Seating guide: Airbus A320

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 24, 17, 7:58 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Prospero
Wiki Link
Airbus A320 Seating Guide

Whenever you call up your flight details using BA.com’s Manage My Booking (MMB), you may notice an peculiar code describing the aircraft operating your flight. It is usually generically marked as “320”, but can change to either 20A or M0A closer to departure. These codes can be quite useful as they allow you to narrow down the actual aircraft operating your flight.

Screen shot of the seat map in MMB, indicating where you can find information about the aircraft type

MMB code 20A
BA's indigenous A320s are fitted with B/E Aerospace slimline leather upholstered seats with 4-way adjustable headrests and eye level magazine storage. Cabins are also fitted with LED lighting. Seating capacity is 168CM

Notes:
  • Seat pitch is approx 30” in standard rows. Pitch is the same in business class ("Club Europe") as it is in economy ("Euro Traveller" and "Domestic")
  • In business class ("Club Europe"), the unsold middle seat is converted into a shared space by way of a fold down console. Business class cabin sizes do vary depending on individual flight loads. While the cabin size is usually determined approx 72 hours ahead of departure, the seat map is still subject to further minor adjustments up to approx 24 hours before departure although rarely contracting or expanding by more than one row during this period. The maximum capacity in business class is 40C (rows 1 to 10)
  • Exit rows 11 and 12 offer greater leg room but caution may be given to rows 10 and 11, as these seats do not recline.
  • Seats fitted on BA mainline A320s do not have power sockets (subject to verification)
  • Rows 3, 6, and 9 are without overhead vent nozzles. There may be other rows aft of the exit rows without nozzles, subject to verification
  • There are twelve A320s fitted with IFE equipment, showing looped content on overhead screens
Applicable IFE equipped aircraft:
G-EUUA, G-EUUB, G-EUUC, G-EUUD, G-EUUE, G-EUUF, G-EUUG, G-EUUH, G-EUUI, G-EUUJ, G-TTOB, and G-TTOE

MMB code M0A
Former BD frames, configured 168CM with 28 rows offer an approx 30" seat pitch. Exit rows are 11 and 12. Seats in rows 10 and 11 have no recline. These aircraft are identifiable by their row numbers - last row is 29, and row number 13 is skipped. Beware of seat 01F which on G-MEDK has no windows
Applicable aircraft:
G-MEDK, G-MIDO, G-MIDS, G-MIDT, G-MIDX, and G-MIDY

For all other aircraft codes
See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...-aircraft.html
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 18, 15, 5:08 am

Programs: BA Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata Plus
I'm flying economy on BA478 to Barcelona on Saturday and had reserved 2 seats at the back of the plane (I like to have a view so avoid being over the wings). More seat availability has come up at the front of the plane (rows 6&7) and I'm tempted to book seats A&B or E&F there, but seatguru says the middle seats in the front rows are uncomfortable due to the club europe configuration.

We're not checking in bags so there's an advantage to being at the front (unless it's a back-unloader) at Barcelona. Are seatguru correct in saying the converted middle seats are bad? If so, I'll stay at the back of the plane.
Old Feb 18, 15, 5:27 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

BA478 is scheduled to be an A320, so as these aircraft are all converted (or are otherwise ex BMI airframes), there will be no converter seats.

Ignore Seatguru because it's appallingly out of date.

I would not pick a seat on a route like BCN near the front of the ET cabin as the CE curtain is likely to shift back due to upgrades, and you run the risk of ending up in something silly like 18E.
Old Feb 18, 15, 5:34 am

Programs: BA Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata Plus
Originally Posted by paul4040 View Post
BA478 is scheduled to be an A320, so as these aircraft are all converted (or are otherwise ex BMI airframes), there will be no converter seats.

Ignore Seatguru because it's appallingly out of date.

