Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Galleries First (Flounge) LHR: Dining menu and food options 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 18, 2014, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread is archived - there is a Galleries First (Flounge) LHR 2015 menu thread here.

This thread gives the current catering options for the Galleries First Lounge (Flounge) in LHR Terminals 3 and 5. This lounge is open to BAEC Gold and oneworld Emerald card holders. Passengers flying BA on a First ticket can also use the Concorde Room. The catering supplier was changed on 2 May 2013 to BaxterStorey. Click here to see the former thread, which covered that turbulent period.

The current catering options in the First lounge can be found in the first post in the thread, or you can click here.

Catering options - other LHR lounges
Concorde Room (CCR) LHR : menus 2014 - T5 only
Galleries Club lounges LHR: Dining menu and food options from 2013 (n.b. no separate 2014 thread) - T3 and T5
International Lounge Terminal 1 LHR - catering options from May 2013 (n.b. no separate 2014 thread) - T1 international flights

For the First and Club lounges in Gatwick and the UK domestic lounges in Newcastle, Manchester, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Belfast, Leeds, and Aberdeen:
First Lounge London Gatwick (North terminal): Catering options from April 2013 (n.b. no separate 2014 thread) - see post 2 for the text of BA's leaflet on the supplier changeover
Galleries Club Lounge Gatwick (North Terminal): Catering options from April 2013 (n.b. no separate 2014 thread)
UK Domestic lounges (outside London) - catering arrangments from April 2013 (n.b. no separate 2014 thread)

For information on the BaxterStorey changeover in 2013:
New lounge catering contract : BaxterStorey replaces Compass - effective 1 May 2013
Your recent feedback on catering in our lounges - note from BA Executive Club.

BA Champagne & Wine Thread
The 2014 BA Champagne & Wine Thread - covers LHR & LGW lounges and in the air

Archived food & drink threads:
Concorde Room (CCR) LHR : menus 2013 - T5 only
Galleries First (Flounge) LHR: Dining menu and food options 2013 - T3 and T5
The 2013 BA Champagne & Wine Thread - covers LHR & LGW lounges and in the air
Print Wikipost

Galleries First (Flounge) LHR: Dining menu and food options 2014

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2014, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Ah, well it's good that you spotted without presumably being prompted by the kerfuffles in various previous threads. Indeed there was a new menu rolled out about 10 days ago, and the details are here (menu in post 1, commentary towards the end):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ns-2014-a.html

The "Honey roasted bacon loin with parsley cream" has been extremely successful. The beef is English (if cattle have nationality) but the breed is indeed Aberdeen Angus. Did you note what hot pie there was on offer?

... silly me... it was a morning flight and breakfast time yesterday. Pie was mushroom and something this evening

Thumbs up from this northerner anyway
Old Nov 2, 2014, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
The pig product is definitely nice. I was there on Friday and it was the mushroom pie then too (as I predicted, as I don't like cooked mushrooms it'll always be there when I travel ). I didn't notice any beef on the buffet but the new burger was nice.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 4:30 pm

Mushroom and spinach

Did you note what hot pie there was on offer?
I'm pretty sure that the hot pie was labelled as mushroom and spinach.

Last edited by abitwild; Nov 2, 2014 at 4:38 pm
Old Nov 3, 2014, 2:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Mushroom pie yesterday.

The new thick Christmas style ham is delicious. Worth a try.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 3:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
Here are some photos of the new burger (and yes it is the same as the CCR burger and the more observant may have worked out this was served in CCR with a linen serviette).

I won't put any tasting notes just yet, other than that I would be happy for SFO777 to be let loose at this burger.
That looks like a significant improvement on the older burger product. I'd be inclined to give it a go.

I had something (Club sandwich, I think) with chips on a rare visit to the CCR earlier this year, and I'm guessing the chips are pre-prepared and blanched offsite, then cooked off in a combi-oven?

I found them unevenly crisped and a bit too "boiled potatoey" in the middle, sort of waxy, and a touch underdone, if you see what I mean. Not particularly nice.

Thinning the chips down a little will almost certainly improve how even they crisp and increase the level of done-ness in the centre.

Looks like my flying could be about to experience an up-tick following a change in the day job, so regular visits to the GF lounge may yet be in reach this year.

Thanks,
Mike
Old Nov 3, 2014, 4:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by abitwild
I'm pretty sure that the hot pie was labelled as mushroom and spinach.
Yes that's right I was in the there on Friday evening and had one. Pretty good it was too, I was highly confused!
Old Nov 4, 2014, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by peck
Yes that's right I was in the there on Friday evening and had one. Pretty good it was too, I was highly confused!
It looks like the pies are rotating periodically. Toms Pies also do steak pies so I hope they put in an appearance at some point. It would be good to have a pie watch thread here
Old Nov 6, 2014, 12:14 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Minor updates to post 1 to cover desserts and hot buffet alternatives.

For the benefit of Blindy, the waiter order desserts are:

Ice creams:
Chocolate Ice Cream
Vanilla Ice Cream
Mango & Lime Sorbet
Gin & Tonic Sorbet
Old Nov 21, 2014, 11:38 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
I have just had the 'pleasure' of dinner in the Flounge tonight and I was disappointed. I tried the 'new and improved' burger and whilst it looked the part, it tasted very bland and slightly rubbery. The chips with it were cold!

