents often book into these fares (including building stopovers) and are sometimes less than transparent about the baggage restrictions during the booking process. HBO fares do not earn OnBusiness credits.

BAEC status passengers from Bronze upwards get advance seat choice with these tickets.

How to get seat allocation if HBO and without status:
    - Pay up. You can pay up at OLCI if you don't like the seat. Costs vary from £7 to £21 per sector as a minimum, with differential pricing employed for better seats (e.g. an exit row on LHR-DUB was £23 in June 2017). Usually, but not always, this invalidates the cost saving of HBO. You can also pay up in Manage My Booking (MMB) before OLCI.
    - Cancel OLCI at the "confirm contact details" stage. Go in again and/or later and you may be offered another seat.
    - Corporate travel bookings still offer seating to HBO in some cases. Sometimes this ability is temporary and doesn't stick.
    - Ask check-in or the lounge agent for a better seat, so far this seems to be possible. Lounge agents won't be able to assist where they aren't part of the ground handling for BA (e.g. LBA).
    - If your airport has a Self Service Check In (SSCI) machine AND you do not print your boarding pass (see below) then you can select another seat there provided check-in is still open, typically up to 46 minutes before take off. So if you are being allocated a rotten seat and you can see better seats available, you can take a risk and complete/commence check-in later.

SSCI machines are available at: LHR, LGW, LCY, MAN, EDI (on the general purpose airport machines, but only those by the BA check-in area), NCE, BRU, OSL, BLL, AAR, MUC, AMS.
    They are NOT available at: ABZ, BHD, GLA, LBA, NCL, DUB, CDG, ORY, SVG, DUS, TXL, MAH, CFU, OLB, CTA, CAG, FDH, ANE, UIP, BIO, HER, SVQ, PMI, BRI.
    You can also do this operation the night before at LGW and LHR, details here.

By "printing boarding pass" we mean not selecting that option at OLCI, or saving, emailing, faxing and/or downloading the boarding pass on the App.
    Print Wikipost

HBO fares - Have to pay to select seat in advance [free for GCH/SCH/BCHs @ 14 Jun 17]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2015, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by SCSA
    The connection is that BA assume - for the sake of another £10 - you'll go ahead and pay the checked bag fare, viewing it as the cost of seat selection and a £3 option to check a bag if you'd like.

Are they taking away lounge access on HBO as well???
    Taking away the ability to pre-book seats does not allow BA " continue to provide the lowest and most competitive fares". There is no cost to BA in providing this. You could actually say that there is more cost in automating seat selection as you have to deal with all everyone who is unhappy with their seat selection.
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 4:28 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
    I don't understand the correlation either. I can only assume that for every person they have calculated they will lose, they will have people lining up to replace them. I truly don't understand pissing off loyalty in such a blatant way. And I couldn't give a toss whether it is OPM, or yours, or a TP run, mileage run, whatever it is it is a lean towards BA. I just cannot even think about doing something like this to my loyal customers. But perhaps I am from a generation where your word meant something.
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 4:29 am

Programs: BAEC
    Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
    I always thought that HBO was a step too far. In an ideal world, they would remove this fare altogether.

Shiny card holders shouldnt buy "cheapskate" fares and expect bells and whistles imho.
    This post really goes to the divide I see in this forum between people who like to travel as well as they can while achieving the best value possible and those who resent the people who do that.

I see it time and time again with comments about "cheapskates" who take up lounge seats with ex-EU J fares, etc.

As one firmly ensconsed in the first camp, I don't see why how much I pay for my ticket and how much value I try to extract from are is any of your concern.

However, to this point, BA don't market this as a CHEAPSKATE fare. They market it as "Don't need to check a bag? Want to save a tenner?"

If they'd been telling us all along this was the bargain fare and priced it accordingly this would be slightly better received. But they've not done that. They continue to try to position themself as somehow better and classier than EZ while copying their business model.
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 4:29 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
    Originally Posted by DrBernardo
    I still don't buy the connection between "providing the most competitive fares" and seat selection though. Lounge access, catering, airport check-in yes - those things cost money. But choosing a seat doesn't. Forcing people to pay might make them more money, but that's actually a different argument...
    Basically, they are saying that in order to continue to provide the rock bottom price option, it needs to be subsidised by someone, and they've decided that that'll be done by the people who are willing to pay to choose a seat.

However, don't hold your breath waiting for the BA PR department to spell it out like that.....
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 4:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
    Why don't they just remove HBO fares altogether? Would keep the frequent flyers booking through corporate travel agents happy and discourage leisure/occasional pax from taking too much into the cabin. Seems much simpler than this nonsense.
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 4:34 am

Programs: BA Silver
    Originally Posted by scottishpoet
    Nobody is forcing people to buy an HBO ticket
    Wrong. Many employers and/or their corporate TA websites do precisely that.
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 4:37 am

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, DL Platinum
    With respect to corporate TAs we have had to deal with this in the US for a while. Delta offer a really nasty fare called Basic or something that won't let you pay for a seat at all! I think it books into a specific bucket which makes it easier to exclude. BA had better sort something out here - seat selection is one thing but the product is going to be further downgraded we can safely assume.
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 4:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
    Originally Posted by colm
    They seem to have mis-implemented it. They said "For bookings made from 26 March".

