Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

HBO fares - Have to pay to select seat in advance [free for GCH/SCH/BCHs @ 14 Jun 17]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 7, 2015, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer

Hand Baggage Only fares (HBO) are available on domestic and EuroTraveller routes. They are offered at a lower price to those able to travel without checked baggage on point to point journeys only - they are not offered with connections, stopovers or with Club Europe. There isn't a special fare bucket for HBO, it's just a discount to all domestic/ET fare buckets, so even expensive flexible tickets offer HBO. The discount varies depending on route. For example, going HBO on LHR-DUB gives a £10 discount; £15 on LHR-PRG; and £20 on LHR-ATH. Online Travel Agents often book into these fares (including building stopovers) and are sometimes less than transparent about the baggage restrictions during the booking process. HBO fares do not earn OnBusiness credits.

BAEC status passengers from Bronze upwards get advance seat choice with these tickets.

How to get seat allocation if HBO and without status:
    - Pay up. You can pay up at OLCI if you don't like the seat. Costs vary from £7 to £21 per sector as a minimum, with differential pricing employed for better seats (e.g. an exit row on LHR-DUB was £23 in June 2017). Usually, but not always, this invalidates the cost saving of HBO. You can also pay up in Manage My Booking (MMB) before OLCI.
    - Cancel OLCI at the "confirm contact details" stage. Go in again and/or later and you may be offered another seat.
    - Corporate travel bookings still offer seating to HBO in some cases. Sometimes this ability is temporary and doesn't stick.
    - Ask check-in or the lounge agent for a better seat, so far this seems to be possible. Lounge agents won't be able to assist where they aren't part of the ground handling for BA (e.g. LBA).
    - If your airport has a Self Service Check In (SSCI) machine AND you do not print your boarding pass (see below) then you can select another seat there provided check-in is still open, typically up to 46 minutes before take off. So if you are being allocated a rotten seat and you can see better seats available, you can take a risk and complete/commence check-in later.

SSCI machines are available at: LHR, LGW, LCY, MAN, EDI (on the general purpose airport machines, but only those by the BA check-in area), NCE, BRU, OSL, BLL, AAR, MUC, AMS.
    They are NOT available at: ABZ, BHD, GLA, LBA, NCL, DUB, CDG, ORY, SVG, DUS, TXL, MAH, CFU, OLB, CTA, CAG, FDH, ANE, UIP, BIO, HER, SVQ, PMI, BRI.
    You can also do this operation the night before at LGW and LHR, details here.

By "printing boarding pass" we mean not selecting that option at OLCI, or saving, emailing, faxing and/or downloading the boarding pass on the App.
    Print Wikipost

HBO fares - Have to pay to select seat in advance [free for GCH/SCH/BCHs @ 14 Jun 17]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2015, 6:49 am

Programs: BAEC
    FWIW I've sent an email to BA to register my displeasuee at the erosion of a status benefit for passengers and concern that there may be more to come.

I wait to see what my cut-and-paste reply says.
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 6:50 am
    Suspended
    Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by gcuk
    If Easyjet are really smart, they'll 'status match' BA Gold and Silver card holders with a free Easyjet Plus Pass card, giving free seat selection, 2nd hand luggage and speedy boarding. I predict they'll recoup their lost £149 in no time as BA travellers try them out.
    I'd certainly give them or indeed Ryanair a bash under such conditions.
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 6:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
    Surely the logical thing to do would be to just allow HBO on the (2 or 3?) lowest fare buckets.

So if the flight is available in the cheapest classes then it looks like this where BA123 is available in the cheapest fare class, BA456 in the next one up and BA789 is only available at more expensive classes

Flight HBO Economy Club
    BA 123 £59 £69 £199
    BA 456 £79 £89 £199
    BA 789 n/a £159 £349

Wouldn't that remove most of the issues then with legitimate complaints about this affecting pretty expensive tickets and still keep the low headline price for BA's advertising that this HBO fares were supposed to be about ?
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 6:55 am
    A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TPJ
    Not the end of the world, though...
    As most Flyertalkers don't follow normal practice the reaction seen on here can often be very misleading. The cheaper we get to enjoy all the benefits of status or premium travel the better does seem to be the FT motto.

I wonder what the reaction would have been had they announced the ending of HBO fares altogether?
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
    Originally Posted by HIDDY
    As most Flyertalkers don't follow normal practice the reaction seen on here can often be very misleading. The cheaper we get to enjoy all the benefits of status or premium travel the better does seem to be the FT motto.

I wonder what the reaction would have been had they announced the ending of HBO fares altogether?
    I think there would have been a very vocal reaction but from different people than have a problem with this. This is worse affecting business travellers with cheapest economy policies, removing HBO fares would be a good thing for those of us in that position.
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:17 am

Programs: All Expired... :-(
    Taking away my seat choice, coupled with pathetic TP and avios on SH, removes my loyalty. I don't have time for the lounge at Heathrow or Gatwick in the morning and lounges elsewhere are mediocre at best by comparison.
    I've never cared about the lounges either. For me, the key benefits have always been, priority boarding (to make sure my hand baggage fits, and is close) and seat selection.

On Easyjet, I can now get two pieces of hand luggage, change my return flight for free and eat in the terminal restaurant with my fare saving.
    Changing the return flight to an earlier one really is a killer feature of Easyjet for destinations with enough frequency.

