Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask the staffer

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2018, 2:55 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Waterhorse

i cannot comment on what exact fit exists for other carriers but I suspect there is very little difference from one A320to the next. In a BA fit there are usually 7 oxymasks per row, sometimes and in some rows there are 8. Usually there is a stagger, so that the additional mask is located first on the one side then then next. Theses are not additiona masks for infants, though they can fulfill this role. Their main sage is to allow cabin crew to “monkey swing” to their own seats in the case of a prolonged descent over high ground post decompression. They also cover failures or breakages when some scared passenger rips a mask from the ceiling in their panic.
thanks. I was referring to on BA A320. Customer service have told me that as I'm traveling with an infant we can't select seats any further forward than row 16. Seems odd as on the 319 earlier this year we could select any row without issues.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 3:29 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by PoincianaKings
thanks. I was referring to on BA A320. Customer service have told me that as I'm traveling with an infant we can't select seats any further forward than row 16. Seems odd as on the 319 earlier this year we could select any row without issues.
I'm not staff. The one thing I can contribute is that Manage My Booking is actually correctly auto-adjusted when there is an infant in the booking, so that on some aircraft you may see a set of alternating row blocks of available seats, assuming no other passengers have taken them, representing the extra mask seating areas.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 3:32 am

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
Another day, and another issue with an A380. This has got me questioning whether they are indeed more unreliable than other aircraft in the fleet, or whether this is simply bad 'luck'?

The three possibilities seem to me to be:

1. There are indeed more issues per frame with the A380 than other aircraft
2. There are no more issues per frame than with any other aircraft, it's just that, having fewer of them, they are more prone to lead to disruption since BA can less easily 'rustle up' a new plane
3. There are no more issues than with any other aircraft, it's just that, at the moment, and by coincidence, most of the reported disruption affects them, rather than anything else
Old Mar 20, 2018, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by ScruttonStreet
Another day, and another issue with an A380. This has got me questioning whether they are indeed more unreliable than other aircraft in the fleet, or whether this is simply bad 'luck'?

2. There are no more issues per frame than with any other aircraft, it's just that, having fewer of them, they are more prone to lead to disruption since BA can less easily 'rustle up' a new plane
3. There are no more issues than with any other aircraft, it's just that, at the moment, and by coincidence, most of the reported disruption affects them, rather than anything else
I can't speak for BA's specific fleet but generally they're no worse than other types. The dispatch reliability is now up around the 99% mark, which is similar to other long haul aircraft and close to the industry leading 777. I believe there is a minor issue with spares availability but that's about all.

I think you probably just notice it more due to the huge disruption when one does go out of service. They have also had a few high profile incidents, although it's not the A380 that liked to catch fire and now needs all it's engines replacing.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by ScruttonStreet

The only fleet in BA that doesn’t have spare aircraft is the A380. All the other fleets have a couple of spares to put into service if there’s a technical issue, or they can shuffle aircraft around, or change from a 777 to a 747, 787 to a 777 etc. There isn’t a spare A380 so if one breaks there is inevitable a cancellation or delay, and as they carry more pax than other fleets it’s obvious to more people.

If there was 20 of them there would be a spare.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Any of the BA staff on here know if BA have changed cleaning companies recently? Seeing reports of multiple flight delays over the past few days due to aircraft not being cleaned, cleaned late or the standard was so poor the crew called the cleaners back.
Have heard of a BOS/JFK and HKG flight suffering delays due to this issue in the last 2 days which seems a high portion of flights with the same excuse.

Pilot37
Old Mar 20, 2018, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Jumbodriver

The only fleet in BA that doesn’t have spare aircraft is the A380. All the other fleets have a couple of spares to put into service if there’s a technical issue, or they can shuffle aircraft around, or change from a 777 to a 747, 787 to a 777 etc. There isn’t a spare A380 so if one breaks there is inevitable a cancellation or delay, and as they carry more pax than other fleets it’s obvious to more people.

If there was 20 of them there would be a spare.
The other issue is the route. The JNB route is notoriously bad for IRROPS because it's late in the evening, when the reserve has either already been used or cannot be brought in without the crew going out of hours, no spare full crew set, no more flights to disperse passengers on and so on and so forth.

