Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask the staffer

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Do you still have to go round and check all the doors are armed, lavatories empty and secure, galley items secure, etc, even with just two pilots? Or is all that only necessary with passengers on board?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by flatlander
Do you still have to go round and check all the doors are armed, lavatories empty and secure, galley items secure, etc, even with just two pilots? Or is all that only necessary with passengers on board?
There are additional checks to be carried out, but they are mostly to do with fire suppression, so a check that all galley equipment is off prior to the flight, all toilets checked and toilet doors either closed or held open depending on door design. Only the doors required as emergency exits for the flight crew are required to be armed - we only need to evacuate a maximum of two, so we do not need every door.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Waterhorse

There are additional checks to be carried out, but they are mostly to do with fire suppression, so a check that all galley equipment is off prior to the flight, all toilets checked and toilet doors either closed or held open depending on door design. Only the doors required as emergency exits for the flight crew are required to be armed - we only need to evacuate a maximum of two, so we do not need every door.
Interesting stuff. Thanks for the info. Ironically after posting my original question, I watched the 320 that had just arrived in MAD from the lounge and saw only the flight deck crew get off! Presumably on longer ferry flights- think the 380 here- the pilots need to be handy with the galley equipment!
Old Jan 29, 2018, 2:55 pm

No cabin crew required at all for an engineering flight. I have done this a few times and an empty jumbo and just 2 pilots is an eerie thing.
Such a weird, creepy experience isn’t it?
Waterhorse likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 3:02 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Jumbodriver

Such a weird, creepy experience isn’t it?
I suppose those who fly for the likes of DHL and FedEx are fairly used to this experience.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by PoincianaKings
Presumably on longer ferry flights- think the 380 here- the pilots need to be handy with the galley equipment!
No, they just need to recruit some domestic staff: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29274732-post14.html
NeverFirst likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by madfish

I suppose those who fly for the likes of DHL and FedEx are fairly used to this experience.
I have flown in empty freighters before with minimum crew and they just felt empty, a 2 pilot only empty 747 where you expect passengers and crew is somehow weird and eerie. Probably all in one’s mind but it just feels wrong.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 1:37 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold

I have flown in empty freighters before with minimum crew and they just felt empty, a 2 pilot only empty 747 where you expect passengers and crew is somehow weird and eerie. Probably all in one’s mind but it just feels wrong.
What about flying an aircraft on its way to the desert or such, especially if they have already been stripped out? I suppose that is even weirder.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:10 am

How does cargo work in a plane going tech situation. Presumably there might be perishable goods etc ... does BA have to rebook on first available flight or something?
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:52 am

Sitting at T3 and a BA 772 has just taxied past with a Vietnam Airlines engine on it. Surely BA have their own supply of spares, or at least don't want to be flying around with someone else's logo on their aircraft?
Old Feb 2, 2018, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Are you sure? VN don't have 777s and haven't operated any in a while.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by 1010101
Sitting at T3 and a BA 772 has just taxied past with a Vietnam Airlines engine on it. Surely BA have their own supply of spares, or at least don't want to be flying around with someone else's logo on their aircraft?
Airlines do borrow parts from each other - and it's far from unknown for them to be visible parts, presumably on the basis that it's better to do that than to have an AOG.

Isn't it possible, though, that this is just a borrowed nacelle part rather than an entire engine belonging to someone else?
Old Feb 2, 2018, 9:19 am

It looked to me (at the beginning of January) that it was just a bit of engine cowling being used with the VN livery on it, not the whole engine. Someone more qualified than me will be able to confirm
Globaliser likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by rossmacd
It looked to me (at the beginning of January) that it was just a bit of engine cowling being used with the VN livery on it, not the whole engine. Someone more qualified than me will be able to confirm
Yep that's right.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by BA6501
Are you sure? VN don't have 777s and haven't operated any in a while.
That's how Alex Cruz was able to get a bargain on ebay

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.