Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

HBO fares - Have to pay to select seat in advance [free for GCH/SCH/BCHs @ 14 Jun 17]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 7, 2015, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer

Hand Baggage Only fares (HBO) are available on domestic and EuroTraveller routes. They are offered at a lower price to those able to travel without checked baggage on point to point journeys only - they are not offered with connections, stopovers or with Club Europe. There isn't a special fare bucket for HBO, it's just a discount to all domestic/ET fare buckets, so even expensive flexible tickets offer HBO. The discount varies depending on route. For example, going HBO on LHR-DUB gives a £10 discount; £15 on LHR-PRG; and £20 on LHR-ATH. Online Travel Agents often book into these fares (including building stopovers) and are sometimes less than transparent about the baggage restrictions during the booking process. HBO fares do not earn OnBusiness credits.

BAEC status passengers from Bronze upwards get advance seat choice with these tickets.

How to get seat allocation if HBO and without status:
    - Pay up. You can pay up at OLCI if you don't like the seat. Costs vary from £7 to £21 per sector as a minimum, with differential pricing employed for better seats (e.g. an exit row on LHR-DUB was £23 in June 2017). Usually, but not always, this invalidates the cost saving of HBO. You can also pay up in Manage My Booking (MMB) before OLCI.
    - Cancel OLCI at the "confirm contact details" stage. Go in again and/or later and you may be offered another seat.
    - Corporate travel bookings still offer seating to HBO in some cases. Sometimes this ability is temporary and doesn't stick.
    - Ask check-in or the lounge agent for a better seat, so far this seems to be possible. Lounge agents won't be able to assist where they aren't part of the ground handling for BA (e.g. LBA).
    - If your airport has a Self Service Check In (SSCI) machine AND you do not print your boarding pass (see below) then you can select another seat there provided check-in is still open, typically up to 46 minutes before take off. So if you are being allocated a rotten seat and you can see better seats available, you can take a risk and complete/commence check-in later.

SSCI machines are available at: LHR, LGW, LCY, MAN, EDI (on the general purpose airport machines, but only those by the BA check-in area), NCE, BRU, OSL, BLL, AAR, MUC, AMS.
    They are NOT available at: ABZ, BHD, GLA, LBA, NCL, DUB, CDG, ORY, SVG, DUS, TXL, MAH, CFU, OLB, CTA, CAG, FDH, ANE, UIP, BIO, HER, SVQ, PMI, BRI.
    You can also do this operation the night before at LGW and LHR, details here.

By "printing boarding pass" we mean not selecting that option at OLCI, or saving, emailing, faxing and/or downloading the boarding pass on the App.
    Print Wikipost

HBO fares - Have to pay to select seat in advance [free for GCH/SCH/BCHs @ 14 Jun 17]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:46 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, AZ, VS, AA, UA
    Originally Posted by Gaza
    But not everyone lives on the M4 corridor.

I agree that there is limited choice out of LHR on domestic but there is still choice to other euro destinations.
    True on both points - but LHR is still the airport of choice for many (if not most) travellers in the south-east. It's arguably the quickest to get to from central London, especially with HEX, and other than LCY, the rest are a bit/much further.

I live in semi-rural west Oxfordshire and even for me, LHR is still #1 choice - it's a 60-75 minute drive. Next up in order are BRS (yuck, both for the journey there and the experience once there) BHX (which I like but route network is poor) and SOU. I'm certainly not going to drive to any other London airport if I have a choice. I think many other people are in the same boat.

Originally Posted by Gaza
    My main point is there are still people who will blindly fly EDI-LHR or GLA-LHR rather than use U2 or FR to STN or U2 to LGW. There will also be others who will travel to LHR just to fly with BA when they could reach STN or LGW in much the same time.
    Indeed there are, and were I in that position, I would be considering my options... although as I am c-w-s' worst nightmare and always, always check a bag unless it's a day trip (which I almost never do) I'm unaffected. I can understand the ire of those who are though, especially given you can pay a LOT for a HBO fare.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
    Not impressed one bit - two fingers for loyalty to BA and their customers
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
    Originally Posted by chongcao
    22nd Feb LGW-NCE BA2622 (might remembered the flight number wrong). Total passenger count: 18-ish, none in Business class, according to my eye witness and counting...

On the same day the easyjet flight LGW-NCE, almost full, according to the passengers I met later (shared a table on a cruise).

8:50 LHR departure on the same day to NCE, passenger count: 44-ish, according to a relative travelling on that flight.
    If those figures are what you saw with your own eyes, then far be it from me to doubt it. However, from my experience as a frequent flyer on this route, including the first flights of the day in winter, I have never ever seen flights with that few passengers and certainly never an empty CE cabin.