When the 57 was on a 744 and it threw a wobbly, even if we had a 744 spare, by the time you dragged it over to T5, got it catered and got everyone onboard it was either night jet ban, hours or generally so late that it made no sense to do anything but HOTAC.

On the other side of the route, JNB is also a hard place from where to recover a 380. SAA do their damnest to help, hats off to those guys, but the infrastructure is what it is, you can't do a 3-engine ferry with the fatty, not unless you want to stopover in Congo...

All this is based on my experience and is in no way BA's official view.
LondonCanuck likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by 13900
you can't do a 3-engine ferry with the fatty, not unless you want to stopover in Congo...
Can you do a 3-engine ferry flight from ZA to the UK (or at least southern Europe) with the Queen of the Skies?
Old Mar 21, 2018, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by flatlander
Can you do a 3-engine ferry flight from ZA to the UK (or at least southern Europe) with the Queen of the Skies?
i doubt you could do it from JNB, given the altitude of the airfield and the length of the transit. The take off perf calcs would be the killer, the assumed loss of the engine at V1 and subsequent 2 engined takeoff would be crippling to available take off mass even from a long runway.
flatlander and mjh0 like this.

Last edited by Waterhorse; Mar 21, 2018 at 8:16 am
Old Mar 21, 2018, 5:58 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Anyone heard any updates to the rumours about new CE catering from April? Is this still on the way?
Old Mar 21, 2018, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by Waterhorse

i doubt you could do it from JNB, given the altitude of the airfield and the length of the transit. The take off perf calls would be the killer, the assumed loss of the engine at V1 and subsequent 2 engined takeoff would be crippling to available take off mass even from a long runway.
I know this is hypothetical but could it be ferried to DUR nice and empty, then ferried onwards to say DOH? Just over 4K miles.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Calum
I know this is hypothetical but could it be ferried to DUR nice and empty, then ferried onwards to say DOH? Just over 4K miles.
Sorry I’m sure a more informed colleague will be along to answer you but it’s been a long time since I flew the jumbo and had access to the exciting perf manual. I have no idea of the 3 eng ferry range. I can imagine it would still be limited as the issue is not the flight it is the take off issue. If an engine fails in flight on a 4 eng aircraft then you fly what you have, ie range is real range at the weight you are at. Takeoff performance always assumes a failure of the most critical engine at just above V1. Jumbos do not fly well on 2, especially at take off so the weights will be really limiting.
Calum likes this.

Last edited by Waterhorse; Mar 21, 2018 at 9:27 am
Old Mar 21, 2018, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Calum
Most 3 eng ferries are limited to single sector. A tech stop would add additional complications, first of all with clearance for the second sector, then having support at the tech stop destination. Only the operating crew are permitted on board, because they are expendable, no cabin crew or engineers.

I have never looked at whether an augmented crew would be allowed, the only 3 engine ferries I have done have been strictly 2 crew.. As the DFO's favourite choice for 3 eng ferries, it was clear he wanted to be rid of me in a manner other then retirement.
Calum likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by flatlander
I remember one day when a 744 blew an engine out of JNB we couldn't do a 3-engine-ferry out of it, and the plane was stranded for days. By the way, it was one that went down to history with the skipper telling the engineers that they'd better give him a change of knickers, even though everyone who told me said that they weren't there but they'd heard it from their mate/cousin/nephew/hairdresser's mistress so I'd take it with a fairly large pinch of salt.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by rapidex
Most 3 eng ferries are limited to single sector. A tech stop would add additional complications, first of all with clearance for the second sector, then having support at the tech stop destination. Only the operating crew are permitted on board, because they are expendable, no cabin crew or engineers.

I have never looked at whether an augmented crew would be allowed, the only 3 engine ferries I have done have been strictly 2 crew.. As the DFO's favourite choice for 3 eng ferries, it was clear he wanted to be rid of me in a manner other then retirement.
It is possible to operate a 3 Engine Ferry from JNB and BA has done it several times with the B744. As already mentioned, takeoff performance is the big problem. As much weight as possible needs to be removed from the aircraft - so no cargo/mail, the catering modules are removed and even potable water drained. With all of that, it's not possible to reach somewhere in Europe and a tech stop in Lagos has previously been the chosen option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.