Wiki Posts
Search

Ask the staffer

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2018, 3:54 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Telecasterman
On arrival MAN tonight (Airbus 319) that loud kinda sawing (woof woof) noise around the wing area seemed particular noticeable and went on for quite a bit as we approached the gate and shut down. Someone mentioned it may be the Power Transfer Unit on the Airbus 319/320? Always wondered what it was?
A320 family has 3 hydraulic systems. Yellow, Blue, Green. Yellow & Green systems are linked by the PTU (essentially allows one to pressure the other). On departure the noise can be the self test that is does while the second engine is starting, if the aircraft is doing a single engine taxi, the PTU will operate every time the difference in pressure between the yellow and green system exceeds a certain figure (500psi I believe).
Telecasterman and MADPhil like this.
Old May 3, 2018, 4:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by polemi
I have a question about checking in with a guest at LHR T5.
I understand that as a Gold I can invite someone to check-in with me at the First desks, use fast track and the First lounge.
You can still take them with you. Zone G is for groups, but only to facilitate large groups. They should be allocated a seat with their group but be able to check in anywhere.

You often get people booked as a large group but check in separately, tour groups and cruises etc. Nothing stopping them from checking in with you .
Old May 5, 2018, 12:56 am

Programs: BAEC bronze
Souvenir from from flight deck?

Hi all,

I completely forgot to ask this prior to going away or on the flight to Chennai itself, but I wondered:

Is there anything from the flight deck that I may be able to ask to take away as a souvenir from the return honeymoon flight? I'm not talking about hardware of course but thinking more like a weather print out or something? I'd like to keep something to put on the wall when I'm eventually allowed a "man cave".

Cheers!
BOH, Calchas and CloudGazer like this.
Old May 5, 2018, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by BAW2
Hi all,

I completely forgot to ask this prior to going away or on the flight to Chennai itself, but I wondered:

Is there anything from the flight deck that I may be able to ask to take away as a souvenir from the return honeymoon flight? I'm not talking about hardware of course but thinking more like a weather print out or something? I'd like to keep something to put on the wall when I'm eventually allowed a "man cave".

Cheers!
Much of the paperwork is now electronic but you can ask, they may have a copy of the Cirrus, essentially a print out of the electronic flight plan paperwork.
Old May 5, 2018, 4:01 am

Programs: BAEC bronze
Thank you!

Yes they all have iPads don't they. Thanks again; I'll ask a cabin crew member on the flight and see what they say.
Old May 5, 2018, 4:38 am

A two-parter:

1) Are BA booking references truly random?
2) I assume there is some kind of software to stop 'rude' words occurring amongst the six digits. What is the threshold? I've definitely had "tit" before but never "*hit" for example (so to speak)!
Calchas likes this.
Old May 5, 2018, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
2) The inclusion of numerics in a BA PNR should provide some sort of safety factor, I would think. Although "8OLL0K" might need a filter to avoid it
newyorklondon likes this.
Old May 5, 2018, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by T8191
2) The inclusion of numerics in a BA PNR should provide some sort of safety factor, I would think. Although "8OLL0K" might need a filter to avoid it
haha! I'm also pretty sure BA would not allow W4NK3R as a booking reference!

Sorry to be pedant, but am I right in thinking the booking reference number (record locator etc for other airlines) is something different to the PNR - i.e that it points to the PNR, which contains all the details?
Old May 5, 2018, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by newyorklondon
A two-parter:

2) I assume there is some kind of software to stop 'rude' words occurring amongst the six digits. What is the threshold? I've definitely had "tit" before but never "*hit" for example (so to speak)!
And a follow-up:

3) When did BA start using six-digit booking reference numbers?
Old May 5, 2018, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
BA PNR = AA Record Locator. Same thing, but with added digits!

Been 6-characters as long as I can remember. Some here will, of course, recall when BPs were written on parchment with a quill pen and may be able to elaborate further.
Old May 5, 2018, 10:20 am

And a follow-up:

3) When did BA start using six-digit booking reference numbers?
Sorry, I should clarify: 3) When did BA start using booking reference numbers, six-character or otherwise?
Old May 7, 2018, 6:58 pm

I have an F class flight iad/lhr nest Tuesday May 15th. I haven't flown this route for a couple of years. There used to be an 800 number in the US for YouFirst. I have searched the BA web site, this site and can't find the number.
Does it still exist and can you give me the number?
Old May 8, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
A two-parter:

Mostly. They're generated by Amadeus and while there isn't necessarily a logical order in which they're generated, when enough bookings are created in sequence one can see a generic pattern through the day: "oh, they're starting with a '3' today" which may last a day or two before they begin starting with a '4' and then 'X', 'Y' 'Z' then maybe 2, etc. Probably means there's some kind of sequence of next to be used behind the scenes somewhere within Amadeus, as they do get recycled after a long enough period of prior use has passed.

Yes, known profane combinations are not used but you may well see ones with body parts that would make a schoolboy giggle…

Sorry to be pedant, but am I right in thinking the booking reference number (record locator etc for other airlines) is something different to the PNR - i.e that it points to the PNR, which contains all the details?
Technically, yes, the PNR is the Passenger Name Record and contains the reservation and details thereof, but the use of 'PNR' as a synonymous term for record locator/booking reference is common.

Sorry, I should clarify: 3) When did BA start using booking reference numbers, six-character or otherwise?
BA predecessors BEA and BOAC developed their systems BEACON and BOADICEA respectively, in the early to mid 60s. BABS was developed in the mid 70s after the merger.

Fascinating, but useless information on BEACON here: Computer Resurrection Issue 43
Archived FT thread on BABS/Amadeus here: OT: I'm confused - which GDS is BA linked to

My father was involved in the BABS/Amadeus switch.

Originally Posted by T8191
Some here will, of course, recall when BPs were written on parchment with a quill pen and may be able to elaborate further.
Well, I wasn't around then, but from the BEACON link above:

Passenger records, for example, were maintained manually
in card files of hand-written cards. To complicate matters further, flight schedule changes needed to be managed and, ideally, seat availabilities adjusted, through the months prior to a flight…
That would have been in my grandmother's day, when she worked for East African Airways and BOAC. We recently went for a walk around EXT airport together and seeing all the BE flight numbers on the departure screen made her do a double take, and wax lyrical on how BOAC to BEA reservations used to be made…
Old May 8, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by jmj9905
I have an F class flight iad/lhr nest Tuesday May 15th. I haven't flown this route for a couple of years. There used to be an 800 number in the US for YouFirst. I have searched the BA web site, this site and can't find the number.
Does it still exist and can you give me the number?
I refer you to your own thread of Dec 2014: U.S. You First contact phone number?

800 331 1332 (it still works, not sure why it's no longer listed on BA.com)
Old May 8, 2018, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by JAXBA
800 331 1332 (it still works, not sure why it's no longer listed on BA.com)
According to the BA web site You First is only for UK residents, whilst they might find a US 800 number useful, can the rest of us do anything with it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.