Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

HBO fares - Have to pay to select seat in advance [free for GCH/SCH/BCHs @ 14 Jun 17]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 7, 2015, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer

Hand Baggage Only fares (HBO) are available on domestic and EuroTraveller routes. They are offered at a lower price to those able to travel without checked baggage on point to point journeys only - they are not offered with connections, stopovers or with Club Europe. There isn't a special fare bucket for HBO, it's just a discount to all domestic/ET fare buckets, so even expensive flexible tickets offer HBO. The discount varies depending on route. For example, going HBO on LHR-DUB gives a £10 discount; £15 on LHR-PRG; and £20 on LHR-ATH. Online Travel Agents often book into these fares (including building stopovers) and are sometimes less than transparent about the baggage restrictions during the booking process. HBO fares do not earn OnBusiness credits.

BAEC status passengers from Bronze upwards get advance seat choice with these tickets.

How to get seat allocation if HBO and without status:
    - Pay up. You can pay up at OLCI if you don't like the seat. Costs vary from £7 to £21 per sector as a minimum, with differential pricing employed for better seats (e.g. an exit row on LHR-DUB was £23 in June 2017). Usually, but not always, this invalidates the cost saving of HBO. You can also pay up in Manage My Booking (MMB) before OLCI.
    - Cancel OLCI at the "confirm contact details" stage. Go in again and/or later and you may be offered another seat.
    - Corporate travel bookings still offer seating to HBO in some cases. Sometimes this ability is temporary and doesn't stick.
    - Ask check-in or the lounge agent for a better seat, so far this seems to be possible. Lounge agents won't be able to assist where they aren't part of the ground handling for BA (e.g. LBA).
    - If your airport has a Self Service Check In (SSCI) machine AND you do not print your boarding pass (see below) then you can select another seat there provided check-in is still open, typically up to 46 minutes before take off. So if you are being allocated a rotten seat and you can see better seats available, you can take a risk and complete/commence check-in later.

SSCI machines are available at: LHR, LGW, LCY, MAN, EDI (on the general purpose airport machines, but only those by the BA check-in area), NCE, BRU, OSL, BLL, AAR, MUC, AMS.
    They are NOT available at: ABZ, BHD, GLA, LBA, NCL, DUB, CDG, ORY, SVG, DUS, TXL, MAH, CFU, OLB, CTA, CAG, FDH, ANE, UIP, BIO, HER, SVQ, PMI, BRI.
    You can also do this operation the night before at LGW and LHR, details here.

By "printing boarding pass" we mean not selecting that option at OLCI, or saving, emailing, faxing and/or downloading the boarding pass on the App.
    Print Wikipost

HBO fares - Have to pay to select seat in advance [free for GCH/SCH/BCHs @ 14 Jun 17]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:22 pm

Programs: ABBA
    Originally Posted by kdhurst380
    Fair statement - but this is only a small proportion of the target audience. The mainstay of passengers that these fares are targeted towards are going to be non status holders.
    But these people didn't get to choose a seat before anyway?
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by gcuk
    Well I'm one. I earn my GGL through long haul Business class. All my short haul is booked on the cheapest economy ticket.
    Ditto.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:25 pm
    amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
    F******g relentless...

You would have thought the last round of 'enhancements' to the executive club bought you a good 3-6 months without any bad news or something else being taken away but here we are again.

I give it 3 months before 'our great value' HBO fares no longer come with an inflight drink and 6 months before its expanded to all non-Fullyflexible economy class tickets.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:28 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
    Originally Posted by paulwuk
    But these people didn't get to choose a seat before anyway?
    Excellent point. So the real losers in this are status holders.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
    Originally Posted by kdhurst380
    Few people will stop flying with BA because of this, people care too much for their shiny cards, they'll either spend more on the frills included fare, or go to easyJet, and for every one BA status holder that goes to easyJet out of protest, another five easyJet passengers will come to BA because the price is the same/less for more (complimentary booze onboard).

It's as if revenue management have actually thought this one through.
    What's the evidence for this? Are the BA prices confirmed as coming down relative to U2 as a result of this change? If not, what incentive does a U2 customer have to move today that they didn't have yesterday?

Originally Posted by stevehh
    I am definitely inclined towards this interpretation.

I really can't see many Gold Card holders as regular HBO fare users - sorry I just don't buy that.
    I buy them all the time. BA may have been intending to target the FR/U2 leisure customer, but the minute they extended HBO from LGW (primarily) leisure routes to large numbers of LHR and LCY routes with heavy business traffic, this was obviously going to happen. Many of the SCH/GCH/GGL people travelled HBO before, they just paid the fare with baggage. Of course they would take the lower fare, and that's before even considering corporate policies that force it.

BA now feel they want/need to rein this in, but taking away something is always worse than never giving it in the first place. However, BA carry other risks with alienating this customer base that LCCs do not - their premium long haul business. This is cumulative rather than related to this specific change and is eloquently summed up by Swanhunter's post:

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
    I was toying with keeping GGL for another year. But do I really want to keep chasing status with an airline that is becoming ever more customer unfriendly? Not really.