If Easyjet are really smart, they'll 'status match' BA Gold and Silver card holders with a free Easyjet Plus Pass card, giving free seat selection, 2nd hand luggage and speedy boarding. I predict they'll recoup their lost £149 in no time as BA travellers try them out.
    Rather than chasing status, I can get all of the benefits that I want for paying 149 GBP.
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:32 am

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
    Originally Posted by paulwuk
    The theory is that people are equally up in arms about changes to flying blue or miles + more, and thus moving to the other side.

The practice is more likely that people will ignore potential frequent flyer benefits and no longer "just book BA" or "just book KLM", and instead fly whatever's cheapest
    Actually - this is how most people approach flying. What's the cheapest / most convenient. Thats why Easyjet are doing so well, so much so that many don't even think about seeing if BA are cheaper. Doesn't cross their mind.

Would be a bit weird to pay over the odds and go out of your way constantly just to justify a free seat reservation? Surely?
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:34 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.

Originally Posted by RobDBA
    I think there would have been a very vocal reaction but from different people than have a problem with this. This is worse affecting business travellers with cheapest economy policies, removing HBO fares would be a good thing for those of us in that position.
    If BA removed the HBO fares, they would once again be above easyjet with their fare. And those same systems that make you choose the lowest fare, then make you choose easyjet - our corporate booking system has had easyjet included for a while now.

There is another thing with all this clamour about "GCH should not book cheapskate fares". I really fail to see the logic in this - I may be a GCH but that does not mean I have unlimited funds. If we are away for a weekend, and I can save around £15 per segment by booking HBO - why on earth not? For 4 of us that's £120 - gets you a half decent meal in a restaurant.

Perhaps it used to be the case that business class travellers only ever booked business class, and nobody else did. The world is a little more complicated than that now, and people mix and match. Sometimes I buy Tesco Finest, sometimes I buy Tesco basic.
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by ukgooner
    Actually - this is how most people approach flying. What's the cheapest / most convenient.
    Well, BA used to give SCH+ a "bribe" of at least 1000 Avios/sector, presumably to make up for them not typically being cheapest.
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:42 am

In my complaint I said that I was looking at a domestic HBO fare from LCY one-way for £90, with a £7 seat selection fee on top. LCY offers no lounge and no fast track security or boarding and the privilege of waiting on a staircase for 20 minutes because the departure lounges are too small. There are no benefits of GCH status, but it's convenient.

I pointed out that I could book the same flight on FlyBe for £69, pay £15 for the exit row, earn Avios and still come out £12 ahead.

As I ponited out earlier, if they want to offer a HBO fare as a discount carrier equivalent, they need to bloody well price it like a discount carrier fare.
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:42 am

Programs: BAEC CCR, BAEC Lifetime GGL, Hilton Hhonors Lifetime Diamond
    GGL response

Originally Posted by bafan
    FWIW I've sent an email to BA to register my displeasuee at the erosion of a status benefit for passengers and concern that there may be more to come.

I wait to see what my cut-and-paste reply says.
    Here's my reply. Not a cut and paste but interesting anyway

Dear Docgasman

Thank you for your valuable feedback, I have forwarded your email to our customer relations team, they will be in contact with you directly as soon as possible. I have also added your comments to our GGL monthly report, this document is sent to our loyalty team at head office every month, they are best placed to push through changes suggested in your feedback.

I'm sorry that you've been disappointed by the proposed changes to our hand baggage only fares, I hope we can make further changes which will encourage you to continue to fly with us on your short haul trips.

Kind regards
    British Airways Gold Guest List
    Telephone lines open 24 hours daily
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:46 am

However, for the same price as the checked bag fare, I've now decided that I will take a Virgin train in first class. It adds two hours total to my journey, but I don't have to sit around on a Friday waiting for my 20:50 flight, and instead of being crammed into domestic Y i can have a meal and relax in comfort. I also get deposited right in the city centre instead of having to pay for transport from the aiport.

In the end, I'll arrive at my hotel at the same time I would've had I flown.

Again, this is so poorly considered it's shocking.
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by docgasman
    Here's my reply. Not a cut and paste but interesting anyway

Dear Docgasman

Thank you for your valuable feedback, I have forwarded your email to our customer relations team, they will be in contact with you directly as soon as possible. I have also added your comments to our GGL monthly report, this document is sent to our loyalty team at head office every month, they are best placed to push through changes suggested in your feedback.

I'm sorry that you've been disappointed by the proposed changes to our hand baggage only fares, I hope we can make further changes which will encourage you to continue to fly with us on your short haul trips.

Kind regards
    British Airways Gold Guest List
    Telephone lines open 24 hours daily
    Hmmm, so that makes it sound like they might do this, as opposed to they will. Maybe they've already had too much bad feedback.
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by shefgab
    Hmmm, so that makes it sound like they might do this, as opposed to they will.
    It's far more likely to be down to BA's standard level of attention to detail
    Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
    It would have been much better if BA had just introduced a Flight-Only Frill-Free fare from the outset - i.e. no luggage allowance, no lounge, no TPs, no avios, no seat selection, no priority boarding, just the flight irrespective of status. Such an F-OFF fare could perhaps only be available in the bottom fare buckets with an advanced purchase requirement.

That would have pitched them squarely at the LCCs in terms of product offered for no additional cost/annual membership fee.

Those with lowest cost corporate travel policies, who can meet the advance purchase requirements and are unable to find any legitimate reason to purchase a standard fare, could then be offered the chance to upgrade their F-OFF fare to a standard ticket (from their own pocket), just as many seem happy to do with POUGs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.