Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask the staffer

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2017, 2:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
If he had run out of experience and ability and you did not, does that not mean he is not a good enough pilot?
Wow.
Globaliser and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 3:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
If he had run out of experience and ability and you did not, does that not mean he is not a good enough pilot?
Lol, isn't that why we have a more experienced captain and a first officer in the cockpit?
Old Dec 23, 2017, 3:29 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower
Wow.
I totally agree. One thing to make constant digs at service but another to comment on the competency of the pilots.
Globaliser, rossmacd and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 5:06 am

So in your job, when you were new, you never saw anything outside your experience and your abilities never improved as you gained more experience?

Last edited by Waterhorse; Dec 23, 2017 at 11:35 am
Old Dec 23, 2017, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower
Wow.
Yep, more drivel from certain posters on here, that the Mods have continually failed to address.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 8:33 am

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Heathrow Tower, I'm curious under your new procedures what would be the separation between a Cessna 172 behind a 737 on parallel runways? Years ago when I was a student pilot I took off from PHX at least 4 minutes after a 737 on a parallel runway. Tower turned me left to fly across midfield on course. Everything was smooth until I crossed the wake, then WHAM! Our heads were in the ceiling. Smooth for the rest of the flight.

The two runways (7L and 7R) are much closer than the runways at Heathrow; basically just a taxiway separates them.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by BertieBadger
Not a pilot, so these will be very much newbie questions, but Aob = angle of bank, is that correct?
Am I to understand that basically, what you describe is the aircraft involuntarily being banked by 20 degrees (and turning as a result) due to the wake turbulence? And when you speak of control authority, you refer to the fact that the FO could make no further(?) input to correct it?

Or have I misunderstood?
​​​​​​Thanks
Bertie, you got everything exactly right. Sorry for drifting into technobabble.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Lost
Heathrow Tower, I'm curious under your new procedures what would be the separation between a Cessna 172 behind a 737 on parallel runways? Years ago when I was a student pilot I took off from PHX at least 4 minutes after a 737 on a parallel runway. Tower turned me left to fly across midfield on course. Everything was smooth until I crossed the wake, then WHAM! Our heads were in the ceiling. Smooth for the rest of the flight.

The two runways (7L and 7R) are much closer than the runways at Heathrow; basically just a taxiway separates them.
ICAO states that if the parallel runways are further apart than 760m (LHR’s are 1414m) then there is no wake turbulence separation required. However, it also states that wake separation should be applied if the airborne tracks are expected to cross.

Two things regarding your particular case....Firstly, 4 mins is in excess of any separation proscribed, so this is illustrative that wake encounters can still occur even with the correct separation. Secondly, the USA has a more liberal attitude to wake turbulence separation. In the UK ATC is not permitted to reduce or ignore wake separation standards. In the US, on paper, ATC can ask pilots if they are happy to ignore/reduce wake separation. In practice, this usually ends up with ATC giving traffic information with a caution: “You are number two to a 737 in your one o’clock, three miles, caution wake turbulence” and that is seen as ATC fulfilling their responsibility.

Lost likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 10:04 am

Would a smaller aircraft still encounter the turbulence following a large aircraft on take of if it had a shorter take off distance and faster rate of climb?
Is this taken into account in the minimum wake seperation calculations?
Old Dec 23, 2017, 10:18 am

Wake vortices descend and when they hit the ground they spread out from the point of origin. They are pushed along in the wind so the worst case is a gentle crosswind which will keep the upwind vortex over or in the flight path longer.

The vortices are only a real issue for an airborne aircraft. A lighter or smaller aircraft will normally get airborne before a heavy/larger one and will therefore normally be airborne above the danger. This is why intersection departures need greater separation. Heavier aircraft produce stronger vortices - generally, though the 757 is a known producer of strong vortices. The stronger the vortex the greater the danger, particularly for lighter, slower aircraft as they have less total energy to use to escape the vortex. Inertia can be a life saver in a strong vortex.

Encounters close the ground are the most dangerous as you have less energy and less altitude to play with. Most encounters are brief and not dangerous, merely a sharp jolt. However in the wrong circumstances they can be startling and spectacular. The worst I ever experienced was in training during a stream formation landing, at about 200agl I was turned on my side - c70 AOB in about 1/2 second. Hence we pilots are slightly distrustful of reductions in separation from scientists that can prove all sorts in the lab. Real life can bite and current separation rules still lead to vortex encounters - thankfully most of the non threatening type

Last edited by Waterhorse; Dec 23, 2017 at 11:34 am
Old Dec 23, 2017, 10:36 am

Just to add to Waterhorse's excellent contributions, when an aircraft has a wake encounter, the pilot will file a report. In the UK we have a great relationship with most airlines so that, once we request it, they will send the flight data (such as would be examined after a crash) to us so we can actually see the effect of the vortex to avoid any subjective assessment. For example, we've had reports of a 40 degree AOB encounter, but on examination the aircraft was already established in a 30 degree bank in a left turn, so the wake added 10 degree rolling moment.

The strength of wake is assessed in terms of a rolling moment coefficient.

I'm confident that the UK has one of, if not the, best database of wake encounter information.
Cw novice and Knickam like this.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 1:20 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by Waterhorse
More complicated usually means less safe - particularly when human interaction happens. Even under current rules things happen. I was turned through 20 Aob at 50 feet the other early. I was in an A321 following an A319. We had standard separation but it was an ideal day for a vortex encounter - wind less than 5 knots and coming from 30 degrees off runway heading. It didn't last long but we had run out of control authority and had to hang there for 2-3 seconds in a very poor place. My FO was distracted by the event for the whole flight after that. He had run out of experience and ability. Let's hope this commercially driven reduction in separation doesn't hurt people in the real world. Modelling cannot recreate real life fully.
Was that on a flight to GLA a few days ago Waterhorse? My flight on Tuesday right after take off (A321) and we suddenly lurched to the side. It felt like quite a jolt and as if we were about to do a barrel roll. Didn’t see what took off before us but know we skipped in front of a TK 77W.

S
Old Dec 23, 2017, 1:36 pm

It was a Manchester but the weather this week does seem ideal for a wake encounter
Old Dec 24, 2017, 3:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Waterhorse
...Hence we pilots are slightly distrustful of reductions in separation from scientists that can prove all sorts in the lab...
Whilst I appreciate your contributions to this thread, your comment here is quite off-piste. If a scientist is "prov[ing] all sorts in the lab" then they are not a scientist, they're a charlatan. Those involved in this reduction in wake separation have worked tremendously hard to ensure that safety is not affected (I'm working right now, on Christmas Eve, for no extra pay) and it is very disheartening to see the hard work that goes into things like this being disparaged by, with all respect, someone who doesn't know what's involved.
We could have a huge matrix that covers all eventualities, ensuring there's (almost) never a wake turbulence encounter - but as Heathrow Tower has already said it's impossible to expect a controller to remember tens or hundreds of thousands of variable combinations. The regulations are - by necessity - a simplification. As soon as you simplify things (excluding, of course, doing something silly like specifying 10 minutes between all aircraft) you will allow more encounters to occur, it's impossible not to.
truncated likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 3:52 am

Sadly I live in the real world where errors cost lives. I'm sure you work very hard abmbd are very conscientious but as I described under the current rules I had a nasty wake encounter a couple of weeks ago and now, mainly for commercial reasons we are facing reduced separation minima. You'll have to forgive my skepticism

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.