I would not pick a seat on a route like BCN near the front of the ET cabin as the CE curtain is likely to shift back due to upgrades, and you run the risk of ending up in something silly like 18E.
Thanks. I'll stick to the rear of the plane.
Old Feb 18, 15, 5:36 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

I realise I made a linguistic error in my post - for clarity, the A320s at LHR have all been *refurbished* so they no longer contain converter seats, but the new ones instead.
Old Feb 28, 15, 8:48 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges
Original Poster

Seat plans for the 171CM configured A320s based at LGW have been added to the opening post. I'd appreciate confirmation on the correct MMB code for this type - i know it is either 10D or 20E.
Old Feb 28, 15, 10:37 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, IHG Spire Elite, HHonors Diamond
I've just had my first flight on one from NCL-LHR, in row 1 though, and not too bad. Central back cushion seems to stick out a bit.
Did try row 2 whilst people were boarding and legroom fine for me at 5ft7. Didn't look that much different to me but I probably don't fly enough to notice or not being 6ft plus it isn't problematic.
Old Mar 14, 15, 9:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Best seats on an A320?

I don't fly on A320s that often. Would those who do choose an exit row seat (row 11 or 12) or a row 1 seat 1B, C and E available)?
Old Mar 14, 15, 10:07 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
You want either the last exit row (probably row 12, if you are not out of Gatwick) or row 1. Personally I would go for 1C. Other people have pointed out that your kneecaps may be knocked on boarding, I haven't personally experienced that but I tend to board late. You do get lots of legroom in that seat. I'd probably go for row 12 A, C, D or F over 1B or 1E, unless my stomach girth was to vanish overnight.

Obviously check at T-72 to see if there is an equipment change. I'd stick with row 1, but if in row 12 it may be best to check in, but not App Download, Print, Save, Fax, or Email your boarding pass, if you suspect an equipment change. You can then keep an eye on the situation and change seats if necessary.
Old Mar 14, 15, 10:16 am

Thanks CWS. It is T-72 so I will switch my row 12 to 1C. I suspected that 1C would be the pick but thought I'd seek the wisdom of those like yourself first.

What I should do, of course, is pay more attention when I do fly then I wouldn't need to ask!!
Old Mar 14, 15, 10:18 am

Programs: BA Bronze
I've recently flown both Row 1 & Row 12.

Given the choice again I'd go for 1 as you definitely have the spare seat next to you.

Any of them are much of a much but if you have hand luggage go for C as the safety equipment is stored above D&F and you have to use Row 2 - which is fun.

EDIT - ignore - I thought this was a choice between CE and exit seat.
Old Mar 14, 15, 10:25 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador, Accor Gold, Avis Preferred, Heathrow Rewards
I prefer 1F, 1A, 1D on a 320. In 1C you invariably get bumped into by everyone who passes the seat, with handbags, backpacks etc flying into you

If flying into LHR, 1F gives great views over central London if you land from the east (which is quite often).
Old Mar 18, 15, 1:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
I am in CE to Prague on a 320 code 20A on MMB in CE on Froday.

Is anybody able to say do the tray tables come out of rigid arm rests that don't move up or for seats like 1A or 1F does the traytable come down from the bulkhead ?

Last edited by KeaneJohn; Mar 18, 15 at 1:55 pm Reason: spelling.
Old Mar 18, 15, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn View Post
I am in CE to Prague on a 320 code 20A on MMB in CE on Froday.

Is anybody able to say do the tray tables come out of rigid arm rests that don't move up or for seats like 1A or 1F does the traytable come down from the bulkhead ?
They come out of the armrests.
Old Mar 18, 15, 2:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by BerksFlyer View Post
They come out of the armrests.
Thanks for such a quick response. Does this mean the seats have square arm rests if that makes sense so that you can't lift any of them up or do the A and F seats still have a normal armrests on the window side.
Old Mar 18, 15, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn View Post
Thanks for such a quick response. Does this mean the seats have square arm rests if that makes sense so that you can't lift any of them up or do the A and F seats still have a normal armrests on the window side.
That I cant help you with, I was in 1C today! It was comfy enough and the legroom in the rows behind isn't great. Having said that I would save my money, travel ET and sit in row 11 or 12.

Search this Thread