Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

HBO fares - Have to pay to select seat in advance [free for GCH/SCH/BCHs @ 14 Jun 17]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 7, 2015, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer

Hand Baggage Only fares (HBO) are available on domestic and EuroTraveller routes. They are offered at a lower price to those able to travel without checked baggage on point to point journeys only - they are not offered with connections, stopovers or with Club Europe. There isn't a special fare bucket for HBO, it's just a discount to all domestic/ET fare buckets, so even expensive flexible tickets offer HBO. The discount varies depending on route. For example, going HBO on LHR-DUB gives a £10 discount; £15 on LHR-PRG; and £20 on LHR-ATH. Online Travel Agents often book into these fares (including building stopovers) and are sometimes less than transparent about the baggage restrictions during the booking process. HBO fares do not earn OnBusiness credits.

BAEC status passengers from Bronze upwards get advance seat choice with these tickets.

How to get seat allocation if HBO and without status:
    - Pay up. You can pay up at OLCI if you don't like the seat. Costs vary from £7 to £21 per sector as a minimum, with differential pricing employed for better seats (e.g. an exit row on LHR-DUB was £23 in June 2017). Usually, but not always, this invalidates the cost saving of HBO. You can also pay up in Manage My Booking (MMB) before OLCI.
    - Cancel OLCI at the "confirm contact details" stage. Go in again and/or later and you may be offered another seat.
    - Corporate travel bookings still offer seating to HBO in some cases. Sometimes this ability is temporary and doesn't stick.
    - Ask check-in or the lounge agent for a better seat, so far this seems to be possible. Lounge agents won't be able to assist where they aren't part of the ground handling for BA (e.g. LBA).
    - If your airport has a Self Service Check In (SSCI) machine AND you do not print your boarding pass (see below) then you can select another seat there provided check-in is still open, typically up to 46 minutes before take off. So if you are being allocated a rotten seat and you can see better seats available, you can take a risk and complete/commence check-in later.

SSCI machines are available at: LHR, LGW, LCY, MAN, EDI (on the general purpose airport machines, but only those by the BA check-in area), NCE, BRU, OSL, BLL, AAR, MUC, AMS.
    They are NOT available at: ABZ, BHD, GLA, LBA, NCL, DUB, CDG, ORY, SVG, DUS, TXL, MAH, CFU, OLB, CTA, CAG, FDH, ANE, UIP, BIO, HER, SVQ, PMI, BRI.
    You can also do this operation the night before at LGW and LHR, details here.

By "printing boarding pass" we mean not selecting that option at OLCI, or saving, emailing, faxing and/or downloading the boarding pass on the App.
    Print Wikipost

HBO fares - Have to pay to select seat in advance [free for GCH/SCH/BCHs @ 14 Jun 17]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:36 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
    Originally Posted by stevehh
    I still find this hoohah a bit silly, because status holders - in particular Golds - with all their qualifying flights should have piles of Avios, so why don't they do RFS?
    Err... maybe because they prefer to use their avios to get the occasional long haul trip for their own leisure than to subsidise their domestic or European work travel?

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
    Cos they can't get any availability! Sorry where is the thread that now tells us why and where there are perks within status for BAEC?

Originally Posted by stevehh
    Yes but it is all relative to the non HBO fare which is £10 or £20 more than the HBO fare.

I still find this hoohah a bit silly, because status holders - in particular Golds - with all their qualifying flights should have piles of Avios, so why don't they do RFS?
    Because (probably) in the vast majority of cases - it's not them who are paying for the flights - it's their employer - and since the avios is theirs (again - in most cases!), they won't be spending it!

Obviously there are the leisure golds and the golds who's employers decide that they own the points.

M.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: United 1K, Alaska MVP 75K, HH Diamond
    Originally Posted by Silver Fox
    I was going to say "[email protected]"

In any event, I think its time for a rewritten auto acknowledgement. How about:

"Thank you for contacting British Airways, one of our Customer Service Agents may elect to copy and paste a communication to you at a time of our choosing. In the alternative, should you never hear from us please do not worry, we at British Airways are constantly striving to enhance our products and services so please just watch out for our latest exciting announcement"
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
    I read the thread through and I am surprised that no one has noticed that BA is trying to match what Iberia has already done.

Iberia calls it a BASIC FARE - it's available on many flights, but not on LHR-MAD route. Note HBO fare is also not available on LHR-MAD route...

BASIC fare is available only on lowest economy fares (from what I see) and Gold Iberia Plus CH can still select the seat (as far as I know, never tested it myself).

From the email it's not clear whether BA wants to keep HBO as a cheaper version of any Y fare, or they're going to match it with what IB does.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:40 pm

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
    Immediate effect

Grandmother always used to say God punishes immediately...

While planning another trip to London this month (we go fairly often), I read this rather unfortunate e-mail. Choices were BA or KLM between AMS and LCY. With prices essentially the same and this new 'enhancement' the choice was very, very, very easy. I never though I would actively choose KLM or BA.

They may save a few quid here and there with this policy, but with 6 of us flying they instantly lost almost €1500 in revenue today that went straight to the competition. And I can absolutely say it was down to this policy change. Why would we choose to fly BA so that we have to either pay extra for the 'privilege' of picking a seat or risk being scattered about the cabin, when for essentially the same price we can choose our seats together with the competition?

