Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask the staffer

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2018, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Thanks, Shuttle_Endeavour ... so the RAF has now formalised what we/I did on the back of a fag-packet or by gut feeling in the ‘old days’. A good thing, probably ... at least it gives you something to hang someone when things go wrong!

(Please excuse flippancy on an important subject, but we seemed to cope without all that with a bigger and more complex/intense RAF at dozens of airfields and ATCRUs in the 70s/80s ... tempus fugit eh?)

1965-1994 for me .,, much changed over those decades.
Old May 12, 2018, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by BertieBadger
To that end, for such airports I assume initial training would be done in the simulator, but would the pilot be accompanied by a check pilot for their first actual landings or would they be otherwise assessed by the Captain as part of the certification?

Thanks
It ranges from a 30 minute self briefing on a pc in an office, to a simulator session and a physical entry under supervision.

In the bad old days before Funchal was extended, on the B727's we were only allowed in on a 100 series by day, on a dry runway, with serviceable nose wheel brakes, with the wind within limits from the chart. This gave lots of opportunity to not arrive that day. As there were a limited number of qualified crews, this caused lots of roster disruption. In my opinion the route was not worth the trouble, and was subsequently dropped. A number of airlines followed suit, an hence the extension was built.
BertieBadger likes this.
Old May 14, 2018, 1:41 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by rapidex
It ranges from a 30 minute self briefing on a pc in an office, to a simulator session and a physical entry under supervision.

In the bad old days before Funchal was extended, on the B727's we were only allowed in on a 100 series by day, on a dry runway, with serviceable nose wheel brakes, with the wind within limits from the chart. This gave lots of opportunity to not arrive that day. As there were a limited number of qualified crews, this caused lots of roster disruption. In my opinion the route was not worth the trouble, and was subsequently dropped. A number of airlines followed suit, an hence the extension was built.
Ooh good trivia.

It's definitely an interesting approach to 05. none of this 'straight in, 3.5 degs , localiser and glideslope captured nice and early and get yourself on stable approach in plenty of time' malarky. Ohhhh no. More like 'aim for the mountain. Runway spends most of the time somewhere over your right shoulder and then you bank'.

As I understand it, for many airlines it's a skippers only landing? (there are a few of them - LCY is another - can't remember all off the top of my head. GIB maybe?)
Old May 14, 2018, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by Pascoe
Ooh good trivia.

It's definitely an interesting approach to 05. none of this 'straight in, 3.5 degs , localiser and glideslope captured nice and early and get yourself on stable approach in plenty of time' malarky. Ohhhh no. More like 'aim for the mountain. Runway spends most of the time somewhere over your right shoulder and then you bank'.

As I understand it, for many airlines it's a skippers only landing? (there are a few of them - LCY is another - can't remember all off the top of my head. GIB maybe?)
There is lots of them. Skiathos, St Maartens Bilbao for some carriers etc etc.
Old May 14, 2018, 2:22 am

Almost better being a right hand seat spectator for St Maarten anyway right? So you can watch the eejits on the beach standing in the surf holding up parasols and then seeming surprised when they get catapulted backwards (not that you see all of that from the front of the bus of course). But still......
Old May 20, 2018, 6:49 am

Programs: BA Avios
Question Current iPad policy?????

I hate to have to ask, however, I have done searches and find the policy re: iPad on flights confusing.

I am flying from PHL/LHR/NCE tomorrow...can I take my iPad in carry-on?

Thank you in advance for your help!
Old May 20, 2018, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by ddschur
I hate to have to ask, however, I have done searches and find the policy re: iPad on flights confusing.

I am flying from PHL/LHR/NCE tomorrow...can I take my iPad in carry-on?

Thank you in advance for your help!
Hi,

Yes with no problems ( you will be asked to take it out of your carry on at the LHR security point at flight connections prior to your NCE flight

Regards

TBS
Old Jun 11, 2018, 5:50 am

Sorry if this has been asked before, but when I use my golden ticket to recognise exceptional service, what typically happens for the person or persons I have nominated?

And as a follow up, is it different for flight crews vs CC?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:13 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Sorry if this has been asked before, but when I use my golden ticket to recognise exceptional service, what typically happens for the person or persons I have nominated?

I'm not a staffer but there are plenty of staff contributions in these threads.

Golden Ticket - is there a point submitting one?
Golden Ticket
Golden ticket... do you hear anything back after the staff receives it?
How much worth is the Golden Ticket?
'Golden Ticket' - Recognising Outstanding Service - launched on a permanent basis
Golden tickets - not just for frontline staff
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques

Not sure what happens with Flight Crew but CC get a well done from their manager which is as pleasurable as fart in a lift.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 11:46 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Can I help you

Not sure what happens with Flight Crew but CC get a well done from their manager which is as pleasurable as fart in a lift.
CC friends of mine have said similar, but have also said they keep the Golden Tickets just in case they get called in for any sort of reprimand or warning.

They seem to refer to the tickets as Get Out of Jail Free Cards!

M
deboyzoned likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Some love them, you can guess the type others see them for what they are!
msm2000uk likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I have a generic question about how e-tickets are "written", please.

If I have an itinerary that is DUR-JNB-LHR//LCY-AMS on the outbound half, and AMS-LHR-DUR on the inbound half, does the airport change on the outbound half still mean that one coupon on the first ticket is unusable?

IIRC, a paper ticket would have this written as follows because of the way that airport names would be copied through the sheets of the ticket via red carbon:-
  • Ticket 1, coupon 1: DUR-JNB
  • Ticket 1, coupon 2: JNB-LHR
  • Ticket 1, coupon 3: unused
  • Ticket 1, coupon 4: LCY-AMS
  • Ticket 2, coupon 1: AMS-LHR
  • Ticket 2, coupon 2: LHR-JNB
  • Ticket 2, coupon 3: JNB-DUR
  • Ticket 2, coupon 4: unused
ISTR that this feature persisted into the age of ATB tickets. Do e-tickets also still work in the same way, or has this limitation of carbon copies been eliminated?

The origin of the question is that I've been helping a friend to debug a ticketing problem that it turned out was due to either the TA or the ticketing airline forgetting to reissue a ticket after a change. Although that itinerary actually had nothing to do with BA, I realised that I don't actually know whether there's been any change in this, and therefore in the way that the coupons of a more complex trip might be split across tickets.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 6:04 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Globaliser
ISTR that this feature persisted into the age of ATB tickets. Do e-tickets also still work in the same way..?
Yes, although different GDSs display etkts differently; whereas Amadeus and Sabre clearly show an empty coupon in the middle, Apollo only skips the numbering and continues on, which can get confusing, especially when the surface isn't between co-terminals.

Also, while the meaning is the same, Amadeus would number those coupons as 1234567, whereas Apollo displays 124123.

An airline in Amadeus looking at an Apollo ticket will see it in the Amadeus format; Amadeus translates it. The TA who issued it will only ever see the Apollo format, and TAs can usually never see any airline issued etkts, they don't have system permissions, even if the TA issued the original etkt.

(The last empty coupon isn't numbered or displayed by any system AFAIK)
Old Jun 12, 2018, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Another Q re the ipads

How much previous flight history do they hold on us passengers? So could a CSM have seen that I was on a flight in April that he worked on to be able to mention it to me last week or did he really remember me?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.