Wiki Posts
Search

Ask the staffer

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:26 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Waterhorse
Not sure what your point is? Do you work for Sheraton, Hilton, Marriott, Novotel, Apex etc etc etc?

I'm glad that you edited your post and removed the last sentence before I responded, thank you. I was making a fairly obvious point which is that unlike most people who collect Avios and Tier Points on money spent by their company, your employer is the company who controls the currency and sets the rules. I was not trying to be contentious.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by IFE Wizard
No apology needed mate. We were both saying the same thing, that some went to BMED and others to Air Europe.
Seeing all those Cradle seats brought back memories of my first ever trip in business class. Happy days.
IFE Wizard and RoyalSwazi like this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by golfmad

I'm glad that you edited your post and removed the last sentence before I responded, thank you. I was making a fairly obvious point which is that unlike most people who collect Avios and Tier Points on money spent by their company, your employer is the company who controls the currency and sets the rules. I was not trying to be contentious.
You are still missing the point, we are not talking about Avios and TPS rathe4 about hotel points etc, all of which hold a direct parallel in the sense that our company pays for our hotel stops yet we do not get the benefit. Unlike when you travel and get TPS and Avios even though you do not pay. Do you see the parallel? The concept is identical, yet the outcome is different, that BA sets the sets the currency and sets the rule is irrelevant the question was about something else. Hence my original post that I still do not see your point, even after the “clarification”
Old Jan 23, 2018, 10:13 am

You are still missing the point, we are not talking about Avios and TPS rathe4 about hotel points etc, all of which hold a direct parallel in the sense that our company pays for our hotel stops yet we do not get the benefit. Unlike when you travel and get TPS and Avios even though you do not pay. Do you see the parallel? The concept is identical, yet the outcome is different, that BA sets the sets the currency and sets the rule is irrelevant the question was about something else. Hence my original post that I still do not see your point, even after the “clarification”
You are quite correct. I had a senior moment and for some unexplainable reason forgot we were talking about hotels. Looking back at your post (2892), it was your own reference to tier points and Avios that threw me.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by golfmad
You are quite correct. I had a senior moment and for some unexplainable reason forgot we were talking about hotels. Looking back at your post (2892), it was your own reference to tier points and Avios that threw me.
We all have them ,sorry if I was ratty about it.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 10:18 am

We all have them ,sorry if I was ratty about it.
That's ok. I have been taking C-W-S de-escalation classes so this was a good test
Old Jan 23, 2018, 10:35 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Genuine question more out of curiosity. On a flight to LAX last summer I was speaking to several CC and was surprised to hear the flight crew stayed at a different hotel to the CC. I got the impression they seemed a little unhappy that BA now send CC to Anaheim, and that it can sometimes take 2 hours to get to the hotel there which I can well believe in heavy traffic. Compare this to the pilots who apparently/allegedly get to stay in a better hotel and near the beach in LA itself.

Is that true and if so why split the team up at LAX in this instance? Or are the places where crew stay negotiated individually for CC and Pilots and is this only on some routes?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by PETER01
Genuine question more out of curiosity. On a flight to LAX last summer I was speaking to several CC and was surprised to hear the flight crew stayed at a different hotel to the CC. I got the impression they seemed a little unhappy that BA now send CC to Anaheim, and that it can sometimes take 2 hours to get to the hotel there which I can well believe in heavy traffic. Compare this to the pilots who apparently/allegedly get to stay in a better hotel and near the beach in LA itself.

Is that true and if so why split the team up at LAX in this instance? Or are the places where crew stay negotiated individually for CC and Pilots and is this only on some routes?
You're right in saying that CC and F.C. stay in different hotels on occasion. I believe LAX is a location where we stay separately but not too sure; it’s a WW route. Believe it’s because apparently FC and CC have different requirements for their rooms and hotels but could be wrong. I think most hotels we stay in meet requirements for both. YYZ is a destination that springs to mind where we drop off the FC in the swanky hotel and we drive down the road to somewhere considerably less swanky.
PETER01 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:16 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by MFCC
You're right in saying that CC and F.C. stay in different hotels on occasion. I believe LAX is a location where we stay separately but not too sure; it’s a WW route. Believe it’s because apparently FC and CC have different requirements for their rooms and hotels but could be wrong. I think most hotels we stay in meet requirements for both. YYZ is a destination that springs to mind where we drop off the FC in the swanky hotel and we drive down the road to somewhere considerably less swanky.
Thanks for that, appreciated. I'm assuming some of it is down to costs as well given there are much more CC than FC on longer flights.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Do travel times and duty times come into it? Do flight crew have to be closer to the airport than cabin crew so that that they don't spend too much duty time travelling from the hotel to the aircraft? Or are the rules on these things similar for both?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by PETER01
Thanks for that, appreciated. I'm assuming some of it is down to costs as well given there are much more CC than FC on longer flights.
LA is a a place where the attitude of the hotels themselves is more important than cost, although cost does come into it. Essentially in LA the hotels we have used in the past decided they could make more money by renting out to conference and convention guests rather than airlines. Given that there are now a lot more CC than FC it is always easier to find places for the smaller group, finding a hotel that will sell 23 x 2 rooms day, with a no hot bedding clause, for the A380, often dictates which hotels will tender for the business. In LA none of the hotels we used to use a few years ago, where crew all stayed together were interested, as I said they could sell the rooms for more money than BA would pay. For FC, the pay agreements make it more viable to pay a little more to the hotel rather than pay more to the FC in increased duty pay and credit for the trip. It is not so much that FC need better hotels or have differing requirements more the physical number of rooms he hotels were prepared to offer.
PETER01 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I see, thanks.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:49 pm

As CIHY states, which is odd when you think about the Exec Club. Many collect Avios and Tier Points for money spent by their company.
Most hotels won't give points for anything other than directly booked, full rate stays. Any kind of corporate deal usually sees the points nixed in my experience. It's not just airline crew that get shafted.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 10:31 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold

LA is a a place where the attitude of the hotels themselves is more important than cost, although cost does come into it. Essentially in LA the hotels we have used in the past decided they could make more money by renting out to conference and convention guests rather than airlines. Given that there are now a lot more CC than FC it is always easier to find places for the smaller group, finding a hotel that will sell 23 x 2 rooms day, with a no hot bedding clause, for the A380, often dictates which hotels will tender for the business. In LA none of the hotels we used to use a few years ago, where crew all stayed together were interested, as I said they could sell the rooms for more money than BA would pay. For FC, the pay agreements make it more viable to pay a little more to the hotel rather than pay more to the FC in increased duty pay and credit for the trip. It is not so much that FC need better hotels or have differing requirements more the physical number of rooms he hotels were prepared to offer.
What is a "no hot bedding clause"?
Gary999 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by BOH
What is a "no hot bedding clause"?
Given the length of time it takes to turn round a LH aircraft at an outstation it is often possible for inbound and outbound crews to cross in the lobby. It is important that the inbound crew can get a room when they arrive and not to have wait until the outbound rooms have been cleaned and changed.

Hot bedding is, I think a naval term, where the number of beds was less than the number of crew. When one shift got up another would climb into their bunks which were literally warm from the last occupant’s body heat.

The no hot bedding clause means that rooms must be ready on arrival for the inbound crew. For the hotel this can mean a bit of a room shuffle, rather than just putting the inbound crew into the outbound crews rooms. It can be inconvenient for the hotel given their room check in and out times for normal guests.
BOH, adrianlondon and JAXBA like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.