Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask the staffer

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2018, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd
It looked to me (at the beginning of January) that it was just a bit of engine cowling being used with the VN livery on it, not the whole engine. Someone more qualified than me will be able to confirm
Well yes its the cowling that's visible, i suppose no way to know where the engine underneath is from. If it's just the cowling that's perhaps even more surprising they are going bargain hunting in SE Asia.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by 1010101
If it's just the cowling that's perhaps even more surprising they are going bargain hunting in SE Asia.
At first glance, that would appear to be unlikely, given that VN's own 777s (all four of them apparently now stored) have PW engines.

The six 777s formerly operated by VN with GE90s were ILFC aircraft, and are all still active with other airlines. I don't know how likely it would have been that VN owned any spare parts for these aircraft. Even though the mismatched VN-liveried part seen on this BA aircraft would at some stage have lived on a VN-operated aircraft, I therefore have doubts as to whether BA is using it because BA went bargain hunting in southeast Asia.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
At first glance, that would appear to be unlikely, given that VN's own 777s (all four of them apparently now stored) have PW engines.

The six 777s formerly operated by VN with GE90s were ILFC aircraft, and are all still active with other airlines. I don't know how likely it would have been that VN owned any spare parts for these aircraft. Even though the mismatched VN-liveried part seen on this BA aircraft would at some stage have lived on a VN-operated aircraft, I therefore have doubts as to whether BA is using it because BA went bargain hunting in southeast Asia.
Absolutely wasn't the case of "bargain hunting". BA, and most 'legacy' airlines, is a member of IATP, short for International Airlines Technical Pool. Simplifying greatly, it's an association/agreement where member airlines, MROs and manufacturers agree to share spares in various airports around the world, effectively borrowing each others' tools, infrastructure and know-how. It's largely all done on a free basis, on the often proved assumption that "today's me, tomorrow's gonna be you". IATP is also a conference where all the players gather, contracts are made and a lot of gossiping in the world of Line Maintenance goes on, as well as the usual spectacle of KLM Maintenance trying to undercut their "brothers" from Air France.

In this case, most probably BA had a damaged cowling on an aircraft and VN, or an airline that handles VN, had exactly the right piece of kit for the job, just in somebody else's livery. The spare is given for free, and next time BA will provide, say, a wheel for that airline in BOM. I tried to explain the concept to a finance heavy-hitter a long time ago, and she kept on refusing to understand why BA would give another airline (it was EK, in that case) free access to our jacks at a European airport that now escapes me. Round and round and round we went and this doctorate-holder grew more and more wound up (the cost! the lost revenue! helping the enemy!) until I remembered one time when EK, in DXB, provided a fuel pump, tooling, guidance to our engineers, an engine run pen and a lot of water, all free of charge. When I reminded her how much that cancellation would've costed us, she finally got it.

IATP is one of the nicest things in the industry.

All this is obviously my own opinion and these are only my own recollections, not British Airways'.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:50 am

Hi hope this is the right place. My husband booked First flights today for the 2 of us then we went to choose seats and it wouldn't let us.. As the BA website was a bit iffy when I was booking I phoned youfirst. The agent said he would book the seats for us and told me to sign out and then go in again to check the seats. When I went back to sign in again, in the log in ID it showed the whole of my husbands amex number and in the pin/password box was 4 dots which I presume was his 4 digit number from the front of his card.
I phoned youfirst and after 3 phone calls and doing what they suggested, ie deleting cookies/history etc it has made no difference. BA are saying it must be my pc?
Also when my husband goes to sign in on his computer it always brings up my sign in details! Anybody have any ideas about what we can do.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by bubbah
Hi hope this is the right place. My husband booked First flights today for the 2 of us then we went to choose seats and it wouldn't let us.. As the BA website was a bit iffy when I was booking I phoned youfirst. The agent said he would book the seats for us and told me to sign out and then go in again to check the seats. When I went back to sign in again, in the log in ID it showed the whole of my husbands amex number and in the pin/password box was 4 dots which I presume was his 4 digit number from the front of his card.
I phoned youfirst and after 3 phone calls and doing what they suggested, ie deleting cookies/history etc it has made no difference. BA are saying it must be my pc?
Also when my husband goes to sign in on his computer it always brings up my sign in details! Anybody have any ideas about what we can do.
It really *is* your PC - BA don't push anything other than the email box pre-filled in.

It is down to the PC automatically saving login information - there's a reasonable guide here for each browser: https://www.bu.edu/tech/services/ccc...password-list/ - it might be a bit old though.

Although note - it doesn't cover Microsoft's latest browser on Windows 10 (Edge).
Old Feb 27, 2018, 12:24 pm

MPH1980 thank you for your reply, I have windows10 so will have to hope it goes away. I deleted saved passwords etc so will wait and see.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: BAEC bronze
How many cans of each beer choice tend to be loaded onto / into a 787 CW bar?

Just wondering.... ahem.... Tribute.

Thanks.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Two in each, there here are 4 bars loaded.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:39 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Anybody know if the same crew who do the evening LHR/OTP also operate the morning flight back? It arrives in OTP at 00.15 local time and departs at 8.30 the next morning.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 2:15 am

Programs: BAEC GCH
Originally Posted by BAW2
How many cans of each beer choice tend to be loaded onto / into a 787 CW bar?

Just wondering.... ahem.... Tribute.

Thanks.
I don't want to give the wrong impression of my drinking habits, but I feel I have seen more than my fair share of occasions where the CC has had to go and raid another cabin for the next Tribute.....
Old Mar 9, 2018, 2:20 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
To give you the benefit of some doubt, it would only take a couple of passengers deciding to have a couple of pints (equivalent) of Tribute each for the crew to have to search around for more, most bars having been emptied of Tribute. That's hardly excessive drinking on a several hour flight.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 2:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
I am proud (??) to say that I drank a 321 bar dry of Tribute once. Both cans.
Sorry to anyone on the return.
Calchas likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 5:26 am

Programs: BAEC bronze
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Two in each, there here are 4 bars loaded.
Thank you!

Thanks to others' input which I didn't see before responding. Love the bit "drunk the bar dry, both cans"

Last edited by BAW2; Mar 9, 2018 at 5:28 am Reason: forgot to say thanks to others
Old Mar 9, 2018, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by madfish
Anybody know if the same crew who do the evening LHR/OTP also operate the morning flight back? It arrives in OTP at 00.15 local time and departs at 8.30 the next morning.
It wouldn't be the same crew.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 3:38 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by ibizarep
It wouldn't be the same crew.
That would be my thinking but would be good to have it confirmed by a BA staffer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.