Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask the staffer

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2018, 12:38 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Probably because allowing them to fall into place is not good on the system when done repeatedly. Also, would assume the motor is used for raising the wheels in the first place.
Old May 9, 2018, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I like this. A solution to a non-problem.

I would like the landing gear properly [and consistently] placed and locked in the correct position for landing, without relying on the vagaries of aircraft attitude, airspeed and crosswinds.
Old May 9, 2018, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bellslea
Hello Bellslea and welcome to FlyerTalk.

We do have quite a few readers who are visually impaired and rely on screen readers—which either enhance text to a large size or audibly speak the text aloud—to follow the community. Screen readers cannot interpret images and therefore the text in your images will be illegible to them. Please be mindful of this when posting text within images.
NeverFirst and madfish like this.
Old May 9, 2018, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Bellslea
The gravity extension solution does have a few drawbacks. Normally hydraulic pressure opens the gear doors, releases the unlocks and powers the landing gear legs down, then closes the gear doors. When the hydraulics fail we use a mechanical backup. This isolates the hydraulics, mechanically relmeases the gear doors and unlocks and allows the gear to fall with gravity. The gear cannot be raised once this is done. Nor can the gear doors. Should a go around and subsequent diversion be required the fuel burn would be astronomical due to, not only the gear being down but also the gear doors, which are substantial. Climb rates are adversely affected too. So we use it as an emergency system, a back up not for normal operations.

Old May 9, 2018, 4:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Premier (Level 1), Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Diamond (via BA)
Originally Posted by Calchas
Hello Bellslea and welcome to FlyerTalk.

We do have quite a few readers who are visually impaired and rely on screen readers—which either enhance text to a large size or audibly speak the text aloud—to follow the community. Screen readers cannot interpret images and therefore the text in your images will be illegible to them. Please be mindful of this when posting text within images.
Hi Calchas,
This was the reason it was done in this way, to prevent indexing. Please allow this not to happen again.
My apologies
Regards

Originally Posted by Waterhorse

The gravity extension solution does have a few drawbacks. Normally hydraulic pressure opens the gear doors, releases the unlocks and powers the landing gear legs down, then closes the gear doors. When the hydraulics fail we use a mechanical backup. This isolates the hydraulics, mechanically relmeases the gear doors and unlocks and allows the gear to fall with gravity. The gear cannot be raised once this is done. Nor can the gear doors. Should a go around and subsequent diversion be required the fuel burn would be astronomical due to, not only the gear being down but also the gear doors, which are substantial. Climb rates are adversely affected too. So we use it as an emergency system, a back up not for normal operations.

Thank you for this, much appreciated.

Thank you Madfish.
Old May 10, 2018, 2:14 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald), TK Elite (*A Gold)
The other day I flew on an A320 in an exit row seat and noticed that the adjustable air vents above the exit seats were different to the rest of the plane. The two photos below show that they were 'chunkier' and less 'curvy' than the others. What's the reason for the difference, since the effect they produced seemed exactly the same?

Exit row vents:

Vents in the rest of the plane:
Old May 10, 2018, 2:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
what about this air vent? bonus marks if you can identify the plane registration, it is in BA fleet

Old May 11, 2018, 4:32 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Pilot Rostering

A pilot rostering question. Today I was on the BA2688 from LGW to Genoa at 06:40 and we boarded on-time only to be told that the First Officer scheduled to fly had become ill and a replacement was on his way to the aircraft and expected to be here in around 10 minutes, 15 minutes maximum. The Captain explained this is why we had still all boarded on-time as the delay should be minimal.

40 minutes after scheduled departure the Captain again made an announcement that the First Officer had just called him and was just going through security so was now around 10 minutes away! So in the end we pushed-back pretty much 1 hour late.

My question is why could BA not re-roster another First Officer from another flight that was scheduled to depart some 45 minutes or so after ours in order to keep the on-time departure? Then when the replacement First Officer arrived he would then take the place of the one re-rostered to ours? Seems so simple (it probably isn't though) and could wel have kept both flights on-time @:-)
Old May 11, 2018, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by stevebintley
The other day I flew on an A320 in an exit row seat and noticed that the adjustable air vents above the exit seats were different to the rest of the plane. The two photos below show that they were 'chunkier' and less 'curvy' than the others. What's the reason for the difference, since the effect they produced seemed exactly the same?

