FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ask the staffer
Thread: Ask the staffer
View Single Post
Old Dec 23, 2017, 1:20 pm
Saltire74
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by Waterhorse
More complicated usually means less safe - particularly when human interaction happens. Even under current rules things happen. I was turned through 20 Aob at 50 feet the other early. I was in an A321 following an A319. We had standard separation but it was an ideal day for a vortex encounter - wind less than 5 knots and coming from 30 degrees off runway heading. It didn't last long but we had run out of control authority and had to hang there for 2-3 seconds in a very poor place. My FO was distracted by the event for the whole flight after that. He had run out of experience and ability. Let's hope this commercially driven reduction in separation doesn't hurt people in the real world. Modelling cannot recreate real life fully.
Was that on a flight to GLA a few days ago Waterhorse? My flight on Tuesday right after take off (A321) and we suddenly lurched to the side. It felt like quite a jolt and as if we were about to do a barrel roll. Didn’t see what took off before us but know we skipped in front of a TK 77W.

S