Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

HBO fares - Have to pay to select seat in advance [free for GCH/SCH/BCHs @ 14 Jun 17]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 7, 2015, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer

Hand Baggage Only fares (HBO) are available on domestic and EuroTraveller routes. They are offered at a lower price to those able to travel without checked baggage on point to point journeys only - they are not offered with connections, stopovers or with Club Europe. There isn't a special fare bucket for HBO, it's just a discount to all domestic/ET fare buckets, so even expensive flexible tickets offer HBO. The discount varies depending on route. For example, going HBO on LHR-DUB gives a £10 discount; £15 on LHR-PRG; and £20 on LHR-ATH. Online Travel Agents often book into these fares (including building stopovers) and are sometimes less than transparent about the baggage restrictions during the booking process. HBO fares do not earn OnBusiness credits.

BAEC status passengers from Bronze upwards get advance seat choice with these tickets.

How to get seat allocation if HBO and without status:
    - Pay up. You can pay up at OLCI if you don't like the seat. Costs vary from £7 to £21 per sector as a minimum, with differential pricing employed for better seats (e.g. an exit row on LHR-DUB was £23 in June 2017). Usually, but not always, this invalidates the cost saving of HBO. You can also pay up in Manage My Booking (MMB) before OLCI.
    - Cancel OLCI at the "confirm contact details" stage. Go in again and/or later and you may be offered another seat.
    - Corporate travel bookings still offer seating to HBO in some cases. Sometimes this ability is temporary and doesn't stick.
    - Ask check-in or the lounge agent for a better seat, so far this seems to be possible. Lounge agents won't be able to assist where they aren't part of the ground handling for BA (e.g. LBA).
    - If your airport has a Self Service Check In (SSCI) machine AND you do not print your boarding pass (see below) then you can select another seat there provided check-in is still open, typically up to 46 minutes before take off. So if you are being allocated a rotten seat and you can see better seats available, you can take a risk and complete/commence check-in later.

SSCI machines are available at: LHR, LGW, LCY, MAN, EDI (on the general purpose airport machines, but only those by the BA check-in area), NCE, BRU, OSL, BLL, AAR, MUC, AMS.
    They are NOT available at: ABZ, BHD, GLA, LBA, NCL, DUB, CDG, ORY, SVG, DUS, TXL, MAH, CFU, OLB, CTA, CAG, FDH, ANE, UIP, BIO, HER, SVQ, PMI, BRI.
    You can also do this operation the night before at LGW and LHR, details here.

By "printing boarding pass" we mean not selecting that option at OLCI, or saving, emailing, faxing and/or downloading the boarding pass on the App.
    Print Wikipost

HBO fares - Have to pay to select seat in advance [free for GCH/SCH/BCHs @ 14 Jun 17]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:31 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, AZ, VS, AA, UA
    Originally Posted by binman
    Its the prospect of getting the middle seats three rows from the back that is a genuine issue. At some European entry points there is a very real prospect that bags could be being collected off belts by some non status passengers before HBO passengers clear immigration.
    What, like LHR T5 you mean?

Programs: BA Silver
    Originally Posted by shorthauldad
    Why?
    For me one of the most important SC privileges is the extended baggage allowance and the 32kgs heavy bag waiver. So I - perhaps falsely - assumed that Silver and Gold card holders were more likely to use hold baggage, and thus less likely to be major HBO fare users.

Programs: BAEC
    Another negative to this is that if you don't like the seat you're assigned at T-24, what choice of seats will there be to pay to change to? If the whole plane is pre-assigned at T-24, at T-23:59:59 there'll be hardly anything left (or no choice at all if the flight is full). Why pay to change from 22E to 21B?

I would suggest everyone commenting here also send them an email. I just did
    I did too

Programs: All Expired... :-(
    Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
    Because of the slightly odd reference to baggage sizes, this email smacks to me of someone in BA management saying "do something - anything - about baggage overloading on these flights".
    I think they care very little about baggage overloading, and this is just an attempt to increase revenue from HBO passengers.

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
    From what I can make out some corporate travel websites automatically put people into HBO on BA.
    That's why this seems so crazy - a lot of corporate travel policies will mean they have an obligation to chose the lowest price fare, so by offering HBO fares in the first place, they seem to have shot themselves in the foot.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:32 am
    Original Poster

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
    There are alternatives but not at LHR where capacity restraints are strangling competition.....This is what is allowing BA to do this ....they have no competition from Easy Jet or Ryanair at LHR and what competition there is is other legacy carriers offering transport to single destination (countries or city pairs)

STN GLA is great but not if you are 30 west of LHR on the M4. It is unlikely that you would choose to travel to STN for such a journey and similarly if you live near STN then it is unlikely that you would choose LHR for almost any European flight.

BA needs to face real competition and the barriers to entry at LHR need to eased either via a 3rd runway or a Boris Island.
    But not everyone lives on the M4 corridor.

I agree that there is limited choice out of LHR on domestic but there is still choice to other euro destinations.

My main point is there are still people who will blindly fly EDI-LHR or GLA-LHR rather than use U2 or FR to STN or U2 to LGW. There will also be others who will travel to LHR just to fly with BA when they could reach STN or LGW in much the same time.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
    Originally Posted by Ldnn1
    Do you have evidence to support this? That the average fare available on a particular BA route including baggage has not increased in price? I'd like to see these figures.
    Poor phrasing on my part. The point that I was making is that BA did not increase standard with-luggage Y fares when they introduced the HBO discount.

