Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask the staffer

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2018, 3:21 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by 1010101
Most hotels won't give points for anything other than directly booked, full rate stays. Any kind of corporate deal usually sees the points nixed in my experience. It's not just airline crew that get shafted.
We get to claim points for corporate rate hotel bookings made and prepaid by our employing company. This includes Hilton, Marriott, Fairmont, Radisson & Le Meridien that I know off.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 3:26 am

Often wondered how much longer a flight actually takes when it has to fly past the airport and land in the opposite direction instead of a straight in approach?
Old Jan 24, 2018, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by Knickam
Often wondered how much longer a flight actually takes when it has to fly past the airport and land in the opposite direction instead of a straight in approach?
Depends on the additional track miles but between 8-10 mins
Old Jan 24, 2018, 3:43 am

Thank you Waterhorse.
I was thinking of Aberdeen as it's my home airport.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by SussexFly
With regards to catering long haul aircraft - do they cater for a full aircraft or for the booked load?
And if it’s for the booked load - at what point to they take that as that’s what they’ll cater for?
Im not staff but amply discussed elsewhere: booked load normallly finalised in last 24hrs though could be corrected especially ex London.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 4:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
We get to claim points for corporate rate hotel bookings made and prepaid by our employing company. This includes Hilton, Marriott, Fairmont, Radisson & Le Meridien that I know off.

i think we’re mixing up the issues here;
  1. ​​​​Does the hotel/service provider allow points to be awarded on that particular booking? That is entirely dependent on them, “yes, we can give you this great rate but you won’t collect points”.
  2. Does the person paying for your travel allow you to collect points on the trips they are paying for? That is dependent on your contract with them, some employers (often this affects civil service travel) will not allow it so that their staff cannot be seen to be influenced by such ‘gifts’.
I read the question as “are crew *allowed* to collect points”. I’m afraid I don’t have an answer to that.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by NeverFirst

i think we’re mixing up the issues here;
  1. ​​​​Does the hotel/service provider allow points to be awarded on that particular booking? That is entirely dependent on them, “yes, we can give you this great rate but you won’t collect points”.
  2. Does the person paying for your travel allow you to collect points on the trips they are paying for? That is dependent on your contract with them, some employers (often this affects civil service travel) will not allow it so that their staff cannot be seen to be influenced by such ‘gifts’.
I read the question as “are crew *allowed* to collect points”. I’m afraid I don’t have an answer to that.

Yes in both cases

We can add flying and hotel program numbers to our company travel profile.
We request our travel and our company travel agent makes the bookings for flights and hotels and they add our associated program numbers to the booking.
All flights and hotels are prepaid and all airmiles and hotel points are added to our personal accounts.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 9:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by PETER01
Thanks for that, appreciated. I'm assuming some of it is down to costs as well given there are much more CC than FC on longer flights.
Originally Posted by Waterhorse
LA is a a place where the attitude of the hotels themselves is more important than cost, although cost does come into it. Essentially in LA the hotels we have used in the past decided they could make more money by renting out to conference and convention guests rather than airlines. Given that there are now a lot more CC than FC it is always easier to find places for the smaller group, finding a hotel that will sell 23 x 2 rooms day, with a no hot bedding clause, for the A380, often dictates which hotels will tender for the business. In LA none of the hotels we used to use a few years ago, where crew all stayed together were interested, as I said they could sell the rooms for more money than BA would pay. For FC, the pay agreements make it more viable to pay a little more to the hotel rather than pay more to the FC in increased duty pay and credit for the trip. It is not so much that FC need better hotels or have differing requirements more the physical number of rooms he hotels were prepared to offer.
Thanks Waterhorse, very much appreciate the detailed reply and note the later replies to other posters. That is indeed a lot of rooms on some routes which have multiple flights.^ My curiosity is now satisfied, thanks again
Old Jan 24, 2018, 9:53 pm

Yes in both cases

We can add flying and hotel program numbers to our company travel profile.
We request our travel and our company travel agent makes the bookings for flights and hotels and they add our associated program numbers to the booking.
All flights and hotels are prepaid and all airmiles and hotel points are added to our personal accounts.
What i am saying is many hotels will not give points for discounted rates, they seem far more eager to get out of giving points away than airlines do.

Your company may allow you to collect points but do you have heavily discounted rates or do you just pay standard room rates? And if it is discounted, is it discounted as heavily as an airline booking out 40-50 rooms a night all year round? BA may not allow point collection but the hotels may not be willing to give them either.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by 1010101
What i am saying is many hotels will not give points for discounted rates, they seem far more eager to get out of giving points away than airlines do.

Your company may allow you to collect points but do you have heavily discounted rates or do you just pay standard room rates? And if it is discounted, is it discounted as heavily as an airline booking out 40-50 rooms a night all year round? BA may not allow point collection but the hotels may not be willing to give them either.
It is a negotiated contract rate, I've had four stays at he Radisson blu at heathrow over the last year and the rate has been exactly the same every time.
It has always been cheaper than the flexible rate and once it was less than half the price.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 10:15 pm

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
It is a negotiated contract rate, I've had four stays at he Radisson blu at heathrow over the last year and the rate has been exactly the same every time.
It has always been cheaper than the flexible rate and once it was less than half the price.
For hotels, the ability to earn points in the hotel chain's loyalty program is usually built into a corporate rate RFP (especially for bigger clients that they are trying to maintain with the chain), this is regardless of the difference between the contracted company rate and the publicly available rate for the day.

So let's say Hotel Chain A has a corporate rate for Fortune 500 Company XYZ. at Hotel Location 123. Even if the corp rate is GBP 100.00 and the regular rate is GBP 300.00. If the contract allows for points to be earned then even if the corp rate is 33% of the regular rate, points will still be earned.

I'm guessing there is some similar agreement on a company-to-company contract basis with airline miles.
Knickam likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 3:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by TravelwhileyouEat
For hotels, the ability to earn points in the hotel chain's loyalty program is usually built into a corporate rate RFP (especially for bigger clients that they are trying to maintain with the chain), this is regardless of the difference between the contracted company rate and the publicly available rate for the day.

So let's say Hotel Chain A has a corporate rate for Fortune 500 Company XYZ. at Hotel Location 123. Even if the corp rate is GBP 100.00 and the regular rate is GBP 300.00. If the contract allows for points to be earned then even if the corp rate is 33% of the regular rate, points will still be earned.

I'm guessing there is some similar agreement on a company-to-company contract basis with airline miles.
Exactly. I work for a big company and our corporate rate (which is significantly below even hotels.com prices) allows us to earn hotel points. Hence my original question asking about crew. Which I think (thank you crew members) has now been answered.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist
I see that the A320s (and I guess the 319 and 321) are now having maintenance undertaking in Madrid. When an aircraft positions out for maintenance does a member of cabin crew have to fly out with pilots for safety reasons. I presume they do. If so how many cabin crew are required for an empty 320 family ferry flight? Also how many cabin crew are needed on the 380 when it goes to MNL fair maintenance?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
No cabin crew have to be on ferry flights the pilots can look after themselves.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by PoincianaKings
I see that the A320s (and I guess the 319 and 321) are now having maintenance undertaking in Madrid. When an aircraft positions out for maintenance does a member of cabin crew have to fly out with pilots for safety reasons. I presume they do. If so how many cabin crew are required for an empty 320 family ferry flight? Also how many cabin crew are needed on the 380 when it goes to MNL fair maintenance?
No cabin crew required at all for an engineering flight. I have done this a few times and an empty jumbo and just 2 pilots is an eerie thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.