I am now being asked to pay seat changes for my HBO to Dublin on 3 April, which I booked last week.

I thought at first it was related to my temporary demotion to Bronze (now reversed). At least it's kept the seat assignments I have.
    I booked today HBO RT ticket to Geneva for Saturday and was able to choose seats no problem. However on outbound flight on A321 I only had choice of seats from 17th row onwards and similar on inbound flight on A320, no seats available at the front of the aircraft.

I will check availability of seats again when the checkin opens.

And yes, I don't like the changes. I will reconsider my travel plans for future and either fly on rewards tickets on SH or other airline if much cheaper. I definitely don't want to end up in middle seat. If system keeps assigning me my usual seat that's fine, as it's usually 7F. I must say that EasyJet was quite comfortable last time I used them, however I have to drive/take train to Gatwick which adds cost. Luton is 1h drive so it's even worse choice for me.

Last edited by Richmond_Surrey; Mar 3, 2015 at 4:44 am
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 4:43 am

Programs: BAEC / Hilton Honors / Accor
    The part I still can't get my head round is the lack of free seat selection once OLCI opens.

Ok so you want to strip away the free advance seat selection but come on BA let us all fight it our for free once OLCI opens.
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 4:48 am

Programs: BA Silver
    If this affected me, and I felt I was now forced to choose a non-HBO fare in order to get the seat pre-selection that my status previously afforded me, I'd look to send a message to BA.

If I wasn't intending to checkin a bag, I would check in something ridiculous, like a box containing 30KG of stones and a letter addressed to Willie Walsh, and just not pick it up at the other end.

I wonder how much money BA would have wasted by such a protest before they took note.
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 4:48 am

Programs: BD (in memoriam), BA
    Originally Posted by FrancisA
    As for corporate travel policies, if you have to travel with checked luggage, are people really saying they have to take an HBO fare?
    The latest iteration of our travel tool offers me both the lowest available fare (HBO), and the equivalent fare with baggage added. And in bright red bold text above those options is the wording

According to the travel policy, the lowest fare has to be selected.

So I'm not physically stopped from booking the non-HBO fare, but the booking will go on the naughty list and I'll need to provide justification for ignoring the policy. And it sounds like this system is better than many.

A lot of the time I need a checked bag, even for a short trip, because I'm carrying cabin-prohibited items. It's a bit tiresome to always get marked as out of policy for this.

By way of comparison, when I book an LCC flight, I select the lowest fare and then it will happily allow me to add an additional service (ie luggage) at extra cost while staying in policy. Now, this could be regarded as bad implementation in the TA's system, or a stupid travel policy, but ultimately that's the difference between "cheap fare + added services" [in policy] and "cheap fare, or more expensive fare with added services included" [out of policy]
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 4:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Sen, Delta Skymiles Gold
    Originally Posted by TGflyergirl
    Actually, my neighbour, whom I'd consider errant and somewhat devious - suggested this:

Check in something worthless (like a pile of old newspapers) every time on a non-HBO and just walk out the airport on arrival, leaving it behind...

I'd have to admit the thought crossed my mind too....
    Great idea
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 4:57 am

Programs: ABBA
    Originally Posted by mario
    Those here who say that GCHs/SCHs would not normally buy HBOs really don't have a clue about what people that travel for work really have to go through.

- if anything, this is the sort of fare that very frequent fliers would buy - do you really think someone who travels 200 segments a year wants to wait 66 hours per year for bags (avg. 200 sectors, 20 minutes on average wait)? Also, a frequent traveler knows that bags make it more difficult to move to a different flight if you are already checked in...
    Well I only flew 144 segments last year, not 200, but I appreciate the ability to leave an airport quickly. I often fly without hold baggage, however that's perfectly allowed on a normal ticket. For example when I flew to Rio I took hand baggage only -- I had equipment in there I needed on the Rio plane and in the lounge in LHR, and had an argument with the cabin crew that I wasn't going to check it (they didn't have fast track boarding, and the usual nofrillsers were probably queuing at the gate while I was eating breakfast at home).

A colleague had 3 bags of stuff with him so we ended up waiting anyway, but I wasn't forced to check a bag because I didn't have a HBO fare.

Perhaps if BA renamed "HBO" to "No Frills", it would be clearer. I wish they would hurry up and get rid of other things like lounge access and priority boarding for these fares. Don't want to pay for luggage? Fine, book a no-frills fare and pay for lounge access. Don't want to pay for lounge access, fine, do the same but pay for a bag. Want a traditional experience? Pay the non-budget-airline fare.

P.S. When is the BA Forum merging with the Budget Airlines forum?
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 4:57 am
    Suspended
    Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by gordon0808
    Great idea
    It really should be check in two piles of old newspapers if you're silver or gold. Bronzes can make do with one.
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 5:00 am

Programs: ABBA
    Originally Posted by Silver Fox
    I don't understand the correlation either. I can only assume that for every person they have calculated they will lose, they will have people lining up to replace them.
    The theory is that people are equally up in arms about changes to flying blue or miles + more, and thus moving to the other side.

The practice is more likely that people will ignore potential frequent flyer benefits and no longer "just book BA" or "just book KLM", and instead fly whatever's cheapest

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.