Ask the staffer

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: Bear Backers
I doubt you would be denied boarding.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by oskidunker
I doubt you would be denied boarding.
If I can remember it’s like over $50 for a seat. If I could afford Club World, but can’t.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by CosmosHuman
I just finally booked my holiday for this November. PIT-JFK-LHR. Back through Philly. So, going on 777 in WT+, didn’t select a seat at time of booking. Will I have issues at Check-in 24/h before? Also I have a bad knee, but don’t require help, prefer aisle seat, hoping one would be open. Would I be denied boarding without paying extra for a seat?

Last time on BA was over 30 years ago.

Thanks in advance.
Almost no chance of being denied boarding. Not impossible, but if there was a problem they would more likely downgrade you to economy and kick someone else off.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 11:17 am

I wanted to give you all an update. I called BA and spoke with a very nice CS agent and told him about my knee impairment. He was able to book me an aisle seat at no charge. I wasn’t expecting anything, but am very pleased at the level of service I received. I have no status whatsoever, and was treated like the Queen. Many US airlines can take lessons in customer service from BA. Way to go!
BOH, MADPhil, Amygdala28 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by CosmosHuman; Aug 2, 2018 at 3:15 am
Old Aug 2, 2018, 3:12 am

Programs: Now BAEC Brown, fallen from 10 yrs BAEC Gold; Oyster 60+ Travelcard
In the mid 1980's, as a Manchester based graduate in psychology, Mrs GL2 applied to BA as cabin crew. After passing three rounds of testing, Mrs GL2 was invited to Hounslow for a week's training, which she passed. Offered an initial basic salary of £7k and measured for her uniform, Mrs GL2 decided not to join primarily as she did not want to live near Heathrow.

Had Mrs GL2 joined, what might a typical career and salary progression have looked like?
Old Aug 3, 2018, 5:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
What are the CC meant to do in the event of a smoke alarm? The only reason I ask is that on 29/7, I was on the 342 to NCE when the CSD came down the aisle and said very calmly to the CC that the smoke alarm went off in the cockpit from the rear toilet.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 6:03 am

Programs: M&M, BA Silver, Accor LeClub Gold
Originally Posted by tedcruz
What are the CC meant to do in the event of a smoke alarm? The only reason I ask is that on 29/7, I was on the 342 to NCE when the CSD came down the aisle and said very calmly to the CC that the smoke alarm went off in the cockpit from the rear toilet.
Er, check for the source of the smoke?
Old Aug 3, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
Originally Posted by ptr120
Er, check for the source of the smoke?
Well they were extremely relaxed about it. One of the CC even said 'let me finish this paymeny and I'll go and check in a minute.' Outrageous behaviour if someone was smoking in the lav.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 6:25 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Originally Posted by GateLouse2
In the mid 1980's, as a Manchester based graduate in psychology, Mrs GL2 applied to BA as cabin crew. After passing three rounds of testing, Mrs GL2 was invited to Hounslow for a week's training, which she passed. Offered an initial basic salary of £7k and measured for her uniform, Mrs GL2 decided not to join primarily as she did not want to live near Heathrow.

Had Mrs GL2 joined, what might a typical career and salary progression have looked like?
£7k in the mid-1980s? That was a good starting salary. Accountancy students straight out of university used to earn less than that. Probably equates to about £25k nowadays.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 6:33 am

Programs: Costa Coffee
Well they were extremely relaxed about it. One of the CC even said 'let me finish this paymeny and I'll go and check in a minute.' Outrageous behaviour if someone was smoking in the lav.
Worrying behaviour if there was a fire back aft.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 6:15 am

I expect what had happened was that the alarm was activated, the crew at the front investigated and dealt with it, then went to the back to tell the others. Communication is critical, so I would expect everything like that to be shared among the whole crew at that point.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 4:01 am

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
Roughly how many trips do flight crew/cabin crew make in a month/year - both long and short haul? I'm aware that there are plenty of days doing training etc, but curious how many 'working' flights are done in any given period.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
That would be a really complicated question to answer, there would be big difference for each fleet wether they are flight crew or cabin cabin crew part time or full time.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by ScruttonStreet
Roughly how many trips do flight crew/cabin crew make in a month/year - both long and short haul? I'm aware that there are plenty of days doing training etc, but curious how many 'working' flights are done in any given period.
As CIHY said, it’s completely fleet and contract dependant. You also need to consider annual and monthly maximum flying hours, which we often hit on MF and become grounded for short periods. MF also fly long and short haul, so rosters can vary hugely month on month. E.g one month you could have SIN/SYD which takes up 9 days, the next you could have 7 days of short haul in a row with up to four flights per day.
Basically, without being more specific, it varies.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 8:53 am

Have BA CC been retrained or received a bulletin lately regarding alcohol consumption on board? The last few flights I've taken, I've noticed a difference in CC attitude when giving out alcohol over and above the drinks run trolley (even being refused a second drink from the trolley on its first pass).

CC have been seen to take note of seat numbers of people asking for more alcohol and referring to this when asking again, so whats going on?

I'm not talking about people being drunk or disorderly, simply those asking for more alcohol than is freely given out

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.