This is not a really big deal; most won't care as it's just another insult in the insult that is commercial aviation. I won't go into an I-hate-BA-so-much rant while declaring my life's mission to bring the airline down, because I still do like BA (if only for the bizarre horse with the lampshade on its head and the Gattaca lounge).

But any lingering loyalty I once had to BA diminishes even further. Ten years ago we went out of our way to fly BA. Not so much anymore. I will make no effort whatsoever this year to retain my current status...
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:42 pm

Programs: BA Silver
    Originally Posted by MPH1980
    Because (probably) in the vast majority of cases - it's not them who are paying for the flights - it's their employer - and since the avios is theirs (again - in most cases!), they won't be spending it!

Obviously there are the leisure golds and the golds who's employers decide that they own the points.

M.
    Then this is one of the nubs of the debate, because personally I really don't believe the "vast majority" of HBO fare paying flyers are on tickets paid by their employer. And I think overall the number of HBO ticket flyers who are Gold or Silver card holders is very small.

Programs: BA Gold, Flying Blue ivory
    Originally Posted by BA6948
    To which email address can I send such a complaint?
    Apologies. I didn't mean email. My bad. I submitted it through the standard comments and complaints form-

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...m/public/en_gb
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
    Originally Posted by megaloman
    I read the thread through and I am surprised that no one has noticed that BA is trying to match what Iberia has already done.

Iberia calls it a BASIC FARE - it's available on many flights, but not on LHR-MAD route. Note HBO fare is also not available on LHR-MAD route...

BASIC fare is available only on lowest economy fares (from what I see) and Gold Iberia Plus CH can still select the seat (as far as I know, never tested it myself).

From the email it's not clear whether BA wants to keep HBO as a cheaper version of any Y fare, or they're going to match it with what IB does.
    Did you miss post #16 then ?

Mind you, I wouldn't blame you if you did as this will run and run.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:45 pm

Programs: ABBA
    Originally Posted by shorthauldad
    Let's not forget that those wizards in Revenue Management are currently offering 9 ET seats for sale on BA902 tomorrow morning ...

... at 4500 Avios + £17.50 ...

...with free seat selection, and luggage
    Yes, avios availability and flight cost rarely have anything in common on short haul.

Just booking tomorrow morning's trip down to London.

Options
    1) Wilmslow -> Euston, 06:59, arrive 08:54. Leave home 06:35, Office for 09:30 £156 plus £15 taxi = £171.
    2) Manchester -> Heathrow, VS, 0645, arrive 0745, so leave home 06:05, office for 08:40. £102 plus £7 taxi = £109.
    3) MAN-LHR, BA, 06:55, arrive 08:00. Leave home 06:20, office for 09:10. £200 plus £7 taxi = £207
    4) MAN-LHR, BA Avios, 06:55, arrive 08:00. Leave home 06:20, office for 09:10. £17.50 plus £7 taxi = £24.50.

In all cases the tube is about the same cost (zone 1-2 single vs zone 6-2 single)

There's a choice between VS and Avios. I prefer VS on these hops, especially to avoid T5 on the way down. T2 is a joy, and far closer to London, and has twice the tubes, as well as Heathrow Connect. There's no way I'm getting the train though, once a month is too many. Horrendous thing.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:47 pm

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
    Originally Posted by BLHD
    I'm not fancying reading through 20 pages, but do you think this will encourage more Gold Card Holders to use their Avios on RFS?
    the problem there is that some people will only use avios if they are getting the very very maximum value out of them

I have used avios for flights but also for "non flying options" which some would find scandalous because of their value

I pay for my own flights and consider the avios as a good bonus
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by nivsy
    Cos they can't get any availability!
    Sssh! Don't tell anyone, but last-min RFS availability has never been better.

Originally Posted by MPH1980
    Because (probably) in the vast majority of cases - it's not them who are paying for the flights - it's their employer
    Time for some employers to wake up and start buying Avios to book redemption flights then.

Wonder which FTers managed to get a clause saying "only travel on cash fares" in their contract?
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:54 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
    Originally Posted by megaloman

I've got 2 European trips (8 flights) booked in BASIC fare with Iberia this year. As oneworld sapphire (BA Silver) I was able to select seats and I can check in one item of luggage.

So it sounds a damn sight better than HBO bookings from late March.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:59 pm
    Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
    Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
    Originally Posted by shorthauldad
    Sssh! Don't tell anyone, but last-min RFS availability has never been better.

Time for some employers to wake up and start buying Avios to book redemption flights then.

Wonder which FTers managed to get a clause saying "only travel on cash fares" in their contract?
    We already do. Given some of our fixed contracts don't involve expensing the client for travel on an itemized trip basis, we've been doing just that and in CE usually.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold
    I think this is one of BA's cleverer 'enhancements'. The HBO fare is a competitor to the offerings of easyJet & Ryanair, and in my view, a way of swiping up a few easyJet & Ryanair passengers.

In other words, these fares are not targeted towards the status holders, who theoretically don't go looking for the cheapest fare available; they're making a compelling offering to try and take some business off of BA's two biggest thorns in it's side.

Few people will stop flying with BA because of this, people care too much for their shiny cards, they'll either spend more on the frills included fare, or go to easyJet, and for every one BA status holder that goes to easyJet out of protest, another five easyJet passengers will come to BA because the price is the same/less for more (complimentary booze onboard).

It's as if revenue management have actually thought this one through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.