Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask the staffer

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2018, 8:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Is Bisonrav referring to the squawking that emanates from the flight deck suggesting we're about to hit the ground? I imagine there is a technical term for all of this, but you can often hear it in the first few rows of shorthaul Airbuses.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 8:44 am

If it's coming from the cockpit then judging by the description it will be the autopilot disconnect noise.
KARFA, Calum and bisonrav like this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 8:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bisonrav
It's not that noise. More like the chirrup of a phone, but it's not the phone
airbus autopilot disconnect sound. Three chirps and usually can hear it back to about row 8.
bisonrav likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
That sounds quite likely. It seems to sound earlier on Iberia than BA, posssibly the IB airbuses are more highly strung.

All being well I'll hear it again in around two hours time.
Calchas likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 8:48 am
LPQ

Programs: TG *G 20 years
Not a bong. Yes, it's a cross between a chirrup and bell and may come from the cockpit area. Usually about the same altitude just before landing.
bisonrav likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 8:55 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I believe it's at 500 feet.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
This is the A320 autopilot disconnect sound. It should not be followed by a stall warning when you are a passenger in the aircraft

Often (on BA and other carriers) it will be heard sometime a bit after the gear comes down (and therefore the Exit lights come on). If you hear it after the wheels touch the ground, then it was an autoland. Usually this is accompanied by poor weather and an admonition to turn all your electronics off, but if the aircraft or crew want (or need) to practice autoland they may do one in fine weather. There are requirements for crew and aircraft to have done one within some time limits so there can be need for practice.
Sealink, Gary999, tedcruz and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 11:04 am

Can I help you! The flight was LHR to YYZ! I
Thanks!
Old Apr 22, 2018, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I’m not sure that we serve yoghurt on this route, was the yoghurt part of a breakfast meal?
Old Apr 22, 2018, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
I’m not sure that we serve yoghurt on this route, was the yoghurt part of a breakfast meal?
I will find out if he kept the menu, it was possibly at the Concorde room breakfast, as the flight time was 1pm arriving at 4pm, so no breakfast on the plane.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I think that is more likely.
Old May 3, 2018, 5:47 am

Programs: BA Gold
I have a question about checking in with a guest at LHR T5.
I understand that as a Gold I can invite someone to check-in with me at the First desks, use fast track and the First lounge. Please correct me if I’m wrong.The complication is that my guest (flying BA on the same day but to a different destination) is part of a Group booking of some 20 people. Would I be able to extract them from the group to check them in with me or might that cause problems for the group booking?
Old May 3, 2018, 8:29 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by polemi
I have a question about checking in with a guest at LHR T5.
I understand that as a Gold I can invite someone to check-in with me at the First desks, use fast track and the First lounge. Please correct me if I’m wrong.The complication is that my guest (flying BA on the same day but to a different destination) is part of a Group booking of some 20 people. Would I be able to extract them from the group to check them in with me or might that cause problems for the group booking?
I'm not staff, just a BA customer.

For the check-in process, it depends how they have been ticketed. If your guest has an individual PNR which works via OLCI then you are fine to guest him/her through the First Wing in the usual way. However it is more likely that s/he is on some sort of block ticket with the other members of the party, can't do OLCI, and they have a dedicated check in area and agent in Zone G. (First Wing is Zone J so not too far off). After s/he has their boarding pass then they can go through the First Wing as your guest, but in this scenario they won't be checking in luggage over there, that would be done in Zone G.
Old May 3, 2018, 3:32 pm

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
On arrival MAN tonight (Airbus 319) that loud kinda sawing (woof woof) noise around the wing area seemed particular noticeable and went on for quite a bit as we approached the gate and shut down. Someone mentioned it may be the Power Transfer Unit on the Airbus 319/320? Always wondered what it was?
Old May 3, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Telecasterman
On arrival MAN tonight (Airbus 319) that loud kinda sawing (woof woof) noise around the wing area seemed particular noticeable and went on for quite a bit as we approached the gate and shut down. Someone mentioned it may be the Power Transfer Unit on the Airbus 319/320? Always wondered what it was?
A popular question on FT. It's a hydraulic system pressure equaliser.
Telecasterman likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.