Both LGW and LHR flights to NCE often have 10 or more rows of CE completely full at all times of the year.

NCE must be one of BA's most profitable SH destinations as is demonstrated by the large number of flights and the fact that BA flies there from all three of its London bases.

I wouldn't read much into one (atypical) day. One swallow doesn't make a summer ...
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:51 am

Programs: All Expired... :-(
    Originally Posted by stevehh
    Well if it's not a question of saving money they can just buy a regular discount economy fare without checking in a bag. And then they can choose their seat.
    But then their corporate travel agent would book the HBO fare unless they could justify the need for checked luggage on a three-day business trip?
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:51 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
    As I said in the EC Devaluation thread- loyalty goes both ways. This is a further reason for me to not concern myself with who I fly. The race to the bottom continues. I have lost all faith in BA, regretably they are no longer worth any effort to fly with, even as a currently "valued Silver".

I feel BA will continue to take the p**s until their profits are effected, apparently being the most profitable of the EU three is not enough. By American standards, BA is a true LCC with this introduction on EU short-haul.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:53 am

Programs: BA (Gold)
    Just when I was coming to terms with the last email.
    I am surprised free seat selection at time of booking will not be kept as a perk for golds though. Shame Little Red are pulling the plug. Ideal time to pinch more custom, along with the LCC.

Our only hope is for everyone to write in about this most recent and quite shocking change. I doubt it will do much good, but then, we never know.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
    But I don't see it as the worst thing BA has done of late.
    I agree - but when the recent enhancements to BAEC (with almost certainly more to follow) are amalgamated, even the most staunch BA loyalist must be dismayed at best.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:01 am
    NFI

Programs: BA Executive Club, Emirates Skywards
    Doesn't really affect me as a good 95% of the times I'm not on HBO, but is pretty annoying see they are offering less and less to their frequent flyers...what will come next...?
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:03 am
    A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ppp909

What they should have done is introduce no-baggage fares, where you can only take on a handbag or other bag that will fit under the seat in front.
    Yes that would have worked a treat for point to point ET customers who travel light....not so good for those back to back ex EU positioning flights though.

Are HBO fares available for those connecting on the same ticket? If not then this doesn't concern them.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:03 am

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
    It's definitely time we formed a passengers' pressure group.

We could name it British Airways Suffering Travellers And Really Distressed Society.

I'll get some placards printed up.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:04 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
    Originally Posted by passy777
    I agree - but when the recent enhancements to BAEC (with almost certainly more to follow) are amalgamated, even the most staunch BA loyalist must be dismayed at best.
    Dissuaded even. I am/was a staunch BA loyalist- with these changes, not any longer. The sad but inevitable truth is I feel I am not getting value for money when I fly BA (especially now for SH) when compared to other airlines. BA have confused value for money with cheap fares. That is where they have gone wrong.

And this effects people at the top of the BAEC. CWS, who I belive is a regular user of HBO fares, will now have this devaluation to deal with as well. It is making their most loyal customers question their rational for having a loyalty to a company that gives less and less loyalty back, I'm sure.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
    This move is clearly to raise revenue and make people pay for exit rows and front row on domestic flights. I expect it's just a start for more revenue raising.

On a separate note (but kind of related) I was told in October at LGW that AUP are not eligible for HBO fares. Is this something that FT posters are aware of?
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:05 am

Programs: BA (Gold)
    Easyjet must be rubbing their hands. Ideal time for them to offer a status holder with BA a discount on their buy status scheme to allow free seat selection with their fares. And oh yes, a much lower credit card fee to show up BA again. An unlimited priority pass for the year and easyjets scheme for under £400. Not bad considering.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
    Originally Posted by Dicksbits
    On a separate note (but kind of related) I was told in October at LGW that AUP are not eligible for HBO fares. Is this something that FT posters are aware of?
    This came up on here towards the end of last year and there did seem to be a policy change whereby HBO fares were no longer eligible for AUPs.

POUGs were still offered and many posted confirming this. (Who knows if that will change too?)
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:10 am

Programs: BAEC
    Originally Posted by NFI
    Doesn't really affect me as a good 95% of the times I'm not on HBO, but is pretty annoying see they are offering less and less to their frequent flyers...what will come next...?
    Take your pick....

No lounge access for Domestic or HBO fare?
    Reduced or no lounge access for guests on above?
    No free on-board food and drink for above (or even S/H)?
    Paying for first or second checked bag?
    Paying for seat selection on further select fare buckets and redemptions (regardless of status?)
    Increase in TPs required for Silver and Gold qualification?
    Reduction in TPs earned of other carriers (210 US domestic F anomaly?)

Of course, it may be none of these but I would no longer be surprised by anything BA does....especially to the BAEC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.