Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask the staffer

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2018, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Yes they could see that far back but they wouldn’t know if they were on your flight other than checking their past roster or just by remembering you.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Thanks CIHY

I think it was a mix of the ipad / manifest info and his memory.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by JAXBA
Yes, although different GDSs display etkts differently; whereas Amadeus and Sabre clearly show an empty coupon in the middle, Apollo only skips the numbering and continues on, which can get confusing, especially when the surface isn't between co-terminals.

Also, while the meaning is the same, Amadeus would number those coupons as 1234567, whereas Apollo displays 124123.

An airline in Amadeus looking at an Apollo ticket will see it in the Amadeus format; Amadeus translates it. The TA who issued it will only ever see the Apollo format, and TAs can usually never see any airline issued etkts, they don't have system permissions, even if the TA issued the original etkt.

(The last empty coupon isn't numbered or displayed by any system AFAIK)
Brilliant - thanks, JAXBA!
JAXBA likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
One for the flight deck denizens....

What is the SOP in terms of when to turn on / off the transponder at start / end of a sector. Seemingly it isn't active when parked at stand or gate as otherwise a look at LHR on FR24 would show far more aircraft....
Old Jun 14, 2018, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by Pascoe

What is the SOP in terms of when to turn on / off the transponder at start / end of a sector. Seemingly it isn't active when parked at stand or gate as otherwise a look at LHR on FR24 would show far more aircraft....
Not a member of that particular club, and possibly a little out of date, but...

"Heathrow Airport is equipped with an advanced surface movement radar utilising Mode-S.
1 Aircraft operators intending to use London Heathrow Airport should ensure that Mode S transponders are able to operate when the aircraft is on the ground
2 Flight crew should:
Select XPNDR or the equivalent according to specific installation, AUTO if available, not OFF or STDBY, and the assigned Mode A code.
From the request for push back or taxi whichever is earlier;
After landing, continuously until the aircraft is fully parked on stand
After parking the Mode A code 2000 must be set before selecting OFF or STDBY.
3 Flight crew of aircraft equipped with Mode S having an aircraft identification feature should also set the aircraft identification. This setting is the aircraft identification specified in Item 7 of the ICAO ATC Flight Plan. The aircraft identification should be entered from the request for push back or taxi, whichever is earlier, through the FMS or the Transponder Control Panel."

rb211.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by Pascoe

AUTO or TXPDR in the before start checks, with the assisigned SQUAWK set, TA/RA taxiing out, confirmed in the Before Take Off Checks. Back to AUTO or TXPDR in the After Landing Checks and STBY with 2000 set in the Parking Checks. AUTO or TXPDR because we have at least two sets of Transponders with slightly different settings.
Pascoe likes this.

Last edited by Waterhorse; Jun 15, 2018 at 1:15 am
Old Jun 15, 2018, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you

Not sure what happens with Flight Crew but CC get a well done from their manager which is as pleasurable as fart in a lift.
Flight Crew don’t tend to get golden tickets as our interactions with the public are generally distant. If our flight and “pilots” or “flight crew” or “Capt x” is mentioned in a tweet to BA it tends to get noticed and we get an e-mail from one of the management saying “well done” or similar.
Pascoe likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 1:23 am

Programs: BA GGL
Ooh! An email!
Old Jun 15, 2018, 2:45 am

Following on from the FR24 question, do BA actually use that for flight operations? It does seem a bit unreliable for it but I know CX do.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by 1010101
Following on from the FR24 question, do BA actually use that for flight operations? It does seem a bit unreliable for it but I know CX do.
I have no idea whether it would s used at an Ops level. Crews use it when on the ground trying to find their next aircraft if it is running late etc.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 4:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Why are Baggage/Cargo trailers limited to 3 at Heathrow?
Often see more at other airports.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 5:07 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Bronze
Originally Posted by Waterhorse

I have no idea whether it would s used at an Ops level. Crews use it when on the ground trying to find their next aircraft if it is running late etc.
If you mean for tracking aircraft location, it's a system that used to be called Flight Sentry, which is now called Flight Explorer I think. It uses ACARS rather than ADS like Flight Radar, so it updates positions at defined intervals, rather than continuously as you see on FR24. But I seem to remember the system can "ping" an aircraft for it's position when demanded by the user.

But I know some ops staff just use FR24, and even bring in their personal iPads to track aircraft on them.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 5:14 am

Programs: Entry Level Expert
Originally Posted by Knickam
Why are Baggage/Cargo trailers limited to 3 at Heathrow?
Often see more at other airports.
By no means an authoritative or definitive answer, but baggage and cargo are two different operations using vastly different vehicles and two different types of trailer. As far as BA goes, baggage use three, cargo use two. Three has been tried in the past for cargo but isn't practical. One reason was the length causes major 'cut in' on corners which isn't healthy for airport infrastructure. Not too sure about baggage but I'd imagine those little tugs that do about 15mph downhill empty would probably move too slowly with more than three full AKEs.
Steve_ZA likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 11:06 pm

To make the threat of random alcohol testing for pilots credible, I would imagine testing would need to occur in outstations not just LON. Does BA send staff from LON to do random alcohol testing in outstations or do they use local personnel?
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:14 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Lots of delays into LGW today (not just BA). The GF is on a BA flight where a 45 to 60 minute delay was announced after everyone had boarded and due to "ATC restrictions". As quite a few flights into LGW around lunchtime are delayed is there a wider problem today with the airport or UK airspace?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.