Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Galleries First (Flounge) LHR: Dining menu and food options 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 18, 2014, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread is archived - there is a Galleries First (Flounge) LHR 2015 menu thread here.

This thread gives the current catering options for the Galleries First Lounge (Flounge) in LHR Terminals 3 and 5. This lounge is open to BAEC Gold and oneworld Emerald card holders. Passengers flying BA on a First ticket can also use the Concorde Room. The catering supplier was changed on 2 May 2013 to BaxterStorey. Click here to see the former thread, which covered that turbulent period.

The current catering options in the First lounge can be found in the first post in the thread, or you can click here.

Catering options - other LHR lounges
Concorde Room (CCR) LHR : menus 2014 - T5 only
Galleries Club lounges LHR: Dining menu and food options from 2013 (n.b. no separate 2014 thread) - T3 and T5
International Lounge Terminal 1 LHR - catering options from May 2013 (n.b. no separate 2014 thread) - T1 international flights

For the First and Club lounges in Gatwick and the UK domestic lounges in Newcastle, Manchester, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Belfast, Leeds, and Aberdeen:
First Lounge London Gatwick (North terminal): Catering options from April 2013 (n.b. no separate 2014 thread) - see post 2 for the text of BA's leaflet on the supplier changeover
Galleries Club Lounge Gatwick (North Terminal): Catering options from April 2013 (n.b. no separate 2014 thread)
UK Domestic lounges (outside London) - catering arrangments from April 2013 (n.b. no separate 2014 thread)

For information on the BaxterStorey changeover in 2013:
New lounge catering contract : BaxterStorey replaces Compass - effective 1 May 2013
Your recent feedback on catering in our lounges - note from BA Executive Club.

BA Champagne & Wine Thread
The 2014 BA Champagne & Wine Thread - covers LHR & LGW lounges and in the air

Archived food & drink threads:
Concorde Room (CCR) LHR : menus 2013 - T5 only
Galleries First (Flounge) LHR: Dining menu and food options 2013 - T3 and T5
The 2013 BA Champagne & Wine Thread - covers LHR & LGW lounges and in the air
Print Wikipost

Galleries First (Flounge) LHR: Dining menu and food options 2014

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2014, 11:29 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Maybe they use different dish types? I have defnitely only had it in the plastic dish (and very light it was) when I ordered it in GF. I will admit that I would have much preferred heavy cast iron.
OK, so maybe I wasn't going mad after all?!

tb
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:28 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by trueblu
OK, so maybe I wasn't going mad after all?!

tb
Perhaps you actually did get a microwave meal!
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Perhaps you actually did get a microwave meal!
It is certainly what my mac 'n cheese have felt like so far unfortunately. The top was not properly grilled as you would in a normal oven but more melted, which sort of kills the point IMHO.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 6:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by orbitmic
It is certainly what my mac 'n cheese have felt like so far unfortunately. The top was not properly grilled as you would in a normal oven but more melted, which sort of kills the point IMHO.
Exactly, I had it in the metal dish and it was really gloopy, not how I like mac n cheese.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 7:25 am

I know this is the LHR thread but since the discussion is mac 'n cheese I thought I'd mention the "food" that was served to me a month ago at LGW GF.

I'd read decent reports of the mac 'n cheese on here so was quite looking forward to it but what turned up was just weird. No "top", either cheese or crumb so I suspect very much that it came from a big cauldron of homogenous slop. The taste was bizarre, very synthetic. I will have to try the LHR version to compare but I suspect LGW must be getting a second tier variation.....

It did however come in a cast iron dish!
Old Aug 19, 2014, 7:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
The catering facilities at LGW are very limited - you can see the kitchen on your left when you go to the toilets. There is another thread for discussing the catering in the LGW GF, the link is in the wiki.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 8:04 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by bja200
I know this is the LHR thread but since the discussion is mac 'n cheese I thought I'd mention the "food" that was served to me a month ago at LGW GF.

I'd read decent reports of the mac 'n cheese on here so was quite looking forward to it but what turned up was just weird. No "top", either cheese or crumb so I suspect very much that it came from a big cauldron of homogenous slop. The taste was bizarre, very synthetic. I will have to try the LHR version to compare but I suspect LGW must be getting a second tier variation.....

It did however come in a cast iron dish!
Other than the cast iron dish (!), sounds just like the dish I was served. Gloop in the best sense of the word, and just didn't taste right. I'm usually in the 'finish your food' camp, and although it might have been technically possible to do so, I much preferred to have a second scone with clotted cream so gave up after a few mouthfuls.

tb
Old Aug 20, 2014, 1:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond
I had the mac n cheese last week in T5 and it was gloop. Same as the T3 variant the week previous.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
I wonder if the CCR and Flounge version is different? Then again peoples tastes vary and what might be crap to one may be delicious to someone else.

I mean some people will even drink Monopole!
Old Aug 20, 2014, 1:56 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by layz
I wonder if the CCR and Flounge version is different? Then again peoples tastes vary and what might be crap to one may be delicious to someone else...
There isn't a CCR version, it's not on the CCR menu. I quite like it, It is a little gloopy, yes but tasty. It is rather rich too, only had it twice though ... since the risotto was taken off the menu.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by layz
I wonder if the CCR and Flounge version is different?
I wondered that too as most of the people who sing the praise of the Mac 'n cheese seem to be CCR regulars while several of the rest of us who are GF regulars seem to be rather underwhelmed.

So my suspicion would be that the kitchen might keep proper cast iron dishes for CCR orders and use a proper oven while god knows what happens to our GF version.

Still, of course, even in the CCR, it would be interesting to compare the BA CCR Mac 'n cheese to the AF F lounge "gratin de coquillettes au comte et a la truffe" by Ducasse which has some very enthusiastic fans.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I'll stick to the burger, thank you. And I shall be quite put out if I'm asked how I want it cooked.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 5:42 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Silver, Thameslink Delay Repay
To clear up the confusion, this is the Mac&Cheese in its natural habitat, the cast iron dish. Note the sauciness () and absence of crust.

Old Aug 21, 2014, 6:37 am

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D257 Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by stifle
I'll stick to the burger, thank you. And I shall be quite put out if I'm asked how I want it cooked.
I think there's only one default cooking option for the burger: "Ice hockey puck".

Normally I'd be very happy to be asked what way I'd like my burger, but to do that I'd need to be happy with the provenance of the meat, competence of the kitchen and the hygiene standards of the restaurant. GF fails all 3 sadly.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 6:43 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D257 Safari/9537.53)

I think there's only one default cooking option for the burger: "Ice hockey puck".

Normally I'd be very happy to be asked what way I'd like my burger, but to do that I'd need to be happy with the provenance of the meat, competence of the kitchen and the hygiene standards of the restaurant. GF fails all 3 sadly.
I enjoyed the burger when I had it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.