I left most of that and thought I would try the buffet for research purposes. I personally think it looks like it is drifting back to the old days of slop - the dishes certainly look cheap canteen-like. HOwever, the chilli and rice was OK, the tangine looked bland but actually was actually the best tasting dish. I like the salad bar - a good variety and it looks very appetising.

I know folks critise a lot and I want to add some points I think would make it look more up-market and befitting for a First Lounge. Please do away with the current white serving plates and put nice rustic, traditional, attractive serving dishes out. It will make every dish look more individual rather than school canteen! The salad bar manages it so why cant the main hot plate?

The carrots veg plate is uninspiring - and only really goes with the bacon loin dish - how about some stir fry veg for a change? And finally - any chance of some cheese to go on the baked potatoes?

Anyway - the staff are friendly tonight, the champagne has come back to the cooler and the crisps have been replenished - time to sit in the comfy seats!

Regards aks120
Old Nov 27, 2014, 10:42 am

Programs: BA Silver Card
I have just had the most bizarre discussion with a BA manager in the GF T3 Lounge.

I arrived at 5:15 assuming there would be a hot buffet, as in T5, but there wasn't. So I asked said manager when would the hot food arrive, and during the course of the conversation she insisted that all the LHR GF Lounge offerings were consistent across terminals and that there was no hot food in T5 at 5:15 either, and that she worked there regularly and could assure me there was no possibility of any hot buffet in T5 before 5:30pm.

As a regular late afternoon visitor to GF T5 I know there *is* a hot buffet.

I suppose don't mind if there are different timings in T3 against T5, as long as it's made clear, but I do mind if the managers supposedly in charge don't seem to know what's going on, and insist they are correct regardless.

OK, I feel better now!
Old Nov 27, 2014, 3:59 pm

Programs: BAEC
Minor updates to post 1 to cover desserts and hot buffet alternatives.

For the benefit of Blindy, the waiter order desserts are:

Ice creams:
Chocolate Ice Cream
Vanilla Ice Cream
Mango & Lime Sorbet
Gin & Tonic Sorbet
Not sure that a (limited) selection of ice cream or sorbet really classes as a choice of desserts...
Old Nov 28, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by apacuk
I have just had the most bizarre discussion with a BA manager in the GF T3 Lounge.

I arrived at 5:15 assuming there would be a hot buffet, as in T5, but there wasn't. So I asked said manager when would the hot food arrive, and during the course of the conversation she insisted that all the LHR GF Lounge offerings were consistent across terminals and that there was no hot food in T5 at 5:15 either, and that she worked there regularly and could assure me there was no possibility of any hot buffet in T5 before 5:30pm.

As a regular late afternoon visitor to GF T5 I know there *is* a hot buffet.

I suppose don't mind if there are different timings in T3 against T5, as long as it's made clear, but I do mind if the managers supposedly in charge don't seem to know what's going on, and insist they are correct regardless.

OK, I feel better now!
Strange! I have a feeling the manager who you spoke to is perhaps getting confused with the GC food offerings. There is a gap in hot food buffet (with the exception of soup) between 15:00-18:00...give or take.

Not 100% sure of the exact up to date menus for either, but I'm sure T3 & T5 GF should offer the same. As for no hot food available at 5:15pm in FIRST; I think there should have been. My understanding is that the "all day dining" menu should be available at ALL TIMES between 12pm and 22:30pm, which includes hot food. Some items are table service and have to be ordered via the lounge hosts, but a hot buffet should still be available.

In the afternoons, sandwiches are available between 12:00-19:00, and afternoon tea available between 14:00 and 17:00.

Perhaps someone could confirm this for me?
Old Nov 28, 2014, 11:12 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by TyneTraveller
Perhaps someone could confirm this for me?
Yes, that sounds right to me. T3 and T5 lounges are identical for both GC and Flounge in terms of food and timings. The one exception is that if it is quiet they do not put the hot buffet out in Flounge simply because that would be a big waste of food. I've been there 2 hours and been the only user of Flounge. So as you indicate the lounge hosts can get you hot food upon request, in addition to the lounge request menu. This works better in mornings in that you get a made to order breakfast, but I can see that mid afternoon it's a bit trickier. The menu in post 1 should be useful in guiding people into what to consider ordering.

There is one other factor: a lot of occasional T3 Gold users turn into GC by accident, if it is quiet there they think they are in Flounge and are disappointed by what food option are on display. GC in T3 looks quite fresh in terms of décor, so I can see how it happens. Staff tell me a lot of Goldies do this.....
Old Nov 28, 2014, 12:04 pm

Programs: Hilton HHonors, BAEC Silver
Thanks for the clarification c-w-s.

There is one other factor: a lot of occasional T3 Gold users turn into GC by accident, if it is quiet there they think they are in Flounge and are disappointed by what food option are on display.
Ah, I have only been to T3 GC & Flounge once, so limited knowledge of layout etc. Hopefully people aren't too disheartened if this does happen, as the better option still awaits.

The one exception is that if it is quiet they do not put the hot buffet out in Flounge simply because that would be a big waste of food.
Seems sound common sense to me during quiet spells as a food cost control measure, as long as discreet circulation is given to all customers that the buffet food offer is still available on request.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 12:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Chicken tagine is decidedly ropey this evening.....chicken tastes almost plastic. The chilli con carne made up for it though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.