Exit row vents:

Vents in the rest of the plane:
Probably nicked off an older aircraft. New vs. old Airbus cabin.
Old May 11, 2018, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by BOH
A pilot rostering question. Today I was on the BA2688 from LGW to Genoa at 06:40 and we boarded on-time only to be told that the First Officer scheduled to fly had become ill and a replacement was on his way to the aircraft and expected to be here in around 10 minutes, 15 minutes maximum. The Captain explained this is why we had still all boarded on-time as the delay should be minimal.

40 minutes after scheduled departure the Captain again made an announcement that the First Officer had just called him and was just going through security so was now around 10 minutes away! So in the end we pushed-back pretty much 1 hour late.

My question is why could BA not re-roster another First Officer from another flight that was scheduled to depart some 45 minutes or so after ours in order to keep the on-time departure? Then when the replacement First Officer arrived he would then take the place of the one re-rostered to ours? Seems so simple (it probably isn't though) and could wel have kept both flights on-time @:-)
No. Pilots would not just be lounging around in advance of their normal report time. Particularly at LGW this summer they will be working pretty close to their legal limits. Time at the airport “kicking their heels” simply does not happen. Also taking them off their rostered duty will have knock on effects - they may well not be able to carry out their duty tomorrow etc. That is why there are standby crews. It sounds like a home standby was used and they got there pretty quick. Experience has shown that one flight going late can be managed, throwing a hand grenade into the rostering system for every minor delay leads to no flights going in a few days.

Last edited by Waterhorse; May 11, 2018 at 6:11 am
Old May 11, 2018, 6:13 am
BOH

No
Nice helpful answer, thank you.
Old May 11, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card

No. Pilots would not just be lounging around in advance of their normal report time. Particularly at LGW this summer they will be working pretty close to their legal limits. Time at the airport “kicking their heels” simply does not happen. Also taking them off their rostered duty will have knock on effects - they may well not be able to carry out their duty tomorrow etc. That is why there are standby crews. It sounds like a home standby was used and they got there pretty quick. Experience has shown that one flight going late can be managed, throwing a hand grenade into the rostering system for every minor delay leads to no flights going in a few days.
Whenever I speak to pilots, particularly SH (and I have done so quite a lot lately) about routine etc, I am always struck actually by how quick and slick the whole thing is, from reporting in to wheels up. So as you say - there's not a lounge full of them sitting drinking coffee etc waiting on a call. They seem to be either briefing, prepping the aircraft, flying it or tidying it up afterwards, with little fat to trim in between.

Indeed the pilots I speak to generally seem of a mind that this is one of the key draws of a SH career - you just turn up, prep, fly, and go again. Not too much to worry about outside rostered hours, and most nights spent in your own bed.

That a fair reflection Waterhorse / other staffers?
Old May 11, 2018, 7:17 am
BOH

Originally Posted by Pascoe
So as you say - there's not a lounge full of them sitting drinking coffee etc waiting on a call.
Was that ever even implied / suggested / stated when the question was asked? I just re-read my question....and it was whether a First Office rostered on a plane leaving some 10s of minutes after the one I was one (as in a BA plane of the same type in the same LGW terminal) could easily be switched to the BA2688 and then the First Officer still on the way put on the 10s of minutes later flight (also a BA plane of the same type in the same LGW terminal).

Quite how this was interpreted by either yourself or another as implying BA pilots would be "lounging around" or "kicking their heels" or "sitting drinking coffee waiting for a call" is really beyond me. It was polite question with no direct or or even implied criticism.
Old May 11, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by BOH
Was that ever even implied / suggested / stated when the question was asked? I just re-read my question....and it was whether a First Office rostered on a plane leaving some 10s of minutes after the one I was one (as in a BA plane of the same type in the same LGW terminal) could easily be switched to the BA2688 and then the First Officer still on the way put on the 10s of minutes later flight (also a BA plane of the same type in the same LGW terminal).

Quite how this was interpreted by either yourself or another as implying BA pilots would be "lounging around" or "kicking their heels" or "sitting drinking coffee waiting for a call" is really beyond me. It was polite question with no direct or or even implied criticism.
I think Pascoe is referring to Waterhorse's comment that there is not a lounge full of them waiting about in his initial reply to your question
Old May 11, 2018, 7:39 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Indeed, and even if not, no offence was implied, taken or anything in between.

And without being the staff expert here, in general terms what Waterhorse said makes complete sense in general logistical terms. Grabbing an FO off a later flight is probably robbing Peter to pay Paul. Messes with the max hours, messes with the stability of said pilot's day (ie they may not unreasonably have expectations of a home life based on published roster) and also STILL doesn't mean that you can do away with the standby pilots, except now they'd know that they're even less likely to be actually called to fly.

So having a standby system and using it seems like the more robust option to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.