I can also see no evidence that BA subsequently increased its Y fares disproportionately to make up for the HBO discount. If it had, (a) it would have been discussed at length on here, and (b) it would have been commercial suicide to increase fares at a greater rate than the competition.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:35 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
    Originally Posted by Cerebrito

If BA don't allow this, then this would make their offering worse than EasyJet for a frequent flyer. At least once you've paid £180 for EasyJet+ you get priority boarding and the chance to chose your seat for all flights at the time of booking.
    Easyjet plus? Try £149, and if you go to Raffles' site you can get a discount code off that too
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:35 am

Programs: All Expired... :-(
    Originally Posted by stevehh
    I must confess I also am somewhat surprised at the number of GCHs and SCHs that appear to be heavy HBO fare users.
    You can get Silver through 50 flights. So people who are flying S/H all the time for work, Monday-Friday will probably travel HBO, not to save money, but to save time when getting off the plane.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, FB Gold
    I would suggest everyone commenting here also send them an email. I just did.

It would perhaps have been a bit more palatable if the allocation had been transparent with guarantees that Gold and silvers would be seated as far forwrad as possible and in windows or aisles.

Its the prospect of getting the middle seats three rows from the back that is a genuine issue. At some European entry points there is a very real prospect that bags could be being collected off belts by some non status passengers before HBO passengers clear immigration.

So, what's the best address to send e-mail to, for maximum effect?
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:39 am
    Suspended

Originally Posted by Tim1975
    The hard reality is that with load factors approaching 90% BA can afford to risk the loyalty of its customers to a certain extent.
    22nd Feb LGW-NCE BA2622 (might remembered the flight number wrong). Total passenger count: 18-ish, none in Business class, according to my eye witness and counting...

On the same day the easyjet flight LGW-NCE, almost full, according to the passengers I met later (shared a table on a cruise).

8:50 LHR departure on the same day to NCE, passenger count: 44-ish, according to a relative travelling on that flight.

To buy a regular ticket is fine, as long as the price is great. The problem is BA may start to raise the differences between the regular ticket and HBO fares. Currently at £15/€20 per sector difference for the same fare bucket, you can not bet on BA not to up the ante and soon or later you may find the difference is greater than £30/€50 is the market can absorb it.

With HBO not able to select seats for free any more, BA will, in some time of future, promote its regular priced ticket for 'including free baggage, free seats selection, free drinks' etc. to widen the price difference between HBO and regular ticket. Just watch, the fare difference between the HBO and regular ticket in the same fare bucket will raise to £20/€25 and then £25/€30 very soon, if BA gets its own way.

Fair enough if you are prepared to pay. But I don't see any point if that happens. I can fly Ryanair for £19.99 one way including credit card charge, while you are welcome to pay £20 or even £50 for your bag to fly with you on BA, did I mention there is £5 credit card charge per ticket on BA you have not counted yet.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:40 am

You can get Silver through 50 flights. So people who are flying S/H all the time for work, Monday-Friday will probably travel HBO, not to save money, but to save time when getting off the plane.
    Well if it's not a question of saving money they can just buy a regular discount economy fare without checking in a bag. And then they can choose their seat.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by stevehh
    For me one of the most important SC privileges is the extended baggage allowance and the 32kgs heavy bag waiver. So I - perhaps falsely - assumed that Silver and Gold card holders were more likely to use hold baggage, and thus less likely to be major HBO fare users.
    Yes I think that's a false assumption. Status holders will inevitably be heavy HBO users because:

(a) they tend to go on shorter trips (e.g. day trips) than occasional holiday-makers

(b) they know more and care more about minimising travel hassle, and HBO is a key factor in doing so

What I don't understand is how this is going to save any money. The problem is the bags in the cabin, not people choosing their seats.

What they should have done is introduce no-baggage fares, where you can only take on a handbag or other bag that will fit under the seat in front. These would effectively replace HBO fares as the lowest cost. Knock HBO fares up by a tenner and leave standard fares the way they are.

That way, those business people travelling for a day would see no change. Those with a small overnight bag would see an extra £20 for a return, which would come out of expenses anyway. Those checking in bags would see no change.
    The leisure traveller would see an extra £20 which they would take into account when comparing BA with the competition. The more astute would pick and choose if flying with a family.

Everyone would keep their perks and BA would make a little extra dosh.
    As for the number of bags in the overheads, that will only be fixed by actually enforcing the policy.

And they still can do that. You don't have to take a bag on a non-HBO fare

As I see it, those HBO FFers had a lucky break for the last year where they benefitted from lower fares than previously. Now they have a choice about continuing to benefit from a small saving but at the additional cost of no seat selection, or reverting to a non-HBO fare as before.

I'm not trying to defend this change - I don't like it much at all. But I don't see it as the worst thing BA has done of late.
    Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
    Yes I think that's a false assumption. Status holders will inevitably be heavy HBO users because:

(a) they tend to go on shorter trips (e.g. day trips) than occasional holiday-makers

(b) they know more and care more about minimising travel hassle, and HBO is a key factor in doing so
    But of course you can travel without checked baggage without having to specifically purchase an HBO cheap ticket...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.