In itself this step isn't a big deal. Viewed in the round and in the absence of any coherent strategy BA really are losing the plot.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:33 pm
    Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
    Originally Posted by scottishpoet
    Nobody is forcing people to buy an HBO ticket
    You mean apart from their employers?
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:37 pm

I really can't see many Gold Card holders as regular HBO fare users - sorry I just don't buy that.
    Why?! If you don't need to check a bag why wouldn't you buy an HBO fare?

Of course, this is the problem BA is now trying to address, but they've done it completely the wrong way. What they should have done, as I argued when they expanded HBO to all economy fares, is make all fares exclude baggage and then simply charge a separate fee per bag like the LCCs do.

They were obviously too scared to do that outright, but the alternative dual-fare system they've thrown up is just a complete mess.

Programs: BA Gold
    Originally Posted by dc2447
    It pays to read the rest of the tread before offering such strongly worded opinions.

Many company travel programmes and TAs will enforce booking the lowest fare automatically.

This is going to hit status holders hard.
    I couldn't bring myself to read 20 odd pages of the same sort of moaning, I chose to respond to the thread subject.

It may hit status holders, but ultimately, in BA's eyes, it means they potentially increase their personal expenditure to maintain their status whilst swiping up people who were previously not customers.

I'm sure if it starts losing them money, they will quickly stop it. It may come as bad news to some, but BA are simply moving with the times on this one. They've got serious competition and in terms making short haul profitable, something's got to give.

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
    My employer is an 'inpolicy' type. I will double check tomorrow if that means I am forced onto an HBO fare
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; M&M FT
    Originally Posted by traveller42
    When comparing BA and EasyJet, previously I would have compared the HBO price against the EasyJet price with the addition of the EasyJet minimum seat selection fee. I would take BA even if it was a little more than EasyJet because of the better hand luggage policy on BA, because of lounge access and because of a small amount of brand loyalty after almost 20 years of flying with them.

After this change, I will compare the BA price with hand luggage (i.e. a larger number than before) with the EasyJet price plus the slightly higher seat selection fee needed to trigger the 2nd piece of hand luggage. I expect to take whichever is cheaper. The BA advantage of hand luggage has been addressed by EasyJet. This change kills the small amount of brand loyalty stone dead. Lounge access goes away when I drop out of Silver in a few months.
    This. +1 ^
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:41 pm
    Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

BA is playing a risky game here. If EC BCH/SCH/GCHs, who face add-on costs for seat selection, turn their back on HBO fares, then BA will pay airport authorities higher rates of PSC. BA currently gets a discount from LGW and LHR for each HBO ticket sold which offsets the discount passed along to the customer. So with today's announcement BA seems to be engineering a disproportionate amount of bad will for very little gain.

Very poor show BA
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:43 pm

Programs: BA Silver
    Originally Posted by gcuk
    Excellent point. So the real losers in this are status holders.
    Well it's obvious that BA's aim is to chase status holders away from buying HBO fares.

But of course if it nobs off many major status holders then it might well have an impact on premium cabin revenues. So it's a bit of a gamble.

And the other thought is that if in fact - as I still suspect - the percentage of HBO flyers that are GCH or SCH is very low, then why did BA bother to make this evidently controversial and, for some, painful change?

Last edited by stevehh; Mar 2, 2015 at 1:55 pm
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:43 pm

Programs: BAEC
    I always thought HBO fares were a bad idea and the thin end of a wedge - and this senseless change just reinforces my opinion.

I'm almost tempted to check extra bags from now on just to increase BA's costs, though I guess that will ultimately backfire on all of us.

I'm just wondering what will be next - though I'm not going to dare speculate in case BA gets any more ideas from here...
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold
    Well it's obvious that BA's aim is to chase status holders away from buying HBO fares.

But of course if it nobs off many major status holders then it might well have an impact on premium cabin prevenues. So it's a bit of a gamble.

And the other thought is that if in fact - as I still suspect - the percentage of HBO flyers that are GCH or SCH is very low, then why did BA bother to make this evidently controversial and, for some, painful change.
    I think that is exactly the point - those holding status can 'afford' the higher fare, the way I see these fares as previously said is BA accessing a new revenue stream.

A gamble yes, but I think they've done their homework.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:56 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
    This is really just an introduction of charges for seat selection for status holders without hold luggage.

Your option now as a status holder (or non status holder) when you buy a ticket is no seat selection until T-24 (that's how I read it) or pay c£20 for a fare that allows you to select a seat.

If you are a non status holder you pay the charge twice.

I am not sure BA realise this (or maybe they do), many employers force their employees to buy the cheapest economy fare available which is now the HBO fares for BA. People may still choose them over LCC's if lounges and fast track are more important than seat selection but for someone like me who just turns up 38 mins before take off there is little reason not to choose an alternative.

Not only that, most of the priority pass lounges which I have access to through AMEX have Crawfords biscuits (Yummy!!!), BA have those dodgy looking jars of biscuits most have which have gone soft